Personal Income Tax Reform
AbstractThis paper provides a largely nontechnical survey of concepts and issues related to the reform of the personal income tax, covering both base and rate aspects of the tax, as well as fundamental reform options. It also covers recent developments in selected OECD countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 05/87.
Date of creation: 01 Apr 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-10-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-PBE-2005-10-22 (Public Economics)
- NEP-PUB-2005-10-22 (Public Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blinder, Alan S, 1975. "Distribution Effects and the Aggregate Consumption Function," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(3), pages 447-75, June.
- Seade, Jesus, 1982. "On the Sign of the Optimum Marginal Income Tax," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(4), pages 637-43, October.
- Scholz, John Karl, 1996. "In-Work Benefits in the United States: The Earned Income Tax Credit," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(434), pages 156-69, January.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Tuomala, Matti, 1994. " Inherent Inequality and the Optimal Graduation of Marginal Tax Rates," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 96(2), pages 275-82.
- Summers, Lawrence H, 1981. "Capital Taxation and Accumulation in a Life Cycle Growth Model," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 71(4), pages 533-44, September.
- Peter Birch Soerensen, . "Changing Views of the Corporate Income Tax," EPRU Working Paper Series, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics 95-05, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Diamond, P., 1994.
"Optimal Income Taxation: An Exemple with a U-Shaped Pattern of Optimal Marginal Tax Rates,"
Working papers, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics
94-14, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Diamond, Peter A, 1998. "Optimal Income Taxation: An Example with a U-Shaped Pattern of Optimal Marginal Tax Rates," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 88(1), pages 83-95, March.
- Hemming, R. & Keen, M. J., 1983. "Single-crossing conditions in comparisons of tax progressivity," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 373-380, April.
- John Norregaard, 1997. "The Tax Treatment of Government Bonds," IMF Working Papers 97/25, International Monetary Fund.
- Kakwani, Nanok C, 1977. "Measurement of Tax Progressivity: An International Comparison," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 87(345), pages 71-80, March.
- Browning, Edgar K., 1995. "Effects of the Earned Income Tax Credit on Income and Welfare," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 48(1), pages 23-43, March.
- Charles Mclure & George Zodrow, 1996. "A hybrid consumption-based direct tax proposed for Bolivia," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, Springer, vol. 3(1), pages 97-112, January.
- Alex Cobham (QEH), . "Tax Evasion, Tax Avoidance and Development Finance," QEH Working Papers, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford qehwps129, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Jorge Onrubia Fernández(1) & María del Carmen Rodado Ruiz(2) & Santiago Díaz de Sarralde(3) & César Pérez López(4), .
"Progresividad Y Redistribución A Través Del Irpf Español: Un Análisis De Bienestar Social Para El Periodo 1982-1998,"
Working Papers, Instituto de Estudios Fiscales
23-06 Classification-JEL , Instituto de Estudios Fiscales.
- Jorge Onrubia Fernández & María del Carmen Rodado Ruíz & Santiago Díaz De Sarralde Míguez & César Pérez López, 2007. "Progresividad y redistribución a través del IRPF español: Un análisis de bienestar social para el periodo 1982-1998," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, IEF, vol. 183(4), pages 81-124, december.
- Nikolay Galabov, 2013. "Budget revenues of Bulgaria and of the European Union (2000-2011) (Bulgarian)," Economic Thought journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 2, pages 3-26.
- Echevarría, Cruz A., 2012. "Income tax progressivity, physical capital, aggregate uncertainty and long-run growth in an OLG economy," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 955-974.
- Mitja Čok & Jože Sambt & Marko Košak & Miroslav Verbič & Boris Majcen, 2011.
"Distribution of personal income tax changes in Slovenia,"
Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(4), pages 503-515, November.
- Cok, Mitja & Sambt, Joze & Kosak, Marko & Verbic, Miroslav & Majcen, Boris, 2011. "Distribution of personal income tax changes in Slovenia," MPRA Paper 32704, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tomasz Wołowiec & Janusz Soboń, 2011. "EU Integration and Harmonisation of Personal Income Taxation," Contemporary Economics, University of Finance and Management in Warsaw, University of Finance and Management in Warsaw, vol. 5(1), March.
- Nikolay Galabov, 2013. "Budget revenues of Bulgaria and of the European Union (2000-2011) (English)," Economic Thought journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 2, pages 27-49.
- Vita Jagric & Sebastjan Strasek & Timotej Jagric & Tanja Markovic-Hribernik, 2009. "Personal Income Tax Reforms as a Competitive Advantage," Annals - Economy Series, Constantin Brancusi University, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1, pages 189-218, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.