The Monetary Policy Regime and Banking Spreads in Barbados
AbstractThe paper analyzes the determinants of banking spreads in Barbados, with a view to identifying the role of the monetary policy regime in explaining high spreads. The paper finds that interest rate spreads for Barbados are higher than would be suggested by its macroeconomic performance. Banking concentration and bank-specific variables, including bank size and provisions for nonperforming loans, do not have an important role in explaining variations in bank spreads. Rather, it appears that monetary policy variables, such as reserve requirements and capital controls, are the most important determinants of spreads.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 06/211.
Date of creation: 01 Sep 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-11-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2006-11-25 (Banking)
- NEP-CBA-2006-11-25 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2006-11-25 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2006-11-25 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Panzar, John C & Rosse, James N, 1987. "Testing for "Monopoly" Equilibrium," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 443-56, June.
- Demirguc, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1999.
"Determinants of Commercial Bank Interest Margins and Profitability: Some International Evidence,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 379-408, May.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1998. "Determinants of commercial bank interest margins and profitability : some international evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1900, The World Bank.
- Nobuhiro Kiyotaki & John Moore, 2005. "Financial Deepening," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 3(2-3), pages 701-713, 04/05.
- Brock, Philip L. & Rojas Suarez, Liliana, 2000. "Understanding the behavior of bank spreads in Latin America," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 113-134, October.
- Amadou N. R. Sy, 2001.
"Emerging Market Bond Spreads and Sovereign Credit Ratings: Reconciling Market Views with Economic Fundamentals,"
IMF Working Papers
01/165, International Monetary Fund.
- Sy, Amadou N. R., 2002. "Emerging market bond spreads and sovereign credit ratings: reconciling market views with economic fundamentals," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 380-408, December.
- Saunders, Anthony & Schumacher, Liliana, 2000. "The determinants of bank interest rate margins: an international study," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 813-832, December.
- Winston Moore & Roland Craigwell, 2002. "Market Power and Interest Rate Spreads in the Caribbean," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 16(4), pages 391-405.
- Claessens, Stijn & Laeven, Luc, 2003.
"What drives bank competition? some international evidence,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3113, The World Bank.
- Stijn Claessens & Luc Laeven, 2004. "What drives bank competition? Some international evidence," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 563-592.
- Claessens, Stijn & Laeven, Luc, 2004. "What Drives Bank Competition? Some International Evidence," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 563-83, June.
- International Monetary Fund, 2005. "Quantitative Assessment of a Financial System--Barbados," IMF Working Papers 05/76, International Monetary Fund.
- Gaston Gelos, 2006.
"Banking Spreads in Latin America,"
IMF Working Papers
06/44, International Monetary Fund.
- Thorsten Beck & Asli Demirguc-Kunt & Ross Levine, 2003.
"Bank Concentration and Crises,"
NBER Working Papers
9921, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Timothy H. Hannan & J. Nellie Liang, 1993. "Bank commercial lending and the influence of thrift competition," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 93-39, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ho, Thomas S. Y. & Saunders, Anthony, 1981. "The Determinants of Bank Interest Margins: Theory and Empirical Evidence," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(04), pages 581-600, November.
- Thorsten Beck & Ross Levine, 2003.
"Legal institutions and financial development,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3136, The World Bank.
- Thorsten Beck & Ross Levine, 2003. "Legal Institutions and Financial Development," NBER Working Papers 10126, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Levine, R., 2005. "Legal institutions and financial development," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3508406, Tilburg University.
- Thorsten Beck & Ross Levine, 2004. "Legal Institutions and Financial Development," NBER Working Papers 10417, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Simon Gray, Glenn Hoggarth and Joanna Place, 2000. "Introduction to Monetary Operations - Revised, 2nd Edition," Handbooks, Centre for Central Banking Studies, Bank of England, number 10.
- Ephraim W. Chirwa & Montfort Mlachila, 2004. "Financial Reforms and Interest Rate Spreads in the Commercial Banking System in Malawi," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 51(1), pages 5.
- S. Illeris & G. Akehurst, 2001. "Introduction," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 1-4, January.
- Ruby Randall, 1998. "Interest Rate Spreads in the Eastern Caribbean," IMF Working Papers 98/59, International Monetary Fund.
- Idrees Khawaja & Musleh-ud Din, 2007.
"Determinants of Interest Spread in Pakistan,"
2007:22, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Idrees Khawaja, 2011. "Interest Margins and Banks’ Asset-Liability Composition," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 16(Special E), pages 255-270, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.