AbstractRussia''s regions are heavily exposed to regional income shocks because of an uneven distribution of natural resources and a Soviet legacy of heavily skewed regional specialization. Also, Russia has a limited mobility of labor and lacks fiscal instruments to deal with regional shocks. We assess how these features influence the magnitude and persistence of regional income shocks, through a panel vector autoregression, drawing on extensive and unique regional data covering last decade. We find that labor mobility associated with regional shocks is far lower than in the United States yet higher than in the EU-15, and that regional expenditures tend to expand in booms and contract in recessions. We discuss institutional factors behind these outcomes and policy implications.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 05/185.
Date of creation: 01 Sep 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-10-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-CIS-2005-10-28 (Confederation of Independent States)
- NEP-GEO-2005-11-10 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-MAC-2005-10-24 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-PBE-2005-10-26 (Public Economics)
- NEP-TRA-2005-10-24 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James M. Poterba, 1995.
"State Responses to Fiscal Crisis: The Effects of Budgetary Institutionsand Politics,"
NBER Working Papers
4375, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Poterba, James M, 1994. "State Responses to Fiscal Crises: The Effects of Budgetary Institutions and Politics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(4), pages 799-821, August.
- Antonio Spilimbergo & Eswar Prasad & Paolo Mauro, 1999. "Perspectives on Regional Unemployment in Europe," IMF Occasional Papers 177, International Monetary Fund.
- Zhuravskaya Ekatherina, 2000.
"Incentives to Provide Local Public Goods: Fiscal Federalism, Russian Style,"
EERC Working Paper Series
99-15e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Zhuravskaya, Ekaterina V., 2000. "Incentives to provide local public goods: fiscal federalism, Russian style," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 337-368, June.
- Ekaterina Zhuravskaya, 2000. "Incentives to provide local public goods: fiscal federalism, Russian style," Working Papers w0001, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Jorge Martinez-Vazquez, 2002. "Asymmetric Federalism in Russia: Cure or Poison?," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0304, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Fidrmuc, Jan, 2004.
"Migration and regional adjustment to asymmetric shocks in transition economies,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 230-247, June.
- Jan Fidrmuc, 2002. "Migration and regional adjustment to asymmetric shocks in transition economies," CPB Discussion Paper 7, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Fidrmuc, Jan, 2003. "Migration and Regional Adjustment to Asymmetric Shocks in Transition Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 3798, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Desai, Raj M. & Freinkman, Lev & Goldberg, Itzhak, 2005. "Fiscal federalism in rentier regions: Evidence from Russia," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 814-834, December.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 1993. "European Monetary Unification," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(3), pages 1321-57, September.
- Decressin, Jorg & Fatas, Antonio, 1995.
"Regional labor market dynamics in Europe,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 1627-1655, December.
- Andrienko, Yuri & Guriev, Sergei, 2003.
"Determinants of Interregional Mobility in Russia: Evidence from Panel Data,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3835, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yuri Andrienko & Sergei Guriev, 2003. "Determinants of Interregional Mobility in Russia: Evidence from Panel Data," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 551, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Yuri Andrienko & Sergei Guriev, 2003. "Determinants of interregional mobility in Russia: evidence from panel data," Working Papers w0027, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Olivier Blanchard & Roberto Perotti, 1999.
"An Empirical Characterization of the Dynamic Effects of Changes in Government Spending and Taxes on Output,"
NBER Working Papers
7269, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier Blanchard & Roberto Perotti, 2002. "An Empirical Characterization Of The Dynamic Effects Of Changes In Government Spending And Taxes On Output," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 117(4), pages 1329-1368, November.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Lawrence F. Katz, 1992. "Regional Evolutions," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 23(1), pages 1-76.
- Fabian Bornhorst & Simon Commander, 2006.
"Regional unemployment and its persistence in transition countries,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 14(2), pages 269-288, 04.
- Bornhorst, Fabian & Commander, Simon, 2004. "Regional Unemployment and its Persistence in Transition Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 1074, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Litwack, John M., 2002. "Central Control of Regional Budgets: Theory with Applications to Russia," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 51-75, March.
- Boeri, Tito & Scarpetta, Stefano, 1996. "Regional mismatch and the transition to a market economy," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 233-254, October.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Giovanni Peri, 1998. "Regional non-adjustment and fiscal policy," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 13(26), pages 205-259, 04.
- Jurajda, Stepan & Terrell, Katherine, 2007.
"Regional Unemployment and Human Capital in Transition Economies,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6569, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stepán Jurajda & Katherine Terrell, 2009. "Regional unemployment and human capital in transition economies," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 17(2), pages 241-274, 04.
- Jurajda, Štepán & Terrell, Katherine, 2007. "Regional Unemployment and Human Capital in Transition Economies," IZA Discussion Papers 3176, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Stepan Jurajda & Katherine Terrell, 2007. "Regional Unemployment and Human Capital in Transition Economies," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp345, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Elliott Parker & Judith Thornton, 2007.
"Fiscal Centralisation and Decentralisation in Russia and China,"
Comparative Economic Studies,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 49(4), pages 514-542, December.
- Elliott Parker & Judith Thornton, 2006. "Fiscal Centralization and Decentralization in Russia and China," Working Papers 06-013, University of Nevada, Reno, Department of Economics & University of Nevada, Reno , Department of Resource Economics.
- Elena Vakulenko, 2014. "Does migration lead to regional convergence in Russia?," HSE Working papers WP BRP 53/EC/2014, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- David Hauner, 2007. "Benchmarking the Efficiency of Public Expenditure in the Russian Federation," IMF Working Papers 07/246, International Monetary Fund.
- Nienke Oomes & Oksana Dynnikova, 2006. "The Utilization-Adjusted Output Gap," IMF Working Papers 06/68, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.