Financial Globalization and Fiscal Perfomance in Emerging Markets
AbstractIn recent years financial globalization and benign global market conditions have helped emerging markets in their external financing and budgetary positions. This paper examines three related issues: (i) the importance of the impact of the benign financial environment on fiscal performance; (ii) the likely fiscal impact of a reversal in this environment; and (iii) the potential contribution of fiscal reforms to maintaining favorable market access. The results suggest that the benefits from the benign environment have been substantial and that the potential reversal of the favorable external conditions underlines the need for further fiscal reforms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 05/212.
Date of creation: 01 Nov 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-03-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2006-03-05 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2006-03-05 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-MAC-2006-03-05 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-PBE-2006-03-05 (Public Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Hauner, 2006.
"A Fiscal Price Tag for International Reserves,"
International Finance, Wiley Blackwell,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(2), pages 169-195, 08.
- Edda Zoli, 2004. "Credit Rationing in Emerging Economies' Access to Global Capital Markets," IMF Working Papers 04/70, International Monetary Fund.
- James M. Poterba & Jürgen von Hagen, 1999. "Fiscal Institutions and Fiscal Performance," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number pote99-1.
- International Monetary Fund, 2005. "Fiscal Transparency and Economic Outcomes," IMF Working Papers 05/225, International Monetary Fund.
- Kumar, Manmohan S & Persaud, Avinash, 2002. "Pure Contagion and Investors' Shifting Risk Appetite: Analytical Issues and Empirical Evidence," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(3), pages 401-36, Winter.
- Hong G. Min, 1998. "Determinants of emerging market bond spread : do economic fundamentals matter?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1899, The World Bank.
- Gianluigi Ferrucci, 2003. "Empirical determinants of emerging market economies' sovereign bond spreads," Bank of England working papers, Bank of England 205, Bank of England.
- Küçük, Ugur N., 2009. "Emerging Market Local Currency Bond Market, Too Risky to Invest?," MPRA Paper 21878, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yilmaz Akyüz, 2007. "Debt Sustainability in Emerging Markets: A Critical Appraisal," Working Papers, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs 61, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
- Byrne, Joseph P. & Fiess, Norbert & MacDonald, Ronald, 2011.
"The global dimension to fiscal sustainability,"
Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 137-150, June.
- Joseph P. Byrne & Norbert Fiess & Ronald MacDonald, 2008. "The Global Dimension to Fiscal Sustainability," Working Papers, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow 2008_10, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Byrne, Joseph P. & Fiess, Norbert & MacDonald, Ronald, 2008. "The Global Dimension to Fiscal Sustainability," SIRE Discussion Papers, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE) 2008-14, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Ante Žigman & Boris Cota, 2011. "The impact of fiscal policy on government bond spreads in emerging markets," Financial Theory and Practice, Institute of Public Finance, Institute of Public Finance, vol. 35(4), pages 385-412.
- Manmohan S. Kumar & JirÃ JonÃ¡Å¡ & David Hauner, 2007. "Policy Credibility and Sovereign Credit," IMF Working Papers 07/1, International Monetary Fund.
- David Hauner, 2006. "Fiscal Policy and Financial Development," IMF Working Papers 06/26, International Monetary Fund.
- Leslie Teo & David Cowen & Hemant Shah & Ranil Salgado & Alessandro Zanello, 2006. "Financial Integration in Asia," IMF Working Papers 06/196, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.