Decomposing Financial Risks and Vulnerabilities in Eastern Europe
AbstractThis paper assesses how various types of financial risk such as credit risk, market risk, and liquidity risk affect banking stability in the ten countries that joined the European Union most recently, and eight neighboring countries. It also examines how the quality of supervisory standards may have mitigated the vulnerabilities arising from these risk factors. Using panel data, the study finds substantial variation in the impacts of financial risks, the macroeconomic environment, and supervisory standards on banks' risk profile across different country clusters. Credit quality is of general concern especially in circumstances where credit growth is accelerating.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 07/248.
Date of creation: 01 Oct 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-03-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2008-03-01 (Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2008-03-01 (European Economics)
- NEP-RMG-2008-03-01 (Risk Management)
- NEP-TRA-2008-03-01 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nancy L. Wagner & Dora M. Iakova, 2001. "Financial Sector Evolution in the Central European Economies:Challenges in Supporting Macroeconomic Stability and Sustainable Growth," IMF Working Papers 01/141, International Monetary Fund.
- Olivier Blanchard, 2007.
"Current Account Deficits in Rich Countries,"
Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 54(2), pages 127-158, June.
- Lin, Shu Ling & Penm, Jack H.W. & Gong, Shang-Chi & Chang, Ching-Shan, 2005. "Risk-based capital adequacy in assessing on insolvency-risk and financial performances in Taiwan's banking industry," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 111-153, March.
- Richard Portes & Helene Rey, 1999.
"The Determinants of Cross-Border Equity Flows,"
NBER Working Papers
7336, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Portes & Hélène Rey, 2001. "The Determinants of Cross-Border Equity Flows," DELTA Working Papers 2001-08, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Portes, Richard & Rey, Hélène, 1999. "The Determinants of Cross-Border Equity Flows," CEPR Discussion Papers 2225, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- R Portes & H Rey, 2000. "The Determinants Of Cross-Border Equity Flows," CEP Discussion Papers dp0446, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Ilko Naaborg & Bert Scholtens & Jakob de Haan & Hanneke Bol & Ralph de Haas, 2003. "How Important are Foreign Banks in the Financial Development of European Transition Countries?," CESifo Working Paper Series 1100, CESifo Group Munich.
- Richard Podpiera, 2006.
"Does Compliance with Basel Core Principles Bring Any Measurable Benefits?,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 53(2), pages 5.
- Richard Podpiera, 2004. "Does Compliance with Basel Core Principles Bring Any Measurable Benefits?," IMF Working Papers 04/204, International Monetary Fund.
- János Vincze, 2001. "Financial Stability, Monetary Policy and Integration: Policy Choices for Transition Economies," MNB Working Papers 2001/4, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (the central bank of Hungary).
- Cottarelli, Carlo & Dell'Ariccia, Giovanni & Vladkova-Hollar, Ivanna, 2005.
"Early birds, late risers, and sleeping beauties: Bank credit growth to the private sector in Central and Eastern Europe and in the Balkans,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 83-104, January.
- Ivanna Vladkova Hollar & Giovanni Dell'Ariccia & Carlo Cottarelli, 2003. "Early Birds, Late Risers, and Sleeping Beauties: Bank Credit Growth to the Private Sector in Central and Eastern Europe and in the Balkans," IMF Working Papers 03/213, International Monetary Fund.
- IstvÃ¡n P. SzÃ©kely & ÃdÃ¡m KÃ³bor, 2004.
"Foreign Exchange Market Volatility in EU Accession Countries in the Run-up to Euro Adoption: Weathering Uncharted Waters,"
IMF Working Papers
04/16, International Monetary Fund.
- Kobor, Adam & Szekely, Istvan P., 2004. "Foreign exchange market volatility in EU accession countries in the run-up to Euro adoption: weathering uncharted waters," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 337-352, December.
- Peter Backé & Christian Thimann & Olga Arratibel & Oscar Calvo-Gonzalez & Arnaud Mehl & Carolin Nerlich, 2004. "The acceding countries’ strategies towards ERM II and the adoption of the euro - an analytical review," Occasional Paper Series 10, European Central Bank.
- Anne Marie Gulde & Juha KÃ¤hkÃ¶nen & Peter Keller, 2000. "Pros and Cons of Currency Board Arrangements in the Lead-Up to EU Accession and Participation in the Euro Zone," IMF Policy Discussion Papers 00/1, International Monetary Fund.
- Louis Kuijs & Alain Borghijs, 2004. "Exchange Rates in Central Europe: a Blessing or a Curse?," IMF Working Papers 04/2, International Monetary Fund.
- Udaibir S. Das & Plamen Yossifov & Richard Podpiera & Dmitriy Rozhkov, 2005. "Quality of Financial Policies and Financial System Stress," IMF Working Papers 05/173, International Monetary Fund.
- Ceyla Pazarbasioglu & Gudrun Johnsen & Paul Louis Ceriel Hilbers & Inci Ã–tker, 2005. "Assessing and Managing Rapid Credit Growth and the Role of Supervisory and Prudential Policies," IMF Working Papers 05/151, International Monetary Fund.
- International Monetary Fund, 2003. "Competitiveness in the Baltics in the Run-Up to EU Accession," IMF Staff Country Reports 03/114, International Monetary Fund.
- DeLisle Worrell, 2004. "Quantitative Assessment of the Financial Sector: An Integrated Approach," IMF Working Papers 04/153, International Monetary Fund.
- International Monetary Fund, 2007. "Vulnerabilities in Emerging Southeastern Europe-How Much Cause for Concern?," IMF Working Papers 07/236, International Monetary Fund.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2005. "Foreign direct investment in the financial sector - experiences in Asia, central and eastern Europe and Latin America," CGFS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, number 25.
- Gianni De Nicolo, 2000. "Size, charter value and risk in banking: an international perspective," International Finance Discussion Papers 689, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Michele Manna, 2004. "Developing statistical indicators of the integration of the euro area banking system," Working Paper Series 300, European Central Bank.
- Philip Lowe & Claudio Borio, 2002. "Asset prices, financial and monetary stability: exploring the nexus," BIS Working Papers 114, Bank for International Settlements.
- de Walque, Gregory & Pierrard, Olivier & Rouabah, Abdelaziz, 2009.
"Financial (In)stability, Supervision and Liquidity Injections: A Dynamic General Equilibrium Approach,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7202, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gregory deWalque & Olivier Pierrard & Abdelaziz Rouabah, 2010. "Financial (In)Stability, Supervision and Liquidity Injections: A Dynamic General Equilibrium Approach," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 120(549), pages 1234-1261, December.
- Gregory de Walque & Olivier Pierrard & Abdelaziz Rouabah, 2008. "Financial (in)stability, supervision and liquidity injections : a dynamic general equilibrium approach," Working Paper Research 148, National Bank of Belgium.
- Gregory DE WALQUE & Olivier PIERRARD & Abdelaziz ROUABAH, 2009. "Financial (in)stability, supervision and liquidity injections : a dynamic general equilibrium approach," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2009006, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Gregory de Walque & Olivier Pierrard & Abdelaziz Rouabah, 2008. "Financial (in)stability, supervision and liquidity injections: a dynamic general equilibrium approach," BCL working papers 35, Central Bank of Luxembourg.
- Berger, Allen N. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Korhonen, Iikka & Zhou, Mingming, 2010. "Does diversification increase or decrease bank risk and performance? Evidence on diversification and the risk-return tradeoff in banking," BOFIT Discussion Papers 9/2010, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Ghosh, Saibal, 2010. "Credit Growth, Bank Soundness and Financial Fragility: Evidence from Indian Banking Sector," MPRA Paper 24715, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.