Equity and Private Debt Markets in Central America, Panama, and the Dominican Republic
AbstractThis study focuses on equity, private debt, and asset-backed securities markets in Central America. These markets are generally under-developed throughout the region due to several structural problems, economic and political factors, and weaknesses in regulation and in institutional investor base. The paper identifies key country-specific recommendations to strengthen securities laws, regulatory oversight, market infrastructure, investor base, and new products such as asset-backed securities. Despite these efforts, developing seven viable private capital markets is a difficult goal. The paper thus also explores the benefits and difficulties of creating a single capital market in a region still short of full economic integration.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 07/288.
Date of creation: 01 Dec 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-01-26 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Myers, Stewart C., 1984. "Capital structure puzzle," Working papers 1548-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Myers, Stewart C, 1984. " The Capital Structure Puzzle," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 575-92, July.
- Stewart C. Myers, 1984. "Capital Structure Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 1393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diamond, Douglas W, 1984. "Financial Intermediation and Delegated Monitoring," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 393-414, July.
- Olatundun Janet Adelegan, 2009. "The impact of the regional cross-listing of stocks on firm value in sub-Saharan Africa," IMF Working Papers 09/99, International Monetary Fund.
- International Monetary Fund, 2008. "Can Regional Cross-listings Accelerate Stock Market Development? Empirical Evidence from Sub-Saharan Africa," IMF Working Papers 08/281, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.