Isone Watchdog Better Than Three? International Experience with Integrated Financial Sector Supervision
AbstractOver the past two decades, there has been a clear trend toward integrating the regulation and supervision of banks, nonbank financial institutions, and securities markets. This paper reviews the international experience with integrated supervision. We survey the theoretical arguments for and against the integrated supervisory model, and use data on compliance with international standards to assess the validity of some of these arguments. We find that (i) full integration is associated with higher quality of supervision in insurance and securities and greater consistency of supervision across sectors, after controlling for the level of development; and (ii) fully integrated supervision is not associated with a significant reduction in supervisory staff.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 06/57.
Date of creation: 01 Mar 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gianni De NicolÃ³ & M. G. Zephirin & Philip F. Bartholomew & Jahanara Zaman, 2003. "Bank Consolidation, Internationalization and Conglomeration," IMF Working Papers 03/158, International Monetary Fund.
- Udaibir S. Das & Marc Quintyn & Kina Chenard, 2004. "Does Regulatory Governance Matter for Financial System Stability? An Empirical Analysis," IMF Working Papers 04/89, International Monetary Fund.
- Dirk Schoenmaker, 1992. "Institutional Separation between Supervisory and Monetary Agencies," FMG Special Papers sp52, Financial Markets Group.
- Richard Podpiera, 2004.
"Does Compliance with Basel Core Principles Bring Any Measurable Benefits?,"
IMF Working Papers
04/204, International Monetary Fund.
- Richard Podpiera, 2006. "Does Compliance with Basel Core Principles Bring Any Measurable Benefits?," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 53(2), pages 5.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Jean Tirole, 1994. "The prudential regulation of banks," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9539, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Udaibir S. Das & Marc Quintyn, 2002. "Crisis Prevention and Crisis Management," IMF Working Papers 02/163, International Monetary Fund.
- Richard K. Abrams & Michael Taylor, 2000. "Issues in the Unification of Financial Sector Supervision," IMF Working Papers 00/213, International Monetary Fund.
- Ovidiu Stoica & Delia-Elena Diaconasu, 2012. "Regional Economic Integration And National Financial Supervision. A Comparative Study," Annales Universitatis Apulensis Series Oeconomica, Faculty of Sciences, "1 Decembrie 1918" University, Alba Iulia, vol. 2(14), pages 23.
- Banco Central Europeo, 2008. "La titulización en la zona del euro," Boletín, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(3), pages 136-149, Julio-sep.
- Marc Quintyn & Michael Taylor, 2007. "Building Supervisory Structures in Sub-Saharan Africa," IMF Working Papers 07/18, International Monetary Fund.
- Jenny Corbett, 2007. "Financial Institutions and Structures for Growth in East Asia," EABER Working Papers 21858, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Kenneth Sullivan, 2008. "Presentación proactiva del desempeño," Boletín, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(3), pages 130-135, Julio-sep.
- Dairo Estrada & Javier Gutiérrez Rueda, .
"Supervisión y regulación del sistema financiero: Modelos, implicaciones y alcances,"
Borradores de Economia
490, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Dairo Estrada & Javier Gutiérrez Rueda, 2008. "Supervisión Y Regulación Del Sistema Financiero:Modelos Implicaciones Y Alcances," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 004543, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Milo, Melanie S., 2007. "Integrated Financial Supervision: an Institutional Perspective for the Philippines," Discussion Papers DP 2007-17, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Masahiro Kawai & Michael Pomerleano, 2010.
"Regulating Systemic Risk,"
Finance Working Papers
23014, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Melanie S. Milo, 2007. "Integrated Financial Supervision : An Institutional Perspective for the Philippines," Finance Working Papers 22667, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Pasali, Selahattin Selsah, 2013. "Where is the cheese ? synthesizing a giant literature on causes and consequences of financial sector development," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6655, The World Bank.
- Buklemishev, O. & Danilov, Yu., 2013. "Effective Financial Regulation and Creation of the Mega-Regulator in Russia," Journal of the New Economic Association, New Economic Association, vol. 19(3), pages 82-98.
- Petr Musílek, 2006. "Comparison Models of the Financial Regulation and Supervision: Advantages and Disadvantages," Český finanční a účetní časopis, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2006(4), pages 8-22.
- Jackson, Howell E. & Roe, Mark J., 2009. "Public and private enforcement of securities laws: Resource-based evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 207-238, August.
- Bartosz Godziszewski & Michal Kruszka, 2013. "Stability of Banking System in Poland and Activity of the KNF – Polish Financial Supervision Authority," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 14(1), pages 29-34, 05.
- Petr Musílek, 2008. "Institutional Arrangement of Financial Markets Supervision: The Case of the Czech Republic," European Financial and Accounting Journal, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2008(4), pages 6-21.
- Martin CihÃ¡k & Alexander F. Tieman, 2008. "Quality of Financial Sector Regulation and Supervision Around the World," IMF Working Papers 08/190, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.