Is the Middle East and North Africa Region Achieving Its Trade Potential?
AbstractThis paper analyzes export performance in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) using a gravity model applied to panel data. It addresses two questions: (i) are there significant unexploited export markets for the MENA region?; and (ii) have integration efforts with the EU since the mid-1990s yielded positive results? The results suggest that several MENA countries are substantially underexploiting the United States as an export market. Moreover, the impact of integration efforts with the European Union has been moderate overall but significant in individual cases.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 05/90.
Date of creation: 01 May 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc Melitz & Yona Rubinstein, 2006. "Trading Partners and Trading Volumes," DEGIT Conference Papers c011_022, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Robert Feenstra & Madani & Dorsati & Yang & Tzu-Han, and Liang, Chi-Yuan, 2003.
"Testing Endogenous Growth In South Korea And Taiwan,"
9716, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Feenstra, Robert C. & Madani, Dorsati & Yang, Tzu-Han & Liang, Chi-Yuan, 1999. "Testing endogenous growth in South Korea and Taiwan," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 317-341, December.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Madani & Dorsati & Yang & Tzu-Han & Liang & Chi-Yuan, . "Testing Endogenous Growth In South Korea And Taiwan," Department of Economics 97-16, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Dorsati Madani & Tzu-Han Yang & Chi-Yuan Liang, 1997. "Testing Endogenous Growth in South Korea and Taiwan," NBER Working Papers 6028, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wang, Zhen Kun & Winters, L. Alan, 1991.
"The Trading Potential of Eastern Europe,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
610, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- J. A. Hausman & W. E. Taylor, 1980.
"Panel Data and Unobservable Individual Effects,"
255, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Hausman, Jerry A. & Taylor, William E., 1981. "Panel data and unobservable individual effects," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 155-155, May.
- Hausman, Jerry A & Taylor, William E, 1981. "Panel Data and Unobservable Individual Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1377-98, November.
- Anderson, James E, 1979. "A Theoretical Foundation for the Gravity Equation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 106-16, March.
- Rikhil Bhavnani & Natalia T. Tamirisa & Arvind Subramanian & David T. Coe, 2002. "The Missing Globalization Puzzle," IMF Working Papers 02/171, International Monetary Fund.
- Peter Egger, 2002.
"An Econometric View on the Estimation of Gravity Models and the Calculation of Trade Potentials,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(2), pages 297-312, 02.
- Peter Egger, . "An Econometric View on the Estimation of Gravity Models and the Calculation of Trade Potentials," WIFO Working Papers 141, WIFO.
- Coe, David T & Hoffmaister, Alexander W, 1999.
"North-South Trade: Is Africa Unusual?,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 8(2), pages 228-56, July.
- Nazia Gul & Hafiz M. Yasin, 2011. "The Trade Potential of Pakistan: An Application of the Gravity Model," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 16(1), pages 23-62, Jan-Jun.
- Kula, Ferit & Aslan, Alper, 2008. "Turkiye’nin ortadogu’da ekonomik gelecegi: Turkiye’nin ihracat potansiyeline yonelik ampirik bir analiz," MPRA Paper 10688, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Juan Ruiz & Josep M. Vilarrubia, 2007. "The wise use of dummies in gravity models: export potentials in the Euromed region," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0720, Banco de Espa�a.
- María Dolores Parra Robles & Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Celestino Suárez Burguet, 2012. "The impact of FTAs on MENA trade," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 217, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Hagemejer, Jan & Cieslik, Andrzej, 2009.
"Assessing the impact of the EU-sponsored trade liberalization in the MENA countries,"
17721, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cies´lik, Andrzej & Hagemejer, Jan, 2009. "Assessing the Impact of the EU-sponsored Trade Liberalization in the MENA Countries," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 24, pages 343-368.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.