Risk Instability and the Pattern of Foreign Direct Investment in the Middle East and North Africa Region
AbstractThis paper demonstrates that instability associated with investment risk is critical in explaining the level of foreign direct investment for the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) countries, which generally have higher investment risk than developed countries. The empirical results support this hypothesis, whether either the standard deviation or the interquartile range is used as a measure of instability, in a dynamic panel model. The paper recommends a reorientation of policies toward those with a longer-term focus in order to help lower the degree of risk instability for MENA countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 04/139.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert E. Lipsey, 2001. "Foreign Direct Investors in Three Financial Crises," NBER Working Papers 8084, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joshua Aizenman, 2002.
"Volatility, employment and the patterns of FDI in emerging markets,"
NBER Working Papers
9397, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aizenman, Joshua, 2003. "Volatility, employment and the patterns of FDI in emerging markets," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 585-601, December.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Singh, Harinder & Kwang W. Jun, 1995. "Some new evidence on determinants of foreign direct investment in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1531, The World Bank.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1990. "Why Doesn't Capital Flow from Rich to Poor Countries?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 92-96, May.
- Joshua Aizenman & Ilan Noy, 2005.
"FDI and Trade -- Two Way Linkages?,"
NBER Working Papers
11403, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joshua Aizenman & Ilan Noy, 2005. "FDI and Trade - Two Way Linkages?," Economics Study Area Working Papers 76, East-West Center, Economics Study Area.
- Joshua Aizenman & Ilan Noy, 2005. "FDI and Trade – Two Way Linkages?," Working Papers 200505, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Noy, Ilan, 2005.
"FDI and Trade â€“ Two Way Linkages?,"
Santa Cruz Center for International Economics, Working Paper Series
qt778218p6, Center for International Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Noy, Ilan, 2005. "FDI and Trade â€“ Two Way Linkages?," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt301285n0, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Noy, Ilan, 2005. "FDI and Trade â€“ Two Way Linkages?," Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt778218p6, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Daniele, Vittorio & Marani, Ugo, 2006. "Do institutions matter for FDI? A comparative analysis for the MENA countries," MPRA Paper 2426, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Abera Demeke & Alwin Keil & Manfred Zeller, 2011.
"Using panel data to estimate the effect of rainfall shocks on smallholders food security and vulnerability in rural Ethiopia,"
Springer, vol. 108(1), pages 185-206, September.
- Demeke, Abera Birhanu & Zeller, Manfred, 2009. "Using panel data to estimate the effect of rainfall shocks on smallholders food security and vulnerability in rural Ethiopia," Research in Development Economics and Policy (Discussion Paper Series) 57994, Universitaet Hohenheim, Department of Agricultural Economics and Social Sciences in the Tropics and Subtropics.
- Al Khattab, Adel & Anchor, John R. & Davies, Eleanor M.M., 2008. "The institutionalisation of political risk assessment (IPRA) in Jordanian international firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 688-702, December.
- Mina, Wasseem Michel, 2012. "The Institutional Reforms Debate and FDI Flows to the MENA Region: The “Best” Ensemble," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(9), pages 1798-1809.
- Sekkat, Khalid, 2012. "Manufactured Exports and FDI in Southern Mediterranean Countries: Evolution, determinants and prospects," CEPS Papers 6849, Centre for European Policy Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.