A Multivariate Filter for Measuring Potential Output and the NAIRU Application to the Czech Republic
AbstractThis paper presents a multivariate (MV) methodology for obtaining measures of excess demand that can facilitate discussion of monetary policy issues and improve policy decisions. Using data for the Czech Republic, a growing economy undergoing major structural change, it shows how the use of more information to condition the paths of potential output and the non accelerating inflation rate of unemployment (NAIRU) improves on univariate methods as the Hodrick-Prescott (HP) filter.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 04/45.
Date of creation: 01 Mar 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harvey, A C & Jaeger, A, 1993. "Detrending, Stylized Facts and the Business Cycle," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(3), pages 231-47, July-Sept.
- Horváth, Roman, 2009.
"The time-varying policy neutral rate in real-time: A predictor for future inflation?,"
Economic Modelling, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 71-81, January.
- Roman Horvath, 2007. "The Time-Varying Policy Neutral Rate in Real Time: A Predictor for Future Inflation?," Working Papers, Czech National Bank, Research Department 2007/4, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- L Christopher Plantier & Ozer Karagedikli, 2005. "Do so-called multivariate filters have better revision properties? An empirical analysis," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005, Society for Computational Economics 250, Society for Computational Economics.
- Hjelm, Göran & Jönsson, Kristian, 2010. "In Search of a Method for Measuring the Output Gap of the Swedish Economy," Working Paper, National Institute of Economic Research 115, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Michael Graff, 2004. "Estimates of the output gap in real time: how well have we been doing?," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series DP 2004/04, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Jaromir Benes & David Vavra, 2004. "Eigenvalue Decomposition of Time Series with Application to the Czech Business Cycle," Working Papers, Czech National Bank, Research Department 2004/08, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Roman Horváth, 2006.
"Real-Time Time-Varying Equilibrium Interest Rates: Evidence on the Czech Republic,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp848, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Horvath, Roman, 2006. "Real-Time Time-Varying Equilibrium Interest Rates: Evidence on the Czech Republic," MPRA Paper 845, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Beneš, Jaromír & Vávra, David, 2005. "Eigenvalue filtering in VAR models with application to the Czech business cycle," Working Paper Series, European Central Bank 0549, European Central Bank.
- Kappler, Marcus, 2007. "Projecting the Medium-Term: Outcomes and Errors for GDP Growth," ZEW Discussion Papers, ZEW - Zentrum fÃ¼r EuropÃ¤ische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research 07-068, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Andreas Billmeier, 2004. "Measuring a Roller Coaster," IMF Working Papers 04/57, International Monetary Fund.
- Adolfo L.Cobo, . "Output Gap in Colombia: An Eclectic Approach," Borradores de Economia 327, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Adolfo Cobo, 2005. "Output Gap In Colombia: An Eclectic Approach," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003310, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.