An Anatomy of Corporate Bond Markets: Growing Pains and Knowledge Gains
AbstractThe objective of this paper is to discuss the key issues relating to the development of local corporate bond markets. We examine the requirements for local corporate bond market development, and compare and contrast experiences across both mature and emerging markets. We suggest that core aspects such as benchmarking, corporate governance and disclosure, credit risk pricing, the availability of reliable trading systems, and the development of hedging instruments are fundamental for improving the breadth and depth of corporate debt markets. The demand and supply of corporate bonds are dependent on factors such as the investor base, both local and foreign, and government policies toward the issuance process and associated costs, as well as the taxation regime. The sequencing of reforms is key to market development.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 05/152.
Date of creation: 01 Jul 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jorge Desormeaux, 2002. "Capital Markets in Chile: From Financial Repression to Financial Deepening," Economic Policy Papers Central Bank of Chile 04, Central Bank of Chile.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2002. "The development of bond markets in emerging economies," BIS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, number 11, May.
- World Bank & International Monetory Fund, 2001. "Developing Government Bond Markets : A Handbook," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13865, March.
- Rodrigo Cifuentes & Jorge Desormeaux & Claudio González, 2002. "Capital markets in Chile: from financial repression to financial deepening," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), The development of bond markets in emerging economies, volume 11, pages 86-102 Bank for International Settlements.
- Vives,Xavier (ed.), 2000. "Corporate Governance," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521781640, December.
- John D. Burger & Francis E. Warnock, 2004.
"Foreign participation in local-currency bond markets,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
794, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Burger, John D. & Warnock, Francis E., 2007. "Foreign participation in local currency bond markets," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 291-304.
- John D. Burger & Francis E. Warnock, 2006. "Foreign Participation in Local Currency Bond Markets," NBER Working Papers 12548, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- T. Todd Smith, 1995. "Markets for Corporate Debt Securities," IMF Working Papers 95/67, International Monetary Fund.
- Barry Eichengreen & Pipat Luengnaruemitchai, 2004.
"Why Doesn't Asia Have Bigger Bond Markets?,"
NBER Working Papers
10576, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Hawkins, 2002. "Bond markets and banks in emerging economies," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), The development of bond markets in emerging economies, volume 11, pages 42-48 Bank for International Settlements.
- Marco Pagano & Ernst-Ludwig von Thadden, 2004.
"The European Bond Markets under EMU,"
CSEF Working Papers
126, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Christian Calmès & Raymond Théoret, 2008. "Banking Deregulation and Financial Stability : is it Time to re-regulate in Canada ?," RePAd Working Paper Series UQO-DSA-wp042008, Département des sciences administratives, UQO.
- Nath, Golaka, 2012. "Indian corporate bonds market –an analytical prospective," MPRA Paper 38992, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jamel Boukhatem, 2009. "Essai sur les déterminants empiriques de développement des marchés obligataires," EconomiX Working Papers 2009-32, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- HÃ©lÃ¨ne Poirson, 2007. "Financial Market Implications of India's Pension Reform," IMF Working Papers 07/85, International Monetary Fund.
- Endo, Tadashi, 2008. "Broadening the offering choice of corporate bonds in emerging markets : cost-effective access to debt capital," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4655, The World Bank.
- Diego Valderrama & Katheryn N. Russ, .
"A Theory of Banks, Bonds, and the Distribution of Firm Size,"
915, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Diego Valderrama & Katheryn N. Russ, 2009. "A Theory of Banks, Bonds, and the Distribution of Firm Size," Working Papers 916, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Katheryn N. Russ & Diego Valderrama, 2009. "A Theory of Banks, Bonds, and the Distribution of Firm Size," NBER Working Papers 15454, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Katheryn N. Russ & Diego Valderrama, 2009. "A theory of banks, bonds, and the distribution of firm size," Working Paper Series 2009-25, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Sze Kim Chin & Nur Adiana Hiau Abdullah, 2013. "Announcements Effect of Corporate Bond Issuance and Its Determinants," Contemporary Economics, University of Finance and Management in Warsaw, vol. 7(1), March.
- Russ, Katheryn N. & Valderrama, Diego, 2012. "A theory of bank versus bond finance and intra-industry reallocation," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 652-673.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.