Do Unit Value Export, Import, and Terms of Trade Indices Represent or Misrepresent Price Indices?
AbstractUnit value export and import indices compiled from returns to customs authorities are often used as surrogates for price indices in the measurement of inflation transmission, terms of trade (effects), and to deflate import and export value series to derive volume series. Their widespread use is mainly due to their relatively low cost compared with establishment price surveys. This paper provides evidence of substantial bias in their representation of such price changes. Their continued use would mislead economic analysis. The paper considers the efficacy of alternative strategies for their improvement, and argues for a move to establishment-based price surveys.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 07/121.
Date of creation: 01 May 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hoffmann, Johannes & Kurz-Kim, Jeong-Ryeol, 2006.
"Consumer price adjustment under the microscope: Germany in a period of low inflation,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2006,16, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Hoffmann, Johannes & Kurz-Kim, Jeong-Ryeol, 2006. "Consumer price adjustment under the microscope: Germany in a period of low inflation," Working Paper Series 0652, European Central Bank.
- Julien Martin, 2010.
"Markups, Quality and Transport Costs,"
2010-17, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Julien Martin, 2009. "Spatial Price Discrimination in International Markets," Working Papers 2009-21, CEPII research center.
- Guillaume Gaulier & Julien Martin & Isabelle Méjean & Soledad Zignago, 2008. "International Trade Price Indices," Working Papers 2008-10, CEPII research center.
- Konstantin M. Wacker, 2011. "The Impact of Foreign Direct Investment on Developing Countries’ Terms of Trade," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Working Paper W, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Gabor Bekes & Balazs Murakozy & Zsuzsa Munkacsi & Gabor Oblath, 2013. "Unit Values, Unit Labor Costs and Trade Performance in Four Central European Countries," IEHAS Discussion Papers 1329, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Fu, Xiaolan & Kaplinsky, Raphael & Zhang, Jing, 2012. "The Impact of China on Low and Middle Income Countries’ Export Prices in Industrial-Country Markets," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(8), pages 1483-1496.
- Kerstin Stahn, 2007. "Has the Export Pricing Behaviour of German Enterprises Changed? Empirical Evidence from German Sectoral Export Prices," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 227(3), pages 295-329, June.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2008:i:5:p:1-15 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mick Silver, 2009. "An Index Number Formula Problem," IMF Working Papers 09/19, International Monetary Fund.
- Dominique Peters, 2010. "Price Competitiveness in Central and Eastern Europe - a case study for transition economies," IMK Studies 01-2010, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Jarkko Turunen & Richard T. Harmsen & Tamim Bayoumi, 2011. "Euro Area Export Performance and Competitiveness," IMF Working Papers 11/140, International Monetary Fund.
- Ceglowski, Janet, 2010. "Exchange rate pass-through to bilateral import prices," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(8), pages 1637-1651, December.
- Roberto Álvarez; J. & Rodrigo Fuentes, 2009.
"Entry into Export Markets and Product Quality Differences,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
536, Central Bank of Chile.
- Roberto Álvarez; Rodrigo Fuentes. & Rodrigo Fuentes., 2009. "Entry into Export Markets and Product Quality Differences," Documentos de Trabajo 367, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Lawrence L Schembri, 2010. "Discussion of Terms of Trade Shocks and Fiscal Cycles," RBA Annual Conference Volume, in: Renée Fry & Callum Jones & Christopher Kent (ed.), Inflation in an Era of Relative Price Shocks Reserve Bank of Australia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.