Competitiveness in the CFA Franc Zone
AbstractThis paper reviews the evolution of competitiveness in the CFA franc zone using a proposed comprehensive competitiveness framework. In particular, we examine competitiveness in the WAEMU and CEMAC regions by analyzing the "environment" and "policy" components of competitiveness and their quantifiable determinants, including indicators to measure productivity and labor market conditions, prices and costs, macroeconomic performance, business environment, governance, and technology and infrastructure. Our findings suggest that despite some recent improvements-particularly for the CEMAC-both regions face serious competitiveness challenges when compared to pier groups of countries. In order to become more competitive, raise growth, and improve the quality of life, there is a need for structural reform to improve productivity, reduce factor costs, and create the right business, legal, and political environment to attract economic activity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 07/212.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2007-10-13 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2007-10-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2007-10-13 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EFF-2007-10-13 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-MAC-2007-10-13 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luca Buldorini & Stelios Makrydakis & Christian Thimann, 2002. "The effective exchange rates of the euro," Occasional Paper Series 02, European Central Bank.
- Dominique Desruelle & Alessandro Zanello, 1997. "A Primeron the IMF's Information Notice System," IMF Working Papers 97/71, International Monetary Fund.
- Leslie Lipschitz & Donogh McDonald, 1991. "Real Exchange Rates and Competitiveness," IMF Working Papers 91/25, International Monetary Fund.
- Ernesto HernÃ¡ndez-CatÃ¡ & C. A. FranÃ§ois, 1998. "The West African Economic and Monetary Union," IMF Occasional Papers 170, International Monetary Fund.
- Cockburn, J. & Siggel, E. & Coulibaly, M. & Vezina, S., 1998.
"Measuring Competitiveness and Its Sources: The Case of Mali's Manufacturing Sector,"
Equity and Growth through Economic Research, EAGER Publication/BHM
16, EAGER Publication/BHM.
- Cockburn, J. & Siggel, E. & Coulibaly, M. & Vezina, S., 1998. "Measuring Competitiveness and Its Sources: The Case of Mali's Manufacturing Sector," Papers, Bell Communications - Economic Research Group 16, Bell Communications - Economic Research Group.
- Cashin, Paul & Cespedes, Luis F. & Sahay, Ratna, 2004.
"Commodity currencies and the real exchange rate,"
Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 239-268, October.
- Paul Cashin & Luis Felipe Céspedes & Ratna Sahay, 2003. "Commodity Currencies and the Real Exchange Rate," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile, Central Bank of Chile 236, Central Bank of Chile.
- Yasser Abdih & Charalambos Tsangarides, 2010.
"FEER for the CFA franc,"
Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(16), pages 2009-2029.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, October.
- Ian W. Marsh & Stephen Tokarick, 1994. "Competitiveness Indicators," IMF Working Papers 94/29, International Monetary Fund.
- Hinkle, Lawrence E. & Monteil, Peter J. (ed.), 1999. "Exchange Rate Misalignment: Concepts and Measurement for Developing Countries," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, number 9780195211269, October.
- Kuikeu, Oscar, 2011.
"Comment la dernière crise financière a relancé le débat relatif à l'arrimage du fcfa à l'euro
[How the recent financial crisis have revived the debate on the parity between fcfa and euro]," MPRA Paper 32077, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Corinne DelÃ©chat & Matthew Gaertner, 2008. "Exchange Rate Assessment in a Resource-Dependent Economy," IMF Working Papers 08/83, International Monetary Fund.
- Mahvash Saeed Qureshi, 2008. "Africa's Oil Abundance and External Competitiveness," IMF Working Papers 08/172, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.