Common Volatility Trends in the Central and Eastern European Currencies and the Euro
AbstractHow much convergence has been achieved between Central and Eastern European (CEE) economies and the eurozone? We explore this question by comparing long-run volatility trends in CEE currencies and the euro. We find that these trends are closely correlated, pointing to convergence in the economic and financial structures of these economies. Nonetheless, the degree of commonality remains weaker than what had been found for major European currencies before the introduction of the euro. Spillovers of volatility across regional markets appear to have diminished over time, with the exception of the Hungarian forint, which remains a source of volatility shocks to regional currencies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 06/206.
Date of creation: 01 Sep 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-11-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2006-11-25 (European Economics)
- NEP-ETS-2006-11-25 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-MON-2006-11-25 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maurice Obstfeld, 2002.
"Exchange Rates and Adjustment: Perspectives from the New Open Economy Macroeconomics,"
NBER Working Papers
9118, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 2002. "Exchange Rates and Adjustment: Perspectives from the New Open- Economy Macroeconomics," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 20(S1), pages 23-46, December.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 2002. "Exchange Rates and Adjustment: Perspectives from the New Open Economy Macroeconomics," CEPR Discussion Papers 3533, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 2003. "Exchange Rates and Adjustment: Perspectives from the New Open Economy Macroeconomics," International Finance 0303004, EconWPA.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 2002. "Exchange Rates and Adjustment: Perspectives from the New Open Economy Macroeconomics," Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series qt5t38s42v, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Mardi Dungey & Renee Fry & Brenda Gonzalez-Hermosillo & Vance Martin, 2005.
"Empirical modelling of contagion: a review of methodologies,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(1), pages 9-24.
- Vance L. Martin & Brenda Gonzalez-Hermosillo, & Mardi Dungey & Renee A. Fry, 2004. "Empirical Modelling of Contagion: A Review of Methodologies," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 243, Econometric Society.
- Mardi Dungey & Renee Fry & Vance Martin & Brenda GonzÃ¡lez-Hermosillo, 2004. "Empirical Modeling of Contagion: A Review of Methodologies," IMF Working Papers 04/78, International Monetary Fund.
- Martin, V. & Dungey & M., 2004. "Empirical Modelling of Contagion: A Review of Methodologies," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings 574, Econometric Society.
- Kobor, Adam & Szekely, Istvan P., 2004.
"Foreign exchange market volatility in EU accession countries in the run-up to Euro adoption: weathering uncharted waters,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 337-352, December.
- IstvÃ¡n P. SzÃ©kely & ÃdÃ¡m KÃ³bor, 2004. "Foreign Exchange Market Volatility in EU Accession Countries in the Run-up to Euro Adoption: Weathering Uncharted Waters," IMF Working Papers 04/16, International Monetary Fund.
- Sébastien Laurent & Luc Bauwens & Jeroen V. K. Rombouts, 2006.
"Multivariate GARCH models: a survey,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(1), pages 79-109.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen, 2003. "Multivariate GARCH models: a survey," CORE Discussion Papers 2003031, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen VK, . "Multivariate GARCH models: a survey," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1847, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1990. "Modelling the Coherence in Short-run Nominal Exchange Rates: A Multivariate Generalized ARCH Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(3), pages 498-505, August.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Robert F. Engle & Takatoshi Ito & Wen-Ling Lin, 1991.
"Meteor Showers or Heat Waves? Heteroskedastic Intra-Daily Volatility in the Foreign Exchange Market,"
NBER Working Papers
2609, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F & Ito, Takatoshi & Lin, Wen-Ling, 1990. "Meteor Showers or Heat Waves? Heteroskedastic Intra-daily Volatility in the Foreign Exchange Market," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(3), pages 525-42, May.
- Louis Kuijs & Alain Borghijs, 2004. "Exchange Rates in Central Europe: a Blessing or a Curse?," IMF Working Papers 04/2, International Monetary Fund.
- Angela Black & David McMillan, 2004. "Long run trends and volatility spillovers in daily exchange rates," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(12), pages 895-907.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Klaassen, F.J.G.M., 1999. "Have Exchange Rates Become More Closely Tied? Evidence from a New Multivariate GARCH Model," Discussion Paper 1999-10, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Harvey, Andrew & Ruiz, Esther & Shephard, Neil, 1994.
"Multivariate Stochastic Variance Models,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(2), pages 247-64, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to estimate multivariate stochastic volatility models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00093, Boston College Department of Economics.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:11:y:1995:i:1:p:122-50 is not listed on IDEAS
- Beveridge, Stephen & Nelson, Charles R., 1981. "A new approach to decomposition of economic time series into permanent and transitory components with particular attention to measurement of the `business cycle'," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 151-174.
- Roman Horváth, 2005. "Exchange Rate Variability, Pressures and Optimum Currency Area Criteria: Implications for the Central and Eastern European Countries," Working Papers IES 78, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised 2005.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1988. "A Capital Asset Pricing Model with Time-Varying Covariances," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 116-31, February.
- Fidrmuc, Jarko & Korhonen, Iikka, 2004. "A meta-analysis of business cycle correlation between the euro area and CEECs: What do we know – and who cares?," BOFIT Discussion Papers 20/2004, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1991. " Efficient Capital Markets: II," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(5), pages 1575-617, December.
- Michael Melvin & Bettina Peiers Melvin, 2003. "The Global Transmission of Volatility in the Foreign Exchange Market," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 670-679, August.
- Joseph P. Byrne & E. Philip Davis, 2005. "The Impact of Short- and Long-run Exchange Rate Uncertainty on Investment: A Panel Study of Industrial Countries," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 67(3), pages 307-329, 06.
- Bask , Mikael & Fidrmuc , Jarko, 2006.
"Fundamentals and technical trading: behaviour of exchange rates in the CEECs,"
Research Discussion Papers
10/2006, Bank of Finland.
- Mikael Bask & Jarko Fidrmuc, 2009. "Fundamentals and Technical Trading: Behavior of Exchange Rates in the CEECs," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 20(5), pages 589-605, November.
- Morar Triandafil, Cristina & Brezeanu, Petre & Huidumac, Catalin & Morar Triandafil, Adrian, 2011. "The Drivers of the CEE Exchange Rate Volatility - Empirical Perspective in the context of the Recent Financial Crisis," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(1), pages 212-229, March.
- Li, Dandan & Ghoshray, A. & Morley, B., 2011. "Uncovered Interest Parity and the Risk Premium," Department of Economics Working Papers 24072, University of Bath, Department of Economics.
- Bednarik, Radek, 2008.
"Analýza volatility devizových kurzů vybraných ekonomik
[The Analysis of Volatility of Selected Countries' Exchange Rates]," MPRA Paper 15046, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.