Uncovered Interest Parity
AbstractThis paper provides an overview of the uncovered interest parity assumption. It traces the history of the interest parity concept, summarizes evidence on the empirical validity of uncovered interest parity, and discusses different interpretations of the evidence and the implications for macroeconomic analysis. The uncovered interest parity assumption has been an important building block in multiperiod models of open economies, and although its validity is strongly challenged by the empirical evidence, at least at short time horizons, its retention in macroeconomic models is supported on pragmatic grounds by the lack of much empirical support for existing models of the exchange risk premium.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 06/96.
Date of creation: 01 Apr 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-08-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2006-08-05 (Central Banking)
- NEP-FMK-2006-08-05 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-IFN-2006-08-05 (International Finance)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Levent, Korap, 2007. "Does the interest differential explain future exchange rate return? a re-examination of the UIP hypothesis for the Turkish economy," MPRA Paper 19618, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:eid:wpaper:02/11 is not listed on IDEAS
- Evsey Gurvich & Vladimir Sokolov & Alexey Ulyukaev, 2009. "Analysis of the Relationship Between the Exchange Rate Policy of the Russian Central Bank and the Interest Rates: Uncovered and Covered Parity," Journal of the New Economic Association, New Economic Association, New Economic Association, issue 1-2, pages 104-126.
- Levent, Korap, 2010.
"Does the uncovered interest parity hold in short horizons?,"
20788, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ozgur Aslan & H. Levent Korap, 2010. "Does the uncovered interest parity hold in short horizons?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(4), pages 361-365.
- Li, Dandan & Ghoshray, A. & Morley, B., 2011. "Uncovered Interest Parity and the Risk Premium," Department of Economics Working Papers, University of Bath, Department of Economics 24072, University of Bath, Department of Economics.
- Loring, Grace & Lucey, Brian, 2013. "An analysis of forward exchange rate biasedness across developed and developing country currencies: Do observed patterns persist out of sample?," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 17(C), pages 14-28.
- HOROBET Alexandra Lavinia & DUMITRESCU Sorin-Adrian & DUMITRESCU Dan-Gabriel, 2009. "Exchange Rates And Volatility In Central And Eastern Europe: A Test For Uncovered Interest Parity," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 3(1), pages 552-557, May.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2008. "FX reserve management: trends and challenges," BIS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, Bank for International Settlements, number 40, 8.
- Rodrigo Caputo G. & Marco Núñez N. & Rodrigo O. Valdés P., 2008.
"Exchange Rate Analysis in Practice,"
Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile,
Central Bank of Chile, vol. 11(1), pages 61-91, April.
- Rodrigo Caputo & Marco Núñez & Rodrigo Valdés, 2007. "Exchange Rate Analysis in Practice," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile, Central Bank of Chile 434, Central Bank of Chile.
- Rodrigo Caputo G. & Marco Núñez N. & Rodrigo Valdés P., 2008. "Análisis del tipo de cambio en la práctica," Investigación Conjunta - español, , , edition 1, volume 1, number 1-11 edited by Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos (CEMLA), December.
- Erdemlioglu, Deniz M, 2007. "A new Test of Uncovered Interest Rate Parity: Evidence from Turkey," MPRA Paper 10787, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Brian Lucey & Grace Loring, 2012. "Forward Exchange Rate Biasedness across Developed and Developing Country Currencies - Do Observed Patterns Persist Out of Sample?Abstract:," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series, IIIS iiisdp404, IIIS.
- M. Hadzi-Vaskov & C.J.M. Kool, 2006. "The importance of interest rate volatility in empirical tests of uncovered interest parity," Working Papers, Utrecht School of Economics 06-16, Utrecht School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.