Asian Equity Markets: Growth, Opportunities, and Challenges
AbstractAsian equity markets have grown significantly in size since the early 1990s, driven by strong international investor inflows, growing regional financial integration, capital account liberalization, and structural improvements to markets. The development of equity markets provides a more diversified set of channels for financial intermediation to support growth, thus bolstering medium-term financial stability. At the same time, as highlighted by the May-June 2006 market corrections, the increasing role of stock markets potentially changes the nature of macroeconomic and financial stability risks, as well as the policy requirements for dealing with these risks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 06/266.
Date of creation: 01 Dec 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Catriona Purfield & Hiroko Oura & Charles Kramer & Andreas Jobst, 2008. "Asian equity markets: growth, opportunities, and challenges," Macroeconomics and Finance in Emerging Market Economies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 227-248.
- NEP-ALL-2007-01-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2007-01-06 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-FDG-2007-01-06 (Financial Development & Growth)
- NEP-FMK-2007-01-06 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-SEA-2007-01-06 (South East Asia)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chayawadee Chai-Anant & Corinna Ho, 2008. "Understanding Asian equity flows, market returns and exchange rates," BIS Working Papers 245, Bank for International Settlements.
- Tao Sun & L. Effie Psalida, 2009. "Spillovers to Emerging Equity Markets: An Econometric Assessment," IMF Working Papers 09/111, International Monetary Fund.
- Catriona Purfield, 2007. "India: Asset Prices and the Macroeconomy," IMF Working Papers 07/221, International Monetary Fund.
- Ghosh, Swati & Revilla, Ernesto, 2007.
"Enhancing the efficiency of securities markets in East Asia,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4129, The World Bank.
- Swati Ghosh & Ernesto Revilla, 2008. "Enhancing the efficiency of securities markets in East Asia," Macroeconomics and Finance in Emerging Market Economies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 249-268.
- HÃ©lÃ¨ne Poirson, 2007. "Financial Market Implications of India's Pension Reform," IMF Working Papers 07/85, International Monetary Fund.
- Joyce Hsieh & Chien-Chung Nieh, 2010. "An overview of Asian equity markets," Asian-Pacific Economic Literature, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, The Australian National University, vol. 24(2), pages 19-51, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.