Cooperative Banks and Financial Stability
AbstractCooperative banks are an important, and growing, part of many financial systems. This paper empirically analyzes the role of cooperative banks in financial stability. Contrary to some suggestions in the literature, we find that cooperative banks are more stable than commercial banks. This finding is due to the lower volatility of the cooperative banks'' returns, which more than offsets their lower profitability and capitalization. This is most likely due to cooperative banks'' ability to use customer surplus as a cushion in weaker periods. We also find that in systems with a high presence of cooperative banks, weak commercial banks are less stable than they would be otherwise. The overall impact of a higher cooperative presence on bank stability is positive on average but insignificant in some specifications.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 07/2.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin CihÃ¡k & Simon Wolfe & Klaus Schaeck, 2006. "Are More Competitive Banking Systems More Stable?," IMF Working Papers 06/143, International Monetary Fund.
- International Monetary Fund, 2004. "Germany's Three-Pillar Banking System," IMF Occasional Papers 233, International Monetary Fund.
- Beck, H.T.L. & Cull, R. & Jerome, A., 2005.
"Bank privatization and performance: Empirical evidence from Nigeria,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125503, Tilburg University.
- Beck, Thorsten & Cull, Robert & Jerome, Afeikhena, 2005. "Bank privatization and performance: Empirical evidence from Nigeria," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(8-9), pages 2355-2379, August.
- Beck, Thorsten & Cull, Robert & Jerome, Afeikhena, 2005. "Bank privatization and performance - emprical evidence from Nigeria," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3511, The World Bank.
- Fabio R. Chaddad & Michael L. Cook, 2004. "The Economics of Organization Structure Changes: a US perspective on demutualization," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 75(4), pages 575-594, December.
- Carlos E. Cuevas & Klaus P. Fischer, 2006. "Cooperative Financial Institutions : Issues in Governance, Regulation, and Supervision," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7107, October.
- Martin Desrochers & Klaus P. Fischer, 2005.
"The Power of Networks: Integration and Financial Cooperative Performance,"
Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 76(3), pages 307-354, 09.
- Martin Desrochers & Klaus P. Fischer, 2005. "The Power of Networks: Integration and Financial Cooperative Performance," Cahiers de recherche 0514, CIRPEE.
- Altunbas, Yener & Evans, Lynne & Molyneux, Philip, 2001. "Bank Ownership and Efficiency," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(4), pages 926-54, November.
- Franklin Allen & Douglas Gale, 2004.
"Competition and financial stability,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 453-486.
- Valnek, Tomas, 1999. "The comparative performance of mutual building societies and stock retail banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 925-938, June.
- Michele Moretto & Gianpaolo Rossini, 2008.
"Are Workers Enterprises Entry Policies Conventional?,"
"Marco Fanno" Working Papers
0066, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- Michele Moretto & Gianpaolo Rossini, 2008. "Are Workers' Enterprises Entry Policies Conventional?," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 22(2), pages 369-381, 06.
- Michele Moretto & Gianpaolo Rossini, 2007. "Are Workers. Enterprises Entry Policies Conventional," Working Papers 2007.31, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- M. Moretto & G. Rossini, 2007. "Are Workers' Enterprises entry policies conventional?," Working Papers 582, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Hussein, Kassim, 2010. "Bank level stability factors and consumer confidence – a comparative study of Islamic and conventional banks’ product mix," MPRA Paper 21800, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Anolli, Mario & Beccalli, Elena & Molyneux, Philip, 2014. "Bank earnings forecasts, risk and the crisis," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 29(C), pages 309-335.
- Sargu Alina Camelia & Roman Angela, 2013. "A CROSS-COUNTRY ANALYSIS OF THE BANKSâ€(tm) FINANCIAL SOUNDNESS: THE CASE OF THE CEE-3 COUNTRIES," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(1), pages 357-367, July.
- Fiordelisi, Franco & Mare, Davide Salvatore, 2013. "Probability of default and efficiency in cooperative banking," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 30-45.
- Martin Čihák & Heiko Hesse, 2010. "Islamic Banks and Financial Stability: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 95-113, December.
- Sarkisyan, Anna & Casu, Barbara, 2013. "Retained interests in securitisations and implications for bank solvency," Working Paper Series 1538, European Central Bank.
- Wim Fonteyne, 2007. "Cooperative Banks in Europe," IMF Working Papers 07/159, International Monetary Fund.
- ap Gwilym, Rhys & Kanas, Angelos & Molyneux, Philip, 2013. "U.S. prompt corrective action and bank risk," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 239-257.
- Martin CIHAK, 2007. "Systemic Loss: A Measure of Financial Stability (in English)," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 57(1-2), pages 5-26, March.
- Eva Gutierrez, 2008. "The Reform of Italian Cooperative Banks," IMF Working Papers 08/74, International Monetary Fund.
- Lepetit, Laetitia & Strobel, Frank, 2013. "Bank insolvency risk and time-varying Z-score measures," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 73-87.
- Frank Schmielewski & Thomas Wein, 2012. "Are private banks the better banks? An insight into the principal-agent structure and risk-taking behavior of German banks," Working Paper Series in Economics 236, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Stefano Di Colli & Juan Sergio Lopez, 2013. "Bank Lending Procyclicality and Credit Quality during Financial Crises," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1309, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Köhler, Matthias, 2012. "Which banks are more risky? The impact of loan growth and business model on bank risk-taking," Discussion Papers 33/2012, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Fiordelisi, Franco & Mare, Davide Salvatore, 2014. "Competition and financial stability in European cooperative banks," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 1-16.
- Tara Deelchand & Carol Padgett, 2009. "The Relationship between Risk, Capital and Efficiency: Evidence from Japanese Cooperative Banks," ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance icma-dp2009-12, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Martin CihÃ¡k & Heiko Hesse, 2008. "Islamic Banks and Financial Stability," IMF Working Papers 08/16, International Monetary Fund.
- Omar Masood & Ghulam Shabbir Khan Niazi & Noryati Ahmad, 2011. "Empirical evidence on the risk management tools practised in Islamic and conventional banks," Qualitative Research in Financial Markets, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(2), pages 105-116, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.