Pension Funds and Emerging Markets
AbstractThis paper focuses on the investment behavior of pension funds in developed and emerging market countries. First, it analyzes the main determinants of the emerging market asset allocation of pension funds in developed countries. Second, it assesses how pension funds in emerging markets have contributed to the development of local securities markets. Third, it analyzes the determinants of pension funds' investment performance. The paper concludes with a discussion of why the emerging market asset allocation of pension funds in developed countries is likely to increase and what the challenges faced by pension funds in emerging markets are.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 04/181.
Date of creation: 01 Sep 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-10-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2005-10-22 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-FIN-2005-10-22 (Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2005-10-22 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-PUB-2005-10-22 (Public Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Blake, 1999. "Portfolio Choice Models of Pension Funds and Life Assurance Companies: Similarities and Differences," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(3), pages 327-357, July.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Rother, P.C. & Catenaro, M. & Schwab, G., 2003. "Ageing and pensions in the Euro Area Survey and projection results," Social Protection Discussion Papers 25986, The World Bank.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1985. "Using daily stock returns : The case of event studies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-31, March.
- Alfredo Cuevas & G. A. Mackenzie & Philip R. Gerson, 1997. "Pension Regimes and Saving," IMF Occasional Papers 153, International Monetary Fund.
- Bodie, Zvi & Merton, Robert C., 2002. "International pension swaps," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(01), pages 77-83, March.
- Holzmann, Robert & Mac Arthur, Ian W. & Sin, Yvonne, 2000. "Pension systems in East Asia and the Pacific : challenges and opportunities," Social Protection Discussion Papers 23088, The World Bank.
- Kumara, Ajantha Sisira & Pfau, Wade Donald, 2011.
"Would emerging market pension funds benefit from international diversification: investigating wealth accumulations for pension participants,"
31395, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 10 Jun 2011.
- Ajantha Kumara & Wade Pfau, 2013. "Would emerging market pension funds benefit from international diversification: investigating wealth accumulations for pension participants," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 319-335, August.
- Pfau, Wade Donald, 2009.
"The Role of International Diversification in Public Pension Systems: The Case of Pakistan,"
19037, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- W Pfau, 2009. "The Role of International Diversification in Public Pension Systems: The Case of Pakistan," Economic Issues Journal Articles, Economic Issues, vol. 14(2), pages 81-106, September.
- Wade D. Pfau, 2008.
"Emerging Market Pension Funds and International Diversification,"
GRIPS Discussion Papers
08-10, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Pfau, Wade Donald, 2009. "Emerging Market Pension Funds and International Diversification," MPRA Paper 19039, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wade D. Pfau, 2007. "Asset Allocation for the Pakistan Pension System: A Role for International Diversification?," GRIPS Discussion Papers 07-06, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2009. "Capital flows and emerging market economies," CGFS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, number 33, January.
- Hu, Yuwei, 2012. "Growth of Asian Pension Assets: Implications for Financial and Capital Markets," ADBI Working Papers 360, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Musalem, Alberto R. & Pasquini, Ricardo, 2012. "Private pension systems : cross-country investment performance," Social Protection Discussion Papers 68937, The World Bank.
- Ajantha Sisira Kumara & Wade D. Pfau, 2010.
"Reforming Pension Funds in Sri Lanka: International Diversification and the Employees’ Provident Fund,"
GRIPS Discussion Papers
10-13, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Ajantha Sisira Kumara & Wade Pfau, 2012. "Reforming Pension Funds In Sri Lanka: International Diversification And The Employees' Provident Fund," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(1), pages 23-37, 03.
- Martin T. Bohl, Judith Lischewski and Svitlana Voronkova, 2008. "Does Regulation Hurt Pension Funds' Performance? Evidence from Strongly Regulated Pension Fund Industries," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp247, IIIS.
- Groh, Alexander P. & Liechtenstein, Heinrich & Canela, Miguel A., 2008. "Limited partners' perceptions of the Central Eastern European venture capital and private equity market," IESE Research Papers D/727, IESE Business School.
- Gaston Gelos, 2011. "International Mutual Funds, Capital Flow Volatility, and Contagion-A Survey," IMF Working Papers 11/92, International Monetary Fund.
- Fahad Rehman, 2010. "Asset Allocation for Government Pension Funds in Pakistan: A Case for International Diversification," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 15(1), pages 127-151, Jan-Jun.
- Yuwei Hu, 2012. "Growth of Asian Pension Assets: Implications for Financial and Capital Markets," Working Papers id:5025, eSocialSciences.
- Anna Zalewska, 2006. "Is Locking Domestic Funds into the Local Market Beneficial? Evidence from the Polish Pension Reforms," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 06/153, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Rehman, Fahd, 2010. "Asset Allocation for Government Pension Funds in Pakistan:A Case for International Diversification," MPRA Paper 25060, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bohl, Martin T. & Lischewski, Judith & Voronkova, Svitlana, 2010. "Pension funds' performance in strongly regulated industries in Central Europe: Evidence from Poland and Hungary," ZEW Discussion Papers 10-076, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.