Public Pension Reform: A Primer
AbstractThe present paper reviews key issues in pension design and pension reform encountered all across the world. The paper heavily refers to the recent U.S. Social Security reform debate in general and to the Personal Retirement Accounts proposal in particular. A particular emphasis is put on annuitization and risk-taking in the economy. Our discussion signals some inadequacy of the proposed measures with respect to the goals of viability of the system and individual financial security during retirement.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 07/28.
Date of creation: 01 Feb 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGE-2007-06-02 (Economics of Ageing)
- NEP-ALL-2007-06-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-PBE-2007-06-02 (Public Economics)
- NEP-PUB-2007-06-02 (Public Finance)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aggarwal, Raj & Goodell, John W., 2013. "Political-economy of pension plans: Impact of institutions, gender, and culture," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 1860-1879.
- Ferro, Gustavo, 2008. "On annuities: an overview of the issues," MPRA Paper 20209, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Oct 2009.
- Grech, Aaron George, 2013.
"How best to measure pension adequacy,"
46126, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sergio Clavijo, 2009. "Social Security Reforms in Colombia: Striking Demographic and Fiscal Balances," IMF Working Papers 09/58, International Monetary Fund.
- Ferro, Gustavo, 2008.
"Un impulso al mercado de rentas vitalicias en España
[Promoting the annuities market in Spain]," MPRA Paper 20211, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jul 2008.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.