Do Economists' and Financial Markets' Perspectiveson the New Members of the Eu Differ?
AbstractIn the past several years, the ten new Central and Eastern European members of the European Union have enjoyed rapid growth but frequently alongside growing external imbalances. Economists have pointed to rising vulnerabilities, but markets compressed sovereign bond yields. This paper examines the evidence from the perspective of economists'' vulnerability analysis and markets'' pricing of sovereign bonds. It finds that spread are lower than can be explained by "fundamentals" and speculates on the causes and permanence of this yield compression.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 07/65.
Date of creation: 01 Mar 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-05-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2007-05-04 (European Economics)
- NEP-HPE-2007-05-04 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-TRA-2007-05-04 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martín González Rozada & Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2006.
"Global Factors and Emerging Market Spreads,"
Research Department Publications
4445, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Martín González Rozada & Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2006. "Global Factors and Emerging Market Spreads," IDB Publications 6703, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Martín González Rozada, 2005. "Global Factors and Emerging Market Spreads," Business School Working Papers globalfactorsspreads, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Gianluigi Ferrucci, 2003. "Empirical determinants of emerging market economies' sovereign bond spreads," Bank of England working papers 205, Bank of England.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Hyungsik R. Moon, 1999.
"Linear Regression Limit Theory for Nonstationary Panel Data,"
Econometric Society, vol. 67(5), pages 1057-1112, September.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Hyungsik R. Moon, 1999. "Linear Regression Limit Theory for Nonstationary Panel Data," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1222, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Manmohan S. Kumar & JirÃ JonÃ¡Å¡ & David Hauner, 2007. "Policy Credibility and Sovereign Credit," IMF Working Papers 07/1, International Monetary Fund.
- Peter Pedroni, 2004.
"Panel Cointegration: Asymptotic and Finite Sample Properties of Pooled Time Series Tests with an Application to the PPP Hypothesis,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2004-15, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Pedroni, Peter, 2004. "Panel Cointegration: Asymptotic And Finite Sample Properties Of Pooled Time Series Tests With An Application To The Ppp Hypothesis," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(03), pages 597-625, June.
- Barry Eichengreen & Ashoka Mody, 2000. "What Explains Changing Spreads on Emerging Market Debt?," NBER Chapters, in: Capital Flows and the Emerging Economies: Theory, Evidence, and Controversies, pages 107-134 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- D B�ttner & B. Hayo, 2012.
"EMU-related news and financial markets in the Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(31), pages 4037-4053, November.
- David Büttner & Bernd Hayo, 2008. "EMU-related News and Financial Markets in the Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland," MAGKS Papers on Economics 200815, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Klaus Regling & Servaas Deroose & Reinhard Felke & Paul Kutos, 2010. "The Euro After Its First Decade : Weathering the Financial Storm and Enlarging the Euro Area," Governance Working Papers 22817, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Herrmann, Sabine & Winkler, Adalbert, 2009.
"Real convergence, financial markets, and the current account - Emerging Europe versus emerging Asia,"
The North American Journal of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 100-123, August.
- Sabine Herrmann & Adalbert Winkler, 2008. "Real convergence, financial markets, and the current account – Emerging Europe versus emerging Asia," Occasional Paper Series 88, European Central Bank.
- Sabine Herrmann & Adalbert Winkler, 2009. "Real convergence, financial markets, and the current account - Emerging Europe versus emerging Asia," European Economy - Economic Papers 362, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Martin CihÃ¡k & Wim Fonteyne, 2009. "Five Years After," IMF Working Papers 09/68, International Monetary Fund.
- Julia Lendvai & Werner Roeger, 2010. "External deficits in the Baltics 1995 to 2007: Catching up or imbalances," European Economy - Economic Papers 398, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Daniel Leigh & Stefania Fabrizio & Ashoka Mody, 2009. "The Second Transition," IMF Working Papers 09/43, International Monetary Fund.
- Herrmann, Sabine & Winkler, Adalbert, 2008.
"Financial markets and the current account: emerging Europe versus emerging Asia,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2008,05, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Sabine Herrmann & Adalbert Winkler, 2009. "Financial markets and the current account: emerging Europe versus emerging Asia," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 145(3), pages 531-550, October.
- Comelli, Fabio, 2012. "Emerging market sovereign bond spreads: Estimation and back-testing," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 598-625.
- Fabio Comelli, 2012. "Emerging Market Sovereign Bond Spreads," IMF Working Papers 12/212, International Monetary Fund.
- Martin Èihák & Srobona Mitra, 2009. "The Financial Crisis and European Emerging Economies," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 59(6), pages 541-553, December.
- Hoffmann Andreas, 2013.
"The Euro as a Proxy for the Classical Gold Standard? Government Debt Financing and Political Commitment in Historical Perspective,"
Journal des Economistes et des Etudes Humaines,
De Gruyter, vol. 19(1), pages 41-61, November.
- Hoffmann, Andreas, 2013. "The euro as a proxy for the classical gold standard? Government debt financing and political commitment in historical perspective," Working Papers 119, University of Leipzig, Faculty of Economics and Management Science.
- International Monetary Fund, 2007. "Vulnerabilities in Emerging Southeastern Europe," IMF Working Papers 07/236, International Monetary Fund.
- Marek Dabrowski, 2009.
"The Global Financial Crisis: Lessons for European Integration,"
CASE Network Studies and Analyses
0384, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Dabrowski, Marek, 2010. "The global financial crisis: Lessons for European integration," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 38-54, March.
- Regling, Klaus & Deroose, Servaas & Felke, Reinhard & Kutos, Paul, 2010. "The Euro After Its First Decade: Weathering the Financial Storm and Enlarging the Euro Area," ADBI Working Papers 205, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Marcin, Piatkowski, 2009. "The Coming Golden Age of New Europe," MPRA Paper 19523, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.