Banking Competition and Capital Ratios
AbstractWe use data for more than 2,600 European banks to test whether increased competition causes banks to hold higher capital ratios. Employing panel data techniques, and distinguishing between the competitive conduct of small and large banks, we show that banks tend to hold higher capital ratios when operating in a more competitive environment. This result holds when controlling for the degree of concentration in banking systems, inter-industry competition, characteristics of the wider financial system, and the regulatory and institutional environment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 07/216.
Date of creation: 01 Sep 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-11-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2007-11-03 (Banking)
- NEP-COM-2007-11-03 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CSE-2007-11-03 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EEC-2007-11-03 (European Economics)
- NEP-EFF-2007-11-03 (Efficiency & Productivity)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Franklin Allen & Elena Carletti & Robert Marquez, 0.
"Credit Market Competition and Capital Regulation,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 24(4), pages 983-1018.
- Franklin Allen & Elena Carletti & Robert Marquez, 2006. "Credit market competition and capital regulation," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2006-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Franklin Allen & Elena Carletti & Robert Marquez, 2009. "Credit Market Competition and Capital Regulation," Economics Working Papers ECO2009/08, European University Institute.
- Allen, Franklin & Carletti, Elena & Marquez, Robert, 2005. "Credit market competition and capital regulation," CFS Working Paper Series 2005/23, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Aiyar, Shekhar & Calomiris , Charles W & Wieladek, Tomasz, 2012.
"Does macropru leak? Evidence from a UK policy experiment,"
Bank of England working papers
445, Bank of England.
- Shekhar Aiyar & Charles W. Calomiris & Tomasz Wieladek, 2012. "Does Macro-Pru Leak? Evidence from a UK Policy Experiment," NBER Working Papers 17822, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elijah Brewer III & George Kaufman & Larry Wall, 2008.
"Bank Capital Ratios Across Countries: Why Do They Vary?,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 177-201, December.
- Elijah Brewer, III & George G. Kaufman & Larry D. Wall, 2008. "Bank capital ratios across countries: why do they vary?," Working Paper 2008-27, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Berger, Allen N. & Klapper, Leora F. & Turk-Ariss, Rima, 2008.
"Bank competition and financial stability,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4696, The World Bank.
- Steve Mercieca & Klaus Schaeck & Simon Wolfe, 2009. "Bank Market Structure, Competition, and SME Financing Relationships in European Regions," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 137-155, December.
- Ekin Ayse Ozsuca & Elif Akbostanci, 2012. "An Empirical Analysis of the Risk Taking Channel of Monetary Policy in Turkey," ERC Working Papers 1208, ERC - Economic Research Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Dec 2012.
- Beck, Thorsten, 2008. "Bank competition and financial stability : friends or foes ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4656, The World Bank.
- Horst Gischer & Toni Richter, 2011. "'Global Player' im Bankenwesen - ökonomisch sinnvoll oder problembehaftet?," FEMM Working Papers 110012, Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg, Faculty of Economics and Management.
- Patrick Kampkoetter, 2012. "Determinants of Compensation in the Financial Services Industry," Cologne Graduate School Working Paper Series 03-12, Cologne Graduate School in Management, Economics and Social Sciences.
- Elmas Yaldiz & Flavio Bazzana, 2010. "The effect of market power on bank risk taking in Turkey," Financial Theory and Practice, Institute of Public Finance, vol. 34(3), pages 297-314.
- Cândida Ferreira, 2011. "European integration and banking efficiency: a panel cost frontier approach," Working Papers 2011/04, Department of Economics at the School of Economics and Management (ISEG), Technical University of Lisbon..
- Stijn Claessens, 2009.
"Competition in the Financial Sector: Overview of Competition Policies,"
IMF Working Papers
09/45, International Monetary Fund.
- Stijn Claessens, 2009. "Competition in the Financial Sector: Overview of Competition Policies," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 24(1), pages 83-118, April.
- Fonseca, Ana Rosa & González, Francisco, 2010. "How bank capital buffers vary across countries: The influence of cost of deposits, market power and bank regulation," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 892-902, April.
- Memmel, Christoph & Schertler, Andrea, 2009. "The dependency of the banks' assets and liabilities: evidence from Germany," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2009,14, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Uhde, André & Heimeshoff, Ulrich, 2009.
"Consolidation in banking and financial stability in Europe: empirical evidence,"
IWQW Discussion Paper Series
02/2009, Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Institut für Wirtschaftspolitik und Quantitative Wirtschaftsforschung (IWQW).
- Uhde, André & Heimeshoff, Ulrich, 2009. "Consolidation in banking and financial stability in Europe: Empirical evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 1299-1311, July.
- Ariss, Rima Turk, 2010. "Competitive conditions in Islamic and conventional banking: A global perspective," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 101-108, August.
- Mamonov, Mikhail, 2012. "The impact of market power of Russian banks on their credit risk tolerance: A panel study," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 28(4), pages 85-112.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.