How Does the Introduction of Health Insurance Change the Equity in the Health Care Provision in Bulgaria?
AbstractThe study examines the effect of health care reform in Bulgaria in 1999 on the equity of health care financing. It explores the distribution of different types of health care financing by income. Furthermore, it separates the financial and social reasons for these differences, dividing them into economic and social inequalities. It suggests a method of distinguishing between financially based and "exclusion based" reasons for having progressive/regressive health care financing. Moreover, it looks at the social factors that shape health expenditure patterns and identifies those social characteristics that lead to exclusion from the health care system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 06/285.
Date of creation: 01 Dec 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-05-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-HEA-2007-05-04 (Health Economics)
- NEP-IAS-2007-05-04 (Insurance Economics)
- NEP-TRA-2007-05-04 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wagstaff, Adam & Van Doorslaer, Eddy & Watanabe, Naoko, 2001.
"On decomposing the causes of health sector inequalities with an application to malnutrition inequalities in Vietnam,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2714, The World Bank.
- Wagstaff, Adam & van Doorslaer, Eddy & Watanabe, Naoko, 2003. "On decomposing the causes of health sector inequalities with an application to malnutrition inequalities in Vietnam," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(1), pages 207-223, January.
- Doorslaer, Eddy van & Jones, Andrew M., 2003. "Inequalities in self-reported health: validation of a new approach to measurement," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 61-87, January.
- Wagstaff, Adam & van Doorslaer, Eddy & van der Burg, Hattem & Calonge, Samuel & Christiansen, Terkel & Citoni, Guido & Gerdtham, Ulf-G & Gerfin, Mike & Gross, Lorna & Hakinnen, Unto, 1999. "Equity in the finance of health care: some further international comparisons1," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 263-290, June.
- Wagstaff, Adam & van Doorslaer, Eddy & Paci, Pierella, 1989. "Equity in the Finance and Delivery of Health Care: Some Tentative Cross-country Comparisons," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(1), pages 89-112, Spring.
- Uitenbroek, Daan G. & Kerekovska, Albena & Festchieva, Nevijana, 1996. "Health lifestyle behaviour and socio-demographic characteristics. A study of Varna, Glasgow and Edinburgh," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 367-377, August.
- Minev, Duchomir & Dermendjieva, Bogdana & Mileva, Natasha, 1990. "The Bulgarian country profile: The dynamics of some inequalities in health," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 837-846, January.
- Michael Marmot, 2001. "Income inequality, social environment, and inequalities in health," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(1), pages 156-159.
- van Doorslaer, Eddy & Wagstaff, Adam, 1992. "Equity in the delivery of health care: some international comparisons," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 389-411, December.
- Eddy van Doorslaer & Xander Koolman, 2004. "Explaining the differences in income-related health inequalities across European countries," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(7), pages 609-628.
- Wagstaff, Adam & van Doorslaer, Eddy, 1992. "Equity in the finance of health care: Some international comparisons," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 361-387, December.
- Erik SCHOKKAERT & Carine VAN DE VOORDE, 2000.
"Risk Selection and the Specification of the Conventional Risk Adjustment Formula,"
Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers
ces0011, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Schokkaert, Erik & Van de Voorde, Carine, 2004. "Risk selection and the specification of the conventional risk adjustment formula," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 1237-1259, November.
- Eddy van Doorslaer & Andrew M. Jones, 2004. "Income-related inequality in health and health care in the European Union," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(7), pages 605-608.
- Kakwani, Nanak C, 1977. "Applications of Lorenz Curves in Economic Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(3), pages 719-27, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.