Bankingon the Principles
AbstractThis paper studies whether compliance with the Basel Core Principles for Effective Banking Supervision (BCPs) improves bank soundness. The authors find a significant and positive relationship between bank soundness (measured with Moody''s financial strength ratings) and compliance with principles related to information provision2. Specifically, countries that require banks to regularly and accurately report their financial data to regulators and market participants have sounder banks. This relationship is robust to controlling for broad indexes of institutional quality, macroeconomic variables, sovereign ratings, and reverse causality. Measuring soundness through Z-scores yields similar results. These findings emphasize the importance of transparency in making supervisory processes effective and strengthening market discipline. Countries aiming to upgrade banking regulation and supervision should consider giving priority to information provision over other elements of the core principles.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 06/242.
Date of creation: 01 Oct 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Podpiera, 2006.
"Does Compliance with Basel Core Principles Bring Any Measurable Benefits?,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 53(2), pages 5.
- Richard Podpiera, 2004. "Does Compliance with Basel Core Principles Bring Any Measurable Benefits?," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 04/204, International Monetary Fund.
- Boyd, John H. & Runkle, David E., 1993. "Size and performance of banking firms : Testing the predictions of theory," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 47-67, February.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer, 2004.
"Do Institutions Cause Growth?,"
NBER Working Papers
10568, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marcelo J. Moreira, 2003. "A Conditional Likelihood Ratio Test for Structural Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 71(4), pages 1027-1048, 07.
- Enrico C. Perotti, 2005.
"Dominant Investors and Strategic Transparency,"
Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press,
Oxford University Press, vol. 21(1), pages 76-102, April.
- Perotti, Enrico C & von Thadden, Ernst-Ludwig, 1998. "Dominant Investors and Strategic Transparency," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 1948, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Enrico C. Perotti & Ernst-Ludwig von Thadden, 1999. "Dominant Investors and Strategic Transparency," Working Papers, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei 1999.24, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- David Marston, 2001. "Financial System Standards and Financial Stability," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 01/62, International Monetary Fund.
- Gelos, Gaston & Wei, Shang-Jin, 2004.
"Transparency and International Portfolio Holdings,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
4476, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yongseok Shin & Rachel Glennerster, 2003. "Is Transparency Good for You, and Can the IMF Help?," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 03/132, International Monetary Fund.
- Gropp, Reint & Richards, Anthony J., 2001. "Rating agency actions and the pricing of debt and equity of European banks: What can we infer about private sector monitoring of bank soundness?," Working Paper Series, European Central Bank 0076, European Central Bank.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica, 2005.
"Cross-country empirical studies of systemic bank distress : a survey,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3719, The World Bank.
- Asli DemirgÃ¼Ã§-Kunt & Enrica Detragiache, 2005. "Cross-Country Empirical Studies of Systemic Bank Distress: A Survey," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 192(1), pages 68-83, April.
- Asli DemirgÃ¼Ã§-Kunt & Enrica Detragiache, 2005. "Cross-Country Empirical Studies of Systemic Bank Distress: A Survey," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 05/96, International Monetary Fund.
- Anthony J. Richards & David Deddouche, 1999. "Bank Rating Changes and Bank Stock Returns," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 99/151, International Monetary Fund.
- Alejandro Micco & Ugo Panizza & Mónica Yañez, 2004.
"Bank Ownership and Performance,"
Research Department Publications, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department
4381, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Andrea Sironi, 2000.
"Testing for market discipline in the European banking industry: evidence from subordinated debt issues,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.)
2000-40, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Sironi, Andrea, 2003. " Testing for Market Discipline in the European Banking Industry: Evidence from Subordinated Debt Issues," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 35(3), pages 443-72, June.
- Patel, Sandeep A. & Balic, Amra & Bwakira, Liliane, 2002. "Measuring transparency and disclosure at firm-level in emerging markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 325-337, December.
- Andrew Feltenstein & Roger Lagunoff, 2003.
"International versus Domestic Auditing of Bank Solvency,"
- Feltenstein, Andrew & Lagunoff, Roger, 2005. "International versus domestic auditing of bank solvency," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 73-96, September.
- Andrew Feltenstein & Roger Lagunoff, 2003. "International versus Domestic Auditing of Bank Solvency," Working Papers, Georgetown University, Department of Economics gueconwpa~03-03-08, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Andrew Feltenstein & Roger Dean Lagunoff, 2003. "International Versus Domestic Auditing of Bank Solvency," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 03/190, International Monetary Fund.
- Udaibir S. Das & Plamen Yossifov & Richard Podpiera & Dmitriy Rozhkov, 2005. "Quality of Financial Policies and Financial System Stress," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 05/173, International Monetary Fund.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Demirgüç-Kunt, A. & Levine, R., 2003.
"Law, endowments, and finance,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University, Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125510, Tilburg University.
- Mitton, Todd, 2002. "A cross-firm analysis of the impact of corporate governance on the East Asian financial crisis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 215-241, May.
- Barth, James R. & Caprio Jr, Gerard & Levine, Ross, 2001. "The regulation and supervision of banks around the world - a new database," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2588, The World Bank.
- Billett, Matthew T. & Garfinkel, Jon A. & O'Neal, Edward S., 1998. "The cost of market versus regulatory discipline in banking," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 333-358, June.
- Fulbert Tchana Tchana, 2009.
"Regulation and Banking Stability: A Survey of Empirical Studies,"
136, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- TCHANA TCHANA, Fulbert, 2008. "Regulation and Banking Stability: A Survey of Empirical Studies," MPRA Paper 9298, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 30 May 2008.
- Fotios Pasiouras, 2008. "International evidence on the impact of regulations and supervision on banks’ technical efficiency: an application of two-stage data envelopment analysis," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 187-223, February.
- International Monetary Fund, 2010. "Post-Crisis Bank Behavior," IMF Working Papers, International Monetary Fund 10/1, International Monetary Fund.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli, 2006. "Finance and economic development : policy choices for developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3955, The World Bank.
- Holopainen, Helena, 2007. "Integration of financial supervision," Research Discussion Papers, Bank of Finland 12/2007, Bank of Finland.
- Martin CIHAK, 2007. "Systemic Loss: A Measure of Financial Stability (in English)," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 57(1-2), pages 5-26, March.
- Shehzad, Choudhry Tanveer & de Haan, Jakob & Scholtens, Bert, 2010. "The impact of bank ownership concentration on impaired loans and capital adequacy," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 399-408, February.
- Giampaolo Gabbi & Paola Musile Tanzi & Loris Nadotti, 2011. "Firm size and compliance costs asymmetries in the investment services," Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance, Emerald Group Publishing, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 19(1), pages 58-74, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.