Foreign Direct Investment and Regional Trade Agreements: The Market Size Effect Revisited
AbstractThe paper investigates whether the market size of a regional trade agreement (RTA) is a determinant of foreign direct investment (FDI) received by countries participating in the RTA. This hypothesis is tested on a sample of 71 developing countries during the period 1980-99. Evidence is found that the RTA market size had a positive impact on the FDI received by member countries, even more so in the 1990s when such agreements were revived and became more widespread. The size of domestic population also seemed to matter, possibly because of its effect on the availability of the labor supply. It appears, however, that not all countries in the RTA benefited to the same extent from the RTA: countries with a relatively more educated labor force and/or a relatively more stable financial situation tended to attract a larger share of FDI at the expense of their RTA partners. This evidence suggests it is essential for all RTA countries to improve their business environment to the best available in the region. Finally, a partial negative correlation between the FDI received by RTA countries and that received by non-RTA countries possibly reflects a diversion of FDI from non-RTA to RTA countries. As an illustration, FDI benefits are simulated from the creation of a regional trade agreement between Algeria, Morocco, and Tunisia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 04/206.
Date of creation: 01 Nov 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-10-22 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baldwin, Richard E. & Venables, Anthony J., 1995. "Regional economic integration," Handbook of International Economics, in: G. M. Grossman & K. Rogoff (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 31, pages 1597-1644 Elsevier.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1997.
"Regional Integration and Foreign Direct Investment,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1659, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Ari Kokko, 1997. "Regional Integration and Foreign Direct Investment," NBER Working Papers 6019, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1997. "Regional Integration and Foreign Direct Investment," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 172, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Jong-Wha Lee & Jose De Gregorio & Eduardo Borensztein, 1994.
"How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth,"
IMF Working Papers
94/110, International Monetary Fund.
- Borensztein, E. & De Gregorio, J. & Lee, J-W., 1998. "How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth?1," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 115-135, June.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Jose De Gregorio & Jong-Wha Lee, 1995. "How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth?," NBER Working Papers 5057, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- International Monetary Fund, 1992. "Regional Trade Arrangements," IMF Occasional Papers 93, International Monetary Fund.
- Robert J. Barro & Jong-Wha Lee, 2000.
"International Data on Educational Attainment: Updates and Implications,"
CID Working Papers
42, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Barro, Robert J & Lee, Jong-Wha, 2001. "International Data on Educational Attainment: Updates and Implications," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(3), pages 541-63, July.
- Robert J. Barro & Jong-Wha Lee, 2000. "International Data on Educational Attainment Updates and Implications," NBER Working Papers 7911, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J Barro, 1999. "Determinants of Economic Growth: Implications of the Global Evidence for Chile," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 36(107), pages 443-478.
- John H. Dunning, 1997. "The European Internal Market Programme and Inbound Foreign Direct Investment," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(1), pages 1-30, 03.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Singh, Harinder & Kwang W. Jun, 1995. "Some new evidence on determinants of foreign direct investment in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1531, The World Bank.
- Blomström, Magnus & Globerman, Steve & Kokko, Ari, 2000. "The Determinants of Host Country Spillovers from Foreign Direct Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 2350, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John H. Dunning, 1997. "The European Internal Market Programme and Inbound Foreign Direct Investment," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(2), pages 189-223, 06.
- Agustin Carstens, 2004. "Making Regional Economic Integration Work," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 43(4), pages 335-352.
- Halis M. Yildiz, 2013.
"Foreign direct investment and customs union: Incentives for multilateral tariff cooperation over free trade,"
Journal of International Trade & Economic Development,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 22(2), pages 298-316, March.
- Yildiz, Halis Murat, 2010. "Foreign Direct Investment and Customs Union: Incentives for Multilateral Tariff Cooperation over Free Trade," MPRA Paper 22346, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bouoiyour, Jamal & Rey, Serge, 2005.
"Régime de change, taux de change réel, flux commerciaux et investissements directs étrangers: le cas du Maroc
[Real exchange rate, trade flows and foreign direct investments: the Moroccan case]," MPRA Paper 49503, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Daniel Santabarbara & Alicia Garcia-Herrero, 2005.
"Does China have an impact on foreign direct investment to Latin America?,"
- Garcia-Herrero, Alicia & Santabarbara, Daniel, 2007. "Does China have an impact on foreign direct investment to Latin America?," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 266-286.
- Alicia García-Herrero & Daniel Santabárbara, 2005. "Does China have an impact on foreign direct investment to Latin America?," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0517, Banco de Espa�a.
- Alicia Garcia-Herrero & Daniel Santabarbara, 2005. "Does China have an impact on foreign direct investment to Latin America?," International Finance 0508010, EconWPA.
- Puah, Chin-Hong & Kueh, Jerome Swee-Hui & Lau, Evan, 2007.
"The Implications Of Emergence Of China Towards Asean-5: Fdi-Gdp Perspective,"
5219, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Puah, Chin-Hong & Kueh, Jerome Swee-Hui & Lau, Evan, 2007. "The Implications Of Emergence Of China Towards Asean-5: Fdi-Gdp Perspective," MPRA Paper 4550, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Park, Innwon & Park, Soonchan, 2006.
"Reform-creating regional trade agreements and foreign direct investment: applications for East Asia,"
1817, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jan 2007.
- Innwon Park & Soonchan Park, 2008. "Reform Creating Regional Trade Agreements And Foreign Direct Investment: Applications For East Asia," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(5), pages 550-566, December.
- Medvedev, Denis, 2006. "Beyond trade : the impact of preferential trade agreements on foreign direct investment inflows," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4065, The World Bank.
- Normaz Ismail, 2009. "The Determinant of Foreign Direct Investment in ASEAN: A Semi-Gravity Approach," Transition Studies Review, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 710-722, October.
- Jose R. Lopez-Calix & Peter Walkenhorst & Ndiame Diop, 2010. "Trade Competitiveness of the Middle East and North Africa : Policies for Export Diversification," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2466.
- Heather D. Gibson & Nicholas T. Tsaveas & Thomas Vlassopoulos, 2006. "Capital Flows, Capital Account Liberalisation and the Mediterranean Countries," Working Papers 33, Bank of Greece.
- Arazmuradov, Annageldy, 2011.
"Foreign aid, foreign direct investment and domestic investment nexus in landlocked economies of Central Asia,"
36881, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 23 Feb 2012.
- Annageldy Arazmuradov, 2012. "Foreign Aid, Foreign Direct Investment, and Domestic Investment Nexus in Landlocked Economies of Central Asia," Economic Research Guardian, Weissberg Publishing, vol. 2(1), pages 129-151, May.
- Paul Missios & Halis Murat Yildiz & Ida Ferrara, 2009. "Foreign Direct Investment and the Choice of Environmental Policy," Working Papers 004, Ryerson University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.