Implementing Inflation Targeting
AbstractTransparency is a central element in most aspects of the design and operation of inflation targeting regimes. This paper focuses on three elements of inflation targeting most closely associated with transparency: (i) the institutional arrangements supporting inflation targeting; (ii) the specification of the inflation target; and (iii) the central bank''s policy communications. The paper is primarily aimed at providing practical advice to countries planning to develop an inflation targeting framework, but many of the issues are relevant for any credible, independent monetary policy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 06/278.
Date of creation: 01 Dec 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-05-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2007-05-04 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2007-05-04 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2007-05-04 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Geraats, P.M., 2004.
"How Transparent Are Central Banks?,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0411, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Geraats, P., 2002. "How Transparent are Central Banks?," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-88701, Tilburg University.
- Eijffinger, Sylvester C W & Geraats, Petra M, 2002. "How Transparent are Central Banks?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3188, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Geraats, P., 2006. "How transparent are central banks?," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-172467, Tilburg University.
- Seth B. Carpenter, 2004. "Transparency and monetary policy: what does the academic literature tell policymakers?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2004-35, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 2004.
"Can Central Bank Transparency Go Too Far?,"
NBER Working Papers
10829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guy Debelle & Stanley Fischer, 1994.
"How independent should a central bank be?,"
Conference Series ; [Proceedings],
Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 38, pages 195-225.
- Haan, J. de & Amtenbrink, F. & Eijffinger, S.C.W., 1998.
"Accountability of Central Banks: Aspects and Quantification,"
1998-54, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- J. De Haan & F. Amtenbrink & S.C.W. Eijffinger, 1999. "Accountability of central banks: aspects and quantification," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 52(209), pages 169-193.
- J. De Haan & F. Amtenbrink & S.C.W. Eijffinger, 1999. "Accountability of central banks: aspects and quantification," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 52(209), pages 169-193.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1995. "Central-Bank Independence Revisited," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(2), pages 201-06, May.
- Alain Ize, 2005. "Capitalizing Central Banks," IMF Working Papers 05/15, International Monetary Fund.
- Glenn D. Rudebusch & John C. Williams, 2006.
"Revealing the Secrets of the Temple: The Value of Publishing Central Bank Interest Rate Projections,"
NBER Working Papers
12638, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glenn D. Rudebusch & John C. Williams, 2008. "Revealing the Secrets of the Temple: The Value of Publishing Central Bank Interest Rate Projections," NBER Chapters, in: Asset Prices and Monetary Policy, pages 247-289 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glenn D. Rudebusch & John C. Williams, 2006. "Revealing the secrets of the temple: the value of publishing central bank interest rate projections," Working Paper Series 2006-31, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Paul Jackman, 2002. "The Reserve Bank's external communications," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 65, March.
- Peter Stella, 2005. "Central Bank Financial Strength, Transparency, and Policy Credibility," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 52(2), pages 335-365, September.
- Barro, Robert J. & Gordon, David B., 1983.
"Rules, discretion and reputation in a model of monetary policy,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 101-121.
- Robert J. Barro & David B. Gordon, 1983. "Rules, Discretion and Reputation in a Model of Monetary Policy," NBER Working Papers 1079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Clive Briault & Andrew Haldane & Mervyn King, 1996. "Independence and Accountability," Bank of England working papers 49, Bank of England.
- Turgut Kisinbay & Eric Parrado & Rodolfo Maino & Jorge IvÃ¡n Canales Kriljenko, 2006.
"Setting the Operational Framework for Producing Inflation Forecasts,"
IMF Working Papers
06/122, International Monetary Fund.
- Jorge Canales-Kriljenko & Turgut Kisinbay & Rodolfo Maino & Eric Parrado, 2006. "Setting the Operational Framework for Producing Inflation Forecasts," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 362, Central Bank of Chile.
- Anita Tuladhar, 2005. "Governance Structures and Decision-Making Roles in Inflation-Targeting Central Banks," IMF Working Papers 05/183, International Monetary Fund.
- Paul Conway, 2000. "Monetary policy in an uncertain world," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 63, September.
- JÃ©rÃ´me Vandenbussche, 2006. "Elements of Optimal Monetary Policy Committee Design," IMF Working Papers 06/277, International Monetary Fund.
- JoAnne Morris & Tonny Lybek, 2004. "Central Bank Governance," IMF Working Papers 04/226, International Monetary Fund.
- Michael Woodford, 2005.
"Central-bank communication and policy effectiveness,"
0506-07, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Michael Woodford, 2005. "Central bank communication and policy effectiveness," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Aug, pages 399-474.
- Michael Woodford, 2005. "Central Bank Communication and Policy Effectiveness," NBER Working Papers 11898, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernard Laurens & Marco Arnone & Jean-FranÃ§ois Segalotto, 2006. "The Measurement of Central Bank Autonomy," IMF Working Papers 06/227, International Monetary Fund.
- Douglas Laxton & Alasdair Scott & David Rose, 2009. "Developing a Structured Forecasting and Policy Analysis System to Support Inflation-Forecast Targeting (IFT)," IMF Working Papers 09/65, International Monetary Fund.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1977. "Rules Rather Than Discretion: The Inconsistency of Optimal Plans," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 473-91, June.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1972. "Expectations and the neutrality of money," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 103-124, April.
- Scott Roger & Mark R. Stone, 2005. "On Target? the International Experience with Achieving Inflation Targets," IMF Working Papers 05/163, International Monetary Fund.
- Dimas M. Fazio & Benjamin M. Tabak & Daniel O. Cajueiro, 2014. "Inflation Targeting and Banking System Soundness: A Comprehensive Analysis," Working Papers Series 347, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- International Monetary Fund, 2010. "Weathering the Global Storm," IMF Working Papers 10/292, International Monetary Fund.
- Mordecai Avriel & Jens Hilscher & Alon Raviv, 2013.
"Inflation Derivatives Under Inflation Target Regimes,"
Journal of Futures Markets,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 33(10), pages 911-938, October.
- Mordecai Avriel & Jens Hilscher & Alon Raviv, 2012. "Inflation Derivatives Under Inflation Target Regimes," Working Papers 43, Brandeis University, Department of Economics and International Businesss School.
- Jorge Iván Canales-Kriljenko & Luis I. Jácome H. & Ali Alichi & Ivan Luis de Oliveira Lima, 2011. "Sorteando la tormenta mundial: beneficios de la reforma de política monetaria en cinco países latinoamericanos," Boletín, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(4), pages 194-226, Octubre-d.
- Petreski, Marjan, 2013. "Inflation targeting at the crossroads: Evidence from post-communist economies during the crisis," MPRA Paper 47018, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pierre L. Siklos, 2008. "Inflation Targeting Around the World," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 44(6), pages 17-37, November.
- Héctor Cuasquer & René Maldonado, 2011. "Microfinanzas y microcrédito en Latinoamérica," Boletín, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(4), pages 179-193, Octubre-d.
- Alexandra Peter & Sarwat Jahan & Edward R. Gemayel, 2011. "What Can Low-Income Countries Expect From Adopting Inflation Targeting?," IMF Working Papers 11/276, International Monetary Fund.
- Jenish Nurbek & Kyrgyzbaeva Asel, 2012. "On the Possibility of Inflation Targeting in Kyrgyzstan," EERC Working Paper Series 12/10e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Ales Bulir & Katerina SmÃdkovÃ¡, 2008. "Striving to Be "Clearly Open" and "Crystal Clear"," IMF Working Papers 08/84, International Monetary Fund.
- Diewert, Erwin, 2007. "The Ottawa Group after Ten Meetings: Future Priorities," Economics working papers diewert-07-11-16-12-30-23, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 16 Nov 2007.
- Kateøina Šmídková & Aleš Bulíø, 2007. "Striving to Be “Clearly Open” and “Crystal Clear”: Monetary Policy Communication of the CNB," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 57(11-12), pages 540-557, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.