Hedging Foreign Exchange Risk in Chile
AbstractPolicy makers have expressed interest in fostering the development of local foreign exchange derivatives markets with a view to reducing risks arising from currency mismatches between assets and liabilities in the corporate sector. This paper assesses foreign exchange exposure in the corporate sector in Chile, analyzes the current state of the foreign exchange derivatives market in Chile, and argues that liquid and developed foreign exchange derivatives markets can help promote financial stability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 05/37.
Date of creation: 01 Feb 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-10-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-FIN-2005-10-22 (Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2005-10-22 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-IFN-2005-10-22 (International Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ricardo J Caballero & Kevin Cowan & Jonathan Kearns, 2004.
"Fear of Sudden Stops: Lessons from Australia and Chile,"
RBA Research Discussion Papers
rdp2004-03, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Ricardo Caballero & Kevin Cowan & Jonathan Kearns, 2005. "Fear of Sudden Stops: Lessons From Australia and Chile," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(4), pages 313-354.
- Jonathan Kearns & Ricardo J. Caballero & Kevin Cowan, 2004. "Fear of Sudden Stops: lessons from Australia and Chile," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 185, Econometric Society.
- Ricardo Caballero & Kevin Cowan & Jonathan Kearns, 2004. "Fear of Sudden Stops: Lessons from Australia and Chile," NBER Working Papers 10519, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Kevin Cowan & Jonathan Kearns, 2005. "Fear of Sudden Stops: Lessons from Australia and Chile," Research Department Publications 4363, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Kathryn M.E. Dominguez & Linda L. Tesar, 2001.
"Exchange Rate Exposure,"
NBER Working Papers
8453, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Conrad, Jennifer, 1989. " The Price Effect of Option Introduction," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(2), pages 487-98, June.
- Garman, Mark B. & Kohlhagen, Steven W., 1983. "Foreign currency option values," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 231-237, December.
- World Bank & International Monetary Fund, 2004. "Financial Sector Assessment : Chile," World Bank Other Operational Studies 15819, The World Bank.
- Moguillansky, Graciela, 2002. "Non-Financial Corporate Risk Management and Exchange Rate Volatility in Latin America," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Viviana Fernández, 2002. "The Derivatives Markets in Latin America with an Emphasis on Chile," Documentos de Trabajo 128, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Niclas Hagelin, 2003. "Why firms hedge with currency derivatives: an examination of transaction and translation exposure," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(1), pages 55-69.
- Hoa Nguyen & Robert Faff, 2002. "On The Determinants of Derivative Usage by Australian Companies," Australian Journal of Management, Australian School of Business, vol. 27(1), pages 1-24, June.
- Detemple, Jerome & Jorion, Philippe, 1990. "Option listing and stock returns : An empirical analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 781-801, October.
- Jose Berrospide, 2008. "Exchange rates, optimal debt composition, and hedging in small open economies," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2008-18, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Sweta Saxena & Agustin Villar, 2008. "Hedging instruments in emerging market economies," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Financial globalisation and emerging market capital flows, volume 44, pages 71-87 Bank for International Settlements.
- Shotar, M.M. & El-Mefleh, M.A., 2009. "Economic Exposure To Exchange Rates In Jordan Companies: A Monthly Econometric Model Of The Rate Of Return Of Firms, 2004-2007," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 9(1).
- Erwin Hansen S. & Stuart Hyde, 2013. "Determinants of corporate exchange rate exposure in Chilean firms," Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 16(3), pages 70-88, December.
- Lourdes Treviño, 2005. "Development and volume growth of organized derivatives trade in emerging markets," Ensayos Revista de Economia, Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon, Facultad de Economia, vol. 0(2), pages 31-82, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.