Allowances for Corporate Equity in Practice
AbstractThis paper provides an overview of full and partial allowance for corporate equity (ACE) tax systems in practice. In the recent past, ACE systems have been used in Austria, Croatia, and Italy. Brazil still applies a variant of such a system and Belgium introduced one this year. This paper summarizes the empirical literature on past ACE systems, and provides a theoretical and empirical assessment of the Brazilian ACE variant. The main finding is that the Brazilian reform introduced an ACE system for a minority of firms only, with the majority instead having a system of dividend deductibility. Despite the reduction in the tax preference for debt finance, capital structures have not changed much, but dividends have increased. Investment appears to have benefited from the reform, although the extent to which this was due to the new structure rather than the tax cut is unclear.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 06/259.
Date of creation: 01 Nov 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- H25 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Business Taxes and Subsidies
- H21 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Efficiency; Optimal Taxation
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2007-01-06 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2007-01-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2007-01-06 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-PBE-2007-01-06 (Public Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Devereux, Michael P. & Griffith, Rachel, 1998.
"Taxes and the location of production: evidence from a panel of US multinationals,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 335-367, June.
- Michael Devereux & Rachel Griffith, 1996. "Taxes and the location of production: evidence from a panel of US multinationals," IFS Working Papers W96/14, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Michael Devereux & Harold Freeman, 1991. "A general neutral profits tax," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 12(3), pages 1-15, August.
- Michael Keen & John King, 2002. "The Croatian profit tax: an ACE in practice," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 23(3), pages 401-418, September.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen & Devereux, Michael & Schiantarelli, Fabio, 1992. "Investment and Tobin's Q: Evidence from company panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1-2), pages 233-257.
- Fane, G., 1987. "Neutral taxation under uncertainty," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 95-105, June.
- Efraim Sadka, 1991. "An Inflation-Proof Tax System?: Some Lessons from Israel," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(1), pages 135-155, March.
- John Isaac, 1997. "A comment on the viability of the allowance for corporate equity," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 18(3), pages 303-318, August.
- Steve Bond & Michael Devereux & Alexander Klemm, 2005. "Dissecting dividend decisions: some clues about the effects of dividend taxation from recent UK reforms," IFS Working Papers W05/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Robin Boadway & Neil Bruce, 1982.
"A General Proposition on the Design of a Neutral Business Tax,"
461, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Boadway, Robin & Bruce, Neil, 1984. "A general proposition on the design of a neutral business tax," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 231-239, July.
- Christian Keuschnigg & Evelyn Ribi, 2009.
"Profit Taxation and Finance Constraints,"
University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2009
2009-05, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Keuschnigg, Christian & Ribi, Evelyn, 2009. "Profit Taxation and Finance Constraints," CEPR Discussion Papers 7433, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Christian Keuschnigg & Evelyn Ribi, 2009. "Profit Taxation and Finance Constraints," Working Papers 0916, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Christian Keuschnigg & Evelyn Ribi, 2010. "Profit Taxation and Finance Constraints," CESifo Working Paper Series 2914, CESifo Group Munich.
- Rumpf, Dominik, 2008. "Zinsbereinigung des Eigenkapitals im internationalen Steuerwettbewerb: Eine kostengünstige Alternative zu Thin Capitalization Rules?," arqus Discussion Papers in Quantitative Tax Research 48, arqus - Arbeitskreis Quantitative Steuerlehre.
- Simona Balzano & Filippo Oropallo & Valentino Parisi, 2011. "On the Italian ACE and its impact on enterprise performance: a PLS-path modeling analysis," International Journal of Microsimulation, Interational Microsimulation Association, vol. 4(2), pages 14-26.
- Devereux, Michael P., 2012.
"Issues In The Design Of Taxes On Corporate Profit,"
National Tax Journal,
National Tax Association, vol. 65(3), pages 709-30, September.
- Konstantinos Tzioumis & Leora F. Klapper, 2012.
"Taxation and Capital Structure: Evidence from a Transition Economy,"
FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis,
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 68(2), pages 165-190, June.
- Klapper, Leora & Tzioumis, Konstantinos, 2008. "Taxation and capital structure : evidence from a transition economy," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4753, The World Bank.
- European Commission, 2012. "Tax reforms in EU Member States - Tax policy challenges for economic growth and fiscal sustainability – 2012 Report," Taxation Papers 34, Directorate General Taxation and Customs Union, European Commission.
- Boulton, Thomas J. & Braga-Alves, Marcus V. & Shastri, Kuldeep, 2012. "Payout policy in Brazil: Dividends versus interest on equity," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 968-979.
- European Commission, 2013. "Tax reforms in EU Member States - Tax policy challenges for economic growth and fiscal sustainability – 2013 Report," Taxation Papers 38, Directorate General Taxation and Customs Union, European Commission.
- European Commission, 2010. "Tax Policy after the Crisis: Monitoring Tax Revenues and Tax Reforms in EU Member States 2010 Report," Taxation Papers 24, Directorate General Taxation and Customs Union, European Commission.
- Ruud Mooij & Michael Devereux, 2011.
"An applied analysis of ACE and CBIT reforms in the EU,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 93-120, February.
- Ruud de Mooij & M.P. Devereux, 2009. "An applied analysis of ACE and CBIT reform in the EU," CPB Discussion Paper 128, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Bird, Richard M. & Zolt, Eric M., 2011. "Dual Income Taxation: A Promising Path to Tax Reform for Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 1691-1703.
- Lourdes Jerez Barroso, 2011. "Base imponible y neutralidad del Impuesto de Sociedades: alternativas y experiencias," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 197(2), pages 113-146, June.
- Siemers, Lars-H. R. & Zöller, Daniel, 2011. "Change-over within little scope: On the decision neutrality of recent tax reform proposals," MPRA Paper 27943, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Savina Princen, 2012. "Taxes do Affect Corporate Financing Decisions: The Case of Belgian ACE," CESifo Working Paper Series 3713, CESifo Group Munich.
- Leora Klapper & Konstantinos Tzioumis, 2008. "Taxation and Capital Structure: evidence from a transition economy," GreeSE â Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 16, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
- Thomas Dalsgaard, 2008. "Japan's Corporate Income Tax - Overview and Challenges," IMF Working Papers 08/70, International Monetary Fund.
- Ruud de Mooij & Michael P. Devereux, 2009. "Alternative Systems of Business Tax in Europe: An applied analysis of ACE and CBIT Reforms," Taxation Studies 0028, Directorate General Taxation and Customs Union, European Commission.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.