Interest Rate Volatility and Risk in Indian Banking
AbstractThe easing of controls on interest rates has led to higher interest rate volatility in India. Hence, there is a need to measure and monitor the interest rate exposure of Indian banks. Using publicly available information, this paper attempts to assess the interest rate risk carried by a sample of Indian banks in March 2002. We find evidence of substantial exposure to interest rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 04/17.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-10-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2005-10-22 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-FIN-2005-10-22 (Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2005-10-22 (Financial Markets)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ila Patnaik & Ajay Shah, 2005. "Interest-rate risk in the Indian banking system," Risk and Insurance 0501003, EconWPA.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2004.
"The modern history of exchange rate arrangements: A reinterpretation,"
14070, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2004. "The Modern History of Exchange Rate Arrangements: A Reinterpretation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 119(1), pages 1-48, February.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2002. "The Modern History of Exchange Rate Arrangements: A Reinterpretation," NBER Working Papers 8963, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo, 2002.
"Fear of floating,"
14000, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David M. Wright & James V. Houpt, 1996. "An analysis of commercial bank exposure to interest rate risk," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Feb, pages 115-128.
- Study group on fixed income markets, 2001. "The changing shape of fixed income markets," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), The changing shape of fixed income markets: a collection of studies by central bank economists, volume 5, pages 1-43 Bank for International Settlements.
- Taimur Baig, 2001. "Characterizing Exchange Rate Regimes in Post-Crisis East Asia," IMF Working Papers 01/152, International Monetary Fund.
- Kletzer, Kenneth, 2004. "Liberalizing Capital Flows in India: Financial Repression, Macroeconomic Policy and Gradual Reforms," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt9h27k0ff, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Amadou N. R. Sy, 2005. "Managing the Interest Rate Risk of Indian Banks' Government Securities Holdings," IMF Working Papers 05/78, International Monetary Fund.
- Kletzer, Kenneth, 2004. "Liberalizing Capital Flows in India: Financial Repression, Macroeconomic Policy and Gradual Reforms," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt3kj2w649, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Saha, Asish & Subramanian, V. & Basu, Sanjay & Mishra, Alok Kumar, 2009. "Networth exposure to interest rate risk: An empirical analysis of Indian commercial banks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 193(2), pages 581-590, March.
- Kletzer, Kenneth, 2004. "Liberalizing Capital Flows in India: Financial Repression, Macroeconomic Policy and Gradual Reforms," Santa Cruz Center for International Economics, Working Paper Series qt3kj2w649, Center for International Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Dash, Debasis Kumar, 2010. "INDIAN Bank Base Rate:An Overview," MPRA Paper 25667, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 28 Oct 2010.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.