The END: A New Indicator of Financial and Nonfinancial Corporate Sector Vulnerability
AbstractThis paper describes a corporate sector vulnerability indicator, the expected number of defaults (END), based on the joint occurrence of defaults among a number of firms and/or institutions. The END indicator is general enough to assess systemic risk in the corporate and financial sectors, as well as systemic sovereign risk; and is also forward looking as it is constructed using information implied by financial securities prices. Using equity prices and balance-sheet data, we calculate the END to assess systemic risk in the corporate sector in Korea, Malaysia, and Thailand. We also discuss how the END systemic risk indicator overcomes some of the shortcomings of other vulnerability indicators.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 05/231.
Date of creation: 01 Dec 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-03-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2006-03-05 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2006-03-05 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-SEA-2006-03-05 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arnaud Jobert & Janet Kong & Jorge A. Chan-Lau, 2004. "An Option-Based Approach to Bank Vulnerabilities in Emerging Markets," IMF Working Papers 04/33, International Monetary Fund.
- Piyabha Kongsamut & V. Haksar, 2003. "Dynamics of Corporate Performance in Thailand," IMF Working Papers 03/214, International Monetary Fund.
- Jorge A. Chan-Lau & Yoon Sook Kim, 2004. "Equity Prices, Credit Default Swaps, and Bond Spreads in Emerging Markets," IMF Working Papers 04/27, International Monetary Fund.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973.
"On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates,"
684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974. "On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Reint Gropp & Jukka Vesala & Giuseppe Vulpes, 2002.
"Equity and bond market signals as leading indicators of bank fragility,"
Conference Series ; [Proceedings],
Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Gropp, Reint & Vesala, Jukka & Vulpes, Giuseppe, 2006. "Equity and Bond Market Signals as Leading Indicators of Bank Fragility," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(2), pages 399-428, March.
- Gropp, Reint & Vesala, Jukka & Vulpes, Giuseppe, 2002. "Equity and bond market signals as leading indicators of bank fragility," Working Paper Series 0150, European Central Bank.
- Hull, John & Predescu, Mirela & White, Alan, 2004. "The relationship between credit default swap spreads, bond yields, and credit rating announcements," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(11), pages 2789-2811, November.
- Anginer, Deniz & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Zhu, Min, 2012. "How does bank competition affect systemic stability ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5981, The World Bank.
- Martín Saldías, 2012.
"Systemic Risk Analysis using Forward-Looking Distance-to-Default Series,"
w201216, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Martin Saldías Zambrana, 2010. "Systemic risk analysis using forward-looking distance-to-default series," Working Paper 1005, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Anginer, Deniz & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli, 2011. "Has the global banking system become more fragile over time ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5849, The World Bank.
- Xin Huang & Hao Zhou & Haibin Zhu, 2009.
"A Framework for Assessing the Systemic Risk of Major Financial Institutions,"
BIS Working Papers
281, Bank for International Settlements.
- Huang, Xin & Zhou, Hao & Zhu, Haibin, 2009. "A framework for assessing the systemic risk of major financial institutions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 2036-2049, November.
- Xin Huang & Hao Zhou & Haibin Zhu, 2009. "A framework for assessing the systemic risk of major financial institutions," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2009-37, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bernoth, Kerstin & Pick, Andreas, 2011.
"Forecasting the fragility of the banking and insurance sectors,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 807-818, April.
- Kerstin Bernoth & Andreas Pick, 2009. "Forecasting the fragility of the banking and insurance sector," DNB Working Papers 202, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Kerstin Bernoth & Andreas Pick, 2009. "Forecasting the Fragility of the Banking and Insurance Sector," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 882, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Xin Huang & Hao Zhou & Haibin Zhu, 2011.
"Systemic risk contributions,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2011-08, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Xin Huang & Hao Zhou & Haibin Zhu, 2012. "Systemic Risk Contributions," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 55-83, October.
- Xin Huang & Hao Zhou & Haibin Zhu, 2011. "Systemic risk contributions," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Macroprudential regulation and policy, volume 60, pages 36-43 Bank for International Settlements.
- Leonardo Luna & Dale F. Gray & Jorge Restrepo & Carlos Garcia, 2011.
"Incorporating Financial Sector Risk into Monetary Policy Models: Application to Chile,"
IMF Working Papers
11/228, International Monetary Fund.
- Dale F. Gray & Carlos J. García & Leonardo Luna & Jorge E. Restrepo, 2011. "Incorporating Financial Sector Risk Into Monetary Policy Models: Application to Chile," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Rodrigo Alfaro (ed.), Financial Stability, Monetary Policy, and Central Banking, edition 1, volume 15, chapter 6, pages 159-197 Central Bank of Chile.
- Dale Gray & Carlos García T. & Leonardo Luna B. & Jorge E. Restrepo L., 2009. "Incorporating Financial Sector Risk Into Monetary Policy Models: Application to Chile," Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 12(2), pages 11-33, August.
- Dale F. Gray & Carlos Garcia & Leonardo Luna & Jorge Restrepo, 2009. "Incorporation financial sector risk into monetary policy models: application to Chile," ILADES-Georgetown University Working Papers inv229, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines.
- Dale Gray & Carlos García & Leonardo Luna & Jorge E. Restrepo, 2009. "Incorporating Financial Sector Risk into Monetary Policy Models: Application to Chile," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 553, Central Bank of Chile.
- Martin CIHAK, 2007. "Systemic Loss: A Measure of Financial Stability (in English)," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 57(1-2), pages 5-26, March.
- Jose Giancarlo Gasha & Andre Santos & Jorge A. Chan-Lau & Carlos I. Medeiros & Marcos Souto & Christian Capuano, 2009. "Recent Advances in Credit Risk Modeling," IMF Working Papers 09/162, International Monetary Fund.
- Casu, Barbara & Clare, Andrew & Saleh, Nashwa, 2011. "Towards a new model for early warning signals for systemic financial fragility and near crises: an application to OECD countries," MPRA Paper 37043, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ijaz Hussain, 2013. "Estimating Firms’ Vulnerability to Short-Term Financing Shocks: The Case of Foreign Exchange Companies in Pakistan," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 18(2), pages 147-163, July-Dec.
- Andre Santos & Jorge A. Chan-Lau, 2006. "Currency Mismatches and Corporate Default Risk: Modeling, Measurement, and Surveillance Applications," IMF Working Papers 06/269, International Monetary Fund.
- Keiler, Sebastian & Eder, Armin, 2013. "CDS spreads and systemic risk: A spatial econometric approach," Discussion Papers 01/2013, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.