The Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate in a Commodity Exporting Country
AbstractDrawing on the existing literature, I estimate a long-run equilibrium real exchange rate path for Algeria. I find that the Balassa-Samuelson effect together with real oil prices explain the long-run evolution of the equilibrium real exchange rate in Algeria. The half-life of the deviation of the real exchange rate from the estimated equilibrium level is about nine months, similar to that in other commodity-exporting countries. The general conclusions are that: (i) there is a time-varying long-run equilibrium exchange rate in Algeria as in other commodity-exporting countries; and (ii) the real effective exchange rate of the Algerian dinar at end-2003 was broadly in line with this equilibrium.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 05/135.
Date of creation: 01 Jul 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-10-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2005-10-22 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-FMK-2005-10-22 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-IFN-2005-10-22 (International Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Meese, Richard A. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1983. "Empirical exchange rate models of the seventies : Do they fit out of sample?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1-2), pages 3-24, February.
- Edison, Hali J & Melick, William R, 1999.
"Alternative Approaches to Real Exchange Rates and Real Interest Rates: Three Up and Three Down,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(2), pages 93-111, April.
- Hali J. Edison & William R. Melick, 1995. "Alternative approaches to real exchange rates and real interest rates: three up and three down," International Finance Discussion Papers 518, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bela Balassa, 1964. "The Purchasing-Power Parity Doctrine: A Reappraisal," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72, pages 584.
- Y.Chen & K. Rogoff, 2003.
"Commodity Currencies and Empirical Exchange Rate Puzzles,"
DNB Staff Reports (discontinued)
76, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Kenneth Rogoff & Yu-chin Chen, 2002. "Commodity Currencies and Empirical Exchange Rate Puzzles," IMF Working Papers 02/27, International Monetary Fund.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501.
- Taylor, Mark P. & Peel, David A., 2000. "Nonlinear adjustment, long-run equilibrium and exchange rate fundamentals," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 33-53, February.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "The Purchasing Power Parity Puzzle," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(2), pages 647-668, June.
- Peter J. Montiel & Jonathan D. Ostry, 1991.
"Macroeconomic Implications of Real Exchange Rate Targeting in Developing Countries,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(4), pages 872-900, December.
- Peter Montiel & Jonathan David Ostry, 1991. "Macroeconomic Implications of Real Exchange Rate Targeting in Developing Countries," IMF Working Papers 91/29, International Monetary Fund.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1982. "PPP Exchange-Rate Rules and Macroeconomic Stability," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(1), pages 158-65, February.
- Mohsin S. Khan & Jonathan David Ostry, 1991.
"Response of the Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate to Real Disturbances in Developing Countries,"
IMF Working Papers
91/3, International Monetary Fund.
- Khan, Mohsin S. & Ostry, Jonathan D., 1992. "Response of the equilibrium real exchange rate to real disturbances in developing countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 1325-1334, September.
- Mohsin S. Khan & Ehsan U. Choudhri, 2004. "Real Exchange Rates in Developing Countries," IMF Working Papers 04/188, International Monetary Fund.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Ratna Sahay & Luis Felipe CÃ©spedes & Paul Cashin, 2002. "Keynes, Cocoa, and Copper," IMF Working Papers 02/223, International Monetary Fund.
- Peter B. Clark & Ronald MacDonald, 2000. "Filtering the Beer," IMF Working Papers 00/144, International Monetary Fund.
- Korhonen, Iikka & Juurikkala, Tuuli, 2007. "Equilibrium exchange rates in oil-dependent countries," BOFIT Discussion Papers 8/2007, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Todd Schneider & Nabil Ben Ltaifa & Faisal Ahmed & Saade Chami, 2007. "Yemen," IMF Working Papers 07/5, International Monetary Fund.
- Kangni KPODAR & Oumar DIALLO & Boileau LOKO, 2008.
"Buoyant Capital Spending and Worries over Real Appreciation: Cold Facts from Algeria,"
- Oumar Diallo & Boileau Loko & Kangni Kpodar, 2007. "Buoyant Capital Spending and Worries Over Real Appreciation," IMF Working Papers 07/286, International Monetary Fund.
- Kangni Kpodar & Boileau Loko & Oumar Diallo, 2011. "Buoyant Capital Spending and Worries over Real Appreciation: Cold Facts from Algeria," Working Papers halshs-00556935, HAL.
- Eugenio Cerutti & Mario Mansilla, 2008. "Bolivia," IMF Working Papers 08/154, International Monetary Fund.
- Jesús Ferreyra & Jorge Salas, 2006. "The Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate in Peru: BEER Models and Confidence Band Building," Working Papers 2006-006, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú.
- Elena Loukoianova & Plamen Iossifov, 2007. "Estimation of a Behavioral Equilibrium Exchange Rate Model for Ghana," IMF Working Papers 07/155, International Monetary Fund.
- Ogundipe, Adeyemi & Ogundipe, Oluwatomisin, 2013. "Oil Price and Exchange Rate Volatility in Nigeria," MPRA Paper 51668, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hayat, Aziz & Ganiev, Bahodir & Tang, Xueli, 2013. "Expectations of future income and real exchange rate movements," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 1274-1285.
- Habib, Maurizio Michael & Kalamova, Margarita Manolova, 2007. "Are there oil currencies? The real exchange rate of oil exporting countries," Working Paper Series 0839, European Central Bank.
- Sosunov, K. & Ushakov, N., 2009. "Determination of the Real Exchange Rate of the Ruble and Assessment of Long-Run Policy of Real Exchange Rate Targeting," Journal of the New Economic Association, New Economic Association, issue 3-4, pages 97-121.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.