Estimation of a Behavioral Equilibrium Exchange Rate Model for Ghana
AbstractThe paper estimates a behavioral equilibrium exchange rate model for Ghana. Regression results show that most of the REER''s long-run behavior can be explained by real GDP growth, real interest rate differentials (both relative to trading-partner countries), and the real world prices of Ghana''s main export commodities. On the basis of these fundamentals, the REER in late 2006 was found to be very close to its estimated equilibrium level. The results also suggest, that deviations from the equilibrium path are eliminated within two to three years.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 07/155.
Date of creation: 01 Jul 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leslie Lipschitz & Donogh McDonald, 1991. "Real Exchange Rates and Competitiveness," IMF Working Papers 91/25, International Monetary Fund.
- Taline Koranchelian, 2005. "The Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate in a Commodity Exporting Country," IMF Working Papers 05/135, International Monetary Fund.
- John Cady, 2003. "The Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate of the Malagasy Franc," IMF Working Papers 03/28, International Monetary Fund.
- Ronald MacDonald & Peter B. Clark, 1998. "Exchange Rates and Economic Fundamentals," IMF Working Papers 98/67, International Monetary Fund.
- Ronald MacDonald, 1997. "What Determines Real Exchange Rates? The Long and Short of it," IMF Working Papers 97/21, International Monetary Fund.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A. & Rose, Andrew K., 1995. "Empirical research on nominal exchange rates," Handbook of International Economics, Elsevier, in: G. M. Grossman & K. Rogoff (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 33, pages 1689-1729 Elsevier.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Paul Cashin & Luis Felipe Céspedes & Ratna Sahay, 2003.
"Commodity Currencies and the Real Exchange Rate,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile, Central Bank of Chile
236, Central Bank of Chile.
- Charalambos G. Tsangarides & Yasser Abdih, 2006.
"FEER for the CFA Franc,"
IMF Working Papers
06/236, International Monetary Fund.
- Dağdeviren, Sengül & Ogus Binatli, Ayla & Sohrabji, Niloufer, 2011.
"Misalignment under different exchange rate regimes: the case of Turkey,"
46774, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sengül Dagdeviren & Ayla Ogu? Binatli & Niloufer Sohrabji, 2012. "Misalignment Under Different Exchange Rate Regimes: the Case of Turkey," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, CEPII research center, issue 130, pages 81-98.
- Shehu Usman Rano, Aliyu, 2007.
"Real Exchange Rate Misalignment: An Application of Behavioral Equilibrium Exchange Rate (BEER) to Nigeria,"
10376, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Shehu Usman Rano, Aliyu, 2008. "Real Exchange Rate Misalignment: An Application of Behavioral Equilibrium Exchange Rate (BEER) to Nigeria," MPRA Paper 10343, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gilles Duffrenot & Kimiko Sugimoto, 2010. "Pegging the future West African single currency in regard to internal/external competitiveness: a counterfactual analysis," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp974, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Sosunov, K. & Ushakov, N., 2009. "Determination of the Real Exchange Rate of the Ruble and Assessment of Long-Run Policy of Real Exchange Rate Targeting," Journal of the New Economic Association, New Economic Association, New Economic Association, issue 3-4, pages 97-121.
- Ho-don Yan & Cheng-lang Yang, 2012. "Does an Undervalued Currency Merit Economic Growth? – Evidence from Taiwan," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 59(1), pages 37-57, March.
- Sossounov, Kirill & Ushakov, Nikolay, 2009. "Determination of the real exchange rate of rouble and assessment of long-rum policy of real exchange rate targeting," MPRA Paper 18549, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.