Competition in Indian Banking
AbstractIt is widely perceived that competition in the Indian banking sector has increased since the inception of the financial sector reforms in 1992. Using annual data on scheduled commercial banks for the period 1996-2004, the paper evaluates the validity of this claim in the Indian context. The empirical evidence reveals that the Indian banking system operates under competitive conditions and earns revenues as if under monopolistic competition.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 05/141.
Date of creation: 01 Jul 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-10-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2005-10-22 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CWA-2005-10-22 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-FMK-2005-10-22 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-MIC-2005-10-22 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lau, Lawrence J., 1982. "On identifying the degree of competitiveness from industry price and output data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 93-99.
- Gelos, R. G. & Roldos, Jorge, 2004.
"Consolidation and market structure in emerging market banking systems,"
Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 39-59, March.
- Gaston Gelos & Jorge Roldos, 2002. "Consolidation and Market Structure in Emerging Market Banking Systems," IMF Working Papers 02/186, International Monetary Fund.
- Molyneux, Phil & Lloyd-Williams, D. M. & Thornton, John, 1994. "Competitive conditions in european banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 445-459, May.
- Sherrill Shaffer, 1990.
"A test of competition in Canadian banking,"
90-18, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1993. "A Test of Competition in Canadian Banking," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(1), pages 49-61, February.
- J.A. Bikker & J.M. Groeneveld, 1998. "Competition and Concentration in the EU Banking Industry," Research Series Supervision (discontinued), Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision 8, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
- Panzar, John C & Rosse, James N, 1987. "Testing for "Monopoly" Equilibrium," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 443-56, June.
- Alexander, Donald L., 1988. "The oligopoly solution tested," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 361-364.
- Johan Mathisen & Thierry D. Buchs, 2005. "Competition and Efficiency in Banking," IMF Working Papers 05/17, International Monetary Fund.
- S. Baranzoni & P. Bianchi & L. Lambertini, 2000. "Market Structure," Working Papers 368, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- De Bandt, Olivier & Davis, E. Philip, 2000. "Competition, contestability and market structure in European banking sectors on the eve of EMU," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 1045-1066, June.
- Sami Mensi, 2010. "Measurement of Competitiveness Degree in Tunisian Deposit Banks: An Application of the Panzar and Rosse Model," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 57(2), pages 189-207, June.
- Bana Abuzayed & Nedal Al-Fayoumi & Hisham Gharaibeh, 2012. "Competition in MENA countries banking markets," International Journal of Financial Services Management, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 5(3), pages 272-301.
- Saab, Samer & Vacher, Jerome, 2007.
"Banking Sector Integration and Competition in CEMAC,"
2011, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- JÃ©rÃ´me Vacher & Samer Y. Saab, 2007. "Banking Sector Integration and Competition in CEMAC," IMF Working Papers 07/3, International Monetary Fund.
- Kv, Bhanu Murthy & Deb, Ashis Taru, 2008. "Operationalizing and Measuring Competition: Determinants of Competition in Private Banking Industry in India," MPRA Paper 7463, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sastry, D. V. S. & Singh, Balwant & Bhattacharya, Kaushik, 2009. "Stability of Lending Rate Stickiness: A Case Study of India," MPRA Paper 26570, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Zhao, Tianshu & Casu, Barbara & Ferrari, Alessandra, 2010. "The impact of regulatory reforms on cost structure, ownership and competition in Indian banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 246-254, January.
- Rezitis, Anthony N., 2010. "Evaluating the state of competition of the Greek banking industry," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 68-90, February.
- Alin Marius Andrieş & Bogdan Căpraru, 2012. "Competition and efficiency in EU27 banking systems," Baltic Journal of Economics, Baltic International Centre for Economic Policy Studies, Baltic International Centre for Economic Policy Studies, vol. 12(1), pages 41-60, July.
- Stijn Claessens, 2009. "Competition in the Financial Sector," IMF Working Papers 09/45, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.