Subnational Public Financial Management
AbstractTransparent public financial management at the subnational level requires institutions and processes that mirror those needed at the central government level, in order to generate better accountability and competition among different subnational governments, critical elements in ensuring good governance and efficiency of decentralized administrations. Further subnational debt also has implications for overall macroeconomic stability that concerns the central government. The key components are identified, with a particular focus on subnational debt monitoring and management.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 05/108.
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Schaeffer, Michael & Yilmaz, Serdar, 2008. "Strengthening local government budgeting and accountability," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4767, The World Bank.
- Paula González & Jean Hindriks & Ben Lockwood & Nicolás Porteiro, 2006.
"Political Budget Cycles and Fiscal Decentralization,"
06.13, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
- Gonzales, Paula & Hindriks, Jean & Lockwood, Ben & Porteiro, Nicolas, 2006. "Political Budget Cycles and Fiscal Decentralization," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 742, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Paula, GONZALEZ & Jean HINDRIKS & Ben, LOCKWOOD, 2006. "Political Budget Cycles and Fiscal Decentralization," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2006016, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- GONZALEZ, Paula & HINDRIKS, Jean & LOCKWOOD, Ben & PORTEIRO, Nicolas, 2006. "Political budget cycles and fiscal decentralization," CORE Discussion Papers 2006031, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gonzalez, Paula & Hindriks, Jean J.G. & Lockwood, Ben & Porteiro, Nicolas, 2006. "Political Budget Cycles and Fiscal Decentralization," CEPR Discussion Papers 5646, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Clémence Vergne, 2011.
"Democracy, Elections and Allocation of Public Expenditure in Developing Countries,"
- Vergne, Clémence, 2009. "Democracy, elections and allocation of public expenditures in developing countries," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 63-77, March.
- Clémence VERGNE, 2006. "Democracy, Elections and Allocation of Public Expenditure in Developing Countries," Working Papers 200608, CERDI.
- Joanilson de Carvalho Santos, 2013. "Fiscal federalism in Brazil: the importance of data disclosure of subnational governments," IFC Bulletins chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Proceedings of the Sixth IFC Conference on "Statistical issues and activities in a changing environment", Basel, 28-29 August 2012., volume 36, pages 405-414 Bank for International Settlements.
- Ehtisham Ahmad and Mercedes García-Escribano & Mercedes García-Escribano, 2008. "Constraints to Effective Fiscal Decentralization in Peru," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0824, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Ehtisham Ahmad & Giorgio Brosio & Vito Tanzi, 2008. "Local Service Provision in Selected Oecd Countries," IMF Working Papers 08/67, International Monetary Fund.
- Sorribas-Navarro, Pilar, 2011. "Bailouts in a fiscal federal system: Evidence from Spain," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 154-170, March.
- Ehtisham Ahmad & Mercedes Garcia-Escribano, 2006. "Fiscal Decentralization and Public Subnational Financial Management in Peru," IMF Working Papers 06/120, International Monetary Fund.
- Ehtisham Ahmad, 2008. "Fiscal policy instruments and the political economy of designing programs to reach the poorest," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 38344, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- William F. Fox & Balakrishna Menon, 2008. "Decentralization in Bangladesh: Change Has Been Elusive," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0829, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Giuriato, Luisa & Gastaldi, Francesca, 2008. "The Domestic Stability Pact: Assessment of the Italian experience and comparison with the other EMU countries," MPRA Paper 14455, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ehtisham Ahmad & Giorgio Brosio, 2009. "Decentralization and local service provision: what do we know?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 38347, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Holger Kächelein, 2011. "Fiscal Federalism And Public Debt Fiscal Instability Due To Multi Level Borrowing In A Model Of Neoclassical Growth "," Analele Stiintifice ale Universitatii "Alexandru Ioan Cuza" din Iasi - Stiinte Economice, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, vol. 58, pages 123-132, november.
- A. Prasad & Adarsh Kishore, 2007. "Indian Subnational Finances," IMF Working Papers 07/205, International Monetary Fund.
- Chris Chan & Danny Forwood & Heather Roper & Chris Sayers, 2009. "Public Infrastructure Financing: An International Perspective," Staff Working Papers 0902, Productivity Commission, Government of Australia.
- Hansjörg Blöchliger & Claire Charbit, 2008. "Fiscal equalisation," OECD Journal: Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2008(1), pages 1-22.
- Giuriato, Luisa & Gastaldi, Francesca, 2009. "The domestic stability pact in Italy: a rule for discipline?," MPRA Paper 15183, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.