Concept of offshore Financial Centers
AbstractThis paper proposes a new definition of Offshore Financial Centers (OFCs) and develops a statistical method to differentiate between OFCs and non-OFCs using data from the Coordinated Portfolio Investment Survey (CPIS), the International Investment Position (IIP), and the balance of payments. The suggested methodology identifies more than 80 percent of the OFCs in the study sample that also appear in the a priori list used by the IMF to conduct its OFC assessment program. The methodology distinguishes OFCs based strictly on their macroeconomic features and avoids subjective presumptions on their activities or regulatory frameworks. The study also identifies three new countries meeting OFC criteria.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 07/87.
Date of creation: 01 Apr 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-05-04 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philip R. Lane & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2008.
"International Investment Patterns,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 90(3), pages 538-549, August.
- Lane, Philip R. & Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria, 2004. "International Investment Patterns," CEPR Discussion Papers 4499, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philip R. Lane & Gian-Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2004. "International Investment Patterns," IMF Working Papers 04/134, International Monetary Fund.
- Philip Lane & Gian Maria Milesi-Ferretti, 2005. "International Investment Patterns," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp024, IIIS.
- Luca Errico & Alberto Musalem Borrero, 1999. "Offshore Banking," IMF Working Papers 99/5, International Monetary Fund.
- Marcel Cassard, 1994. "The Role of offshore Centers in International Financial Intermediation," IMF Working Papers 94/107, International Monetary Fund.
- Esther C. Suss & Oral Williams & Chandima Mendis, 2002. "Caribbean offshore Financial Centers," IMF Working Papers 02/88, International Monetary Fund.
- Ballance, Robert H & Forstner, Helmut & Murray, Tracy, 1987. "Consistency Tests of Alternative Measures of Comparative Advantage," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(1), pages 157-61, February.
- Carol C. Bertaut & Linda S. Kole, 2004. "What makes investors over or underweight? explaining international appetites for foreign equities," International Finance Discussion Papers 819, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Nicola Cetorelli & Linda S. Goldberg, 2011.
"Liquidity Management of U.S. Global Banks: Internal Capital Markets in the Great Recession,"
in: Global Financial Crisis
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cetorelli, Nicola & Goldberg, Linda S., 2012. "Liquidity management of U.S. global banks: Internal capital markets in the great recession," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 299-311.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Linda S. Goldberg, 2011. "Liquidity management of U.S. global banks: Internal capital markets in the great recession," NBER Working Papers 17355, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Linda Goldberg, 2011. "Liquidity management of U.S. global banks: internal capital markets in the Great Recession," Staff Reports 511, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Alexandra Peter, 2012. "Bilateral Trade, Openness, and Asset Holdings," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 713-740, September.
- Butkiewicz, James L. & Gordon, Leo-Rey C., 2013. "The Economic Growth Effect of Offshore Banking in Host Territories: Evidence from the Caribbean," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 165-179.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.