Characterizing Global Investors' Risk Appetite for Emerging Market Debt During Financial Crises
AbstractThe effects of unanticipated movements in global risk on nine emerging bond markets are investigated. The components of global risk are volatility, credit, and liquidity risks. Country and contagion risks are also studied individually. A historical decomposition of bond spreads is used to identify the relative contributions of risk during 1998-99. The empirical results show that the Russian/LTCM crises were characterized by increases in global credit risk, while the relative size of global risk factors was mixed for the Brazilian crisis, with no component dominating. Country risk is found to be important for all countries, while there is little evidence of contagion risk.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 03/251.
Date of creation: 01 Dec 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Sergio L. Schmukler, 1999.
"What triggers market jitters: a chronicle of the Asian crisis,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
634, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Kaminsky, Graciela L. & Schmukler, Sergio L., 1999. "What triggers market jitters?: A chronicle of the Asian crisis," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 537-560, August.
- Kaminsky, Graciela L. & Schmukler, Sergio L., 1999. "What triggers market jitters? A chronicle of the Asian crisis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2094, The World Bank.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 2008.
"The center and the periphery: The globalization of financial turmoil,"
14100, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen Reinhart, 2003. "The Center and the Periphery: The Globalization of Financial Turmoil," NBER Working Papers 9479, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas W. Diamond & Philip H. Dybvig, 2000.
"Bank runs, deposit insurance, and liquidity,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 14-23.
- Mardi Dungey & Renee Fry, 2003. "Identification of Common and Idiosyncratic Shocks in Real Equity Prices: Australia 1982 to 2002," Departmental Working Papers 2003-18, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Calvo, Guillermo A. & Mendoza, Enrique G., 2000.
"Rational contagion and the globalization of securities markets,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 79-113, June.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Enrique G. Mendoza, 1999. "Regional Contagion and the Globalization of Securities Markets," NBER Working Papers 7153, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1993.
"Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 821-56, July.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990. "Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 943, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- James Peck & Karl Shell, 2003.
"Equilibrium Bank Runs,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(1), pages 103-123, February.
- Garry J. Schinasi & R. Todd Smith, 2000.
"Portfolio Diversification, Leverage, and Financial Contagion,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 47(2), pages 1.
- T. Todd Smith & Garry J. Schinasi, 1999. "Portfolio Diversification, Leverage, and Financial Contagion," IMF Working Papers 99/136, International Monetary Fund.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Shiller, Robert J, 1981.
"The Determinants of the Variability of Stock Market Prices,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 71(2), pages 222-27, May.
- Sanford J. Grossman & Robert J. Shiller, 1981. "The Determinants of the Variability of Stock Market Prices," NBER Working Papers 0564, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- S. Grossman & R. Shiller, . "The Determinants of the Variability of Stock Market Price," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 18-80, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Glick, Reuven & Rose, Andrew K., 1999.
"Contagion and trade: Why are currency crises regional?,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 603-617, August.
- Reuven Glick & Andrew K. Rose, 1998. "Contagion and trade: why are currency crises regional?," Pacific Basin Working Paper Series 98-03, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Glick, Reuven & Rose, Andrew K, 1998. "Contagion and Trade: Why are Currency Crises Regional," CEPR Discussion Papers 1947, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Reuven Glick & Andrew K. Rose, 1998. "Contagion and Trade: Why Are Currency Crises Regional?," NBER Working Papers 6806, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ilan Goldfajn & Rodrigo O. ValdÃ©s, 1997. "Capital Flows and the Twin Crises : The Role of Liquidity," IMF Working Papers 97/87, International Monetary Fund.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y., 1997.
"Generalised Impulse Response Analysis in Linear Multivariate Models,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9710, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, H. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1998. "Generalized impulse response analysis in linear multivariate models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 17-29, January.
- John Y. Campbell, 1995.
"Understanding Risk and Return,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1711, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey & Angela Ng, 2005.
"Market Integration and Contagion,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(1), pages 39-70, January.
- Dungey, Mardi & Fry, Renee & Martin, Vance L., 2004. "Identification of common and idiosyncratic shocks in real equity prices: Australia, 1982-2002," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 81-102.
- Barry Eichengreen & Andrew K. Rose & Charles Wyplosz, 1996.
"Contagious Currency Crises,"
NBER Working Papers
5681, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laura E. Kodres & Matthew Pritsker, 2002. "A Rational Expectations Model of Financial Contagion," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(2), pages 769-799, 04.
- Solnik, Bruno H., 1974. "An equilibrium model of the international capital market," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 500-524, August.
- Breeden, Douglas T., 1979. "An intertemporal asset pricing model with stochastic consumption and investment opportunities," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 265-296, September.
- John Lintner, 1965. "Security Prices, Risk, And Maximal Gains From Diversification," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 20(4), pages 587-615, December.
- Miroslav Misina, 2003.
"What does the risk-appetite index measure?,"
AccessEcon, vol. 28(6), pages A6.
- Bruce E. Hansen, 1995.
"Approximate Asymptotic P-Values for Structural Change Tests,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
297., Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1997. "Approximate Asymptotic P Values for Structural-Change Tests," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 15(1), pages 60-67, January.
- Kristin J. Forbes, 2001.
"Are Trade Linkages Important Determinants of Country Vulnerability to Crises?,"
NBER Working Papers
8194, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kristin J. Forbes, 2002. "Are Trade Linkages Important Determinants of Country Vulnerability to Crises?," NBER Chapters, in: Preventing Currency Crises in Emerging Markets, pages 77-132 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Masson, 1999.
"Multiple equilibria, contagion, and the emerging market crises,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Sep.
- Paul R. Masson, 1999. "Multiple Equilibria, Contagion, and the Emerging Market Crises," IMF Working Papers 99/164, International Monetary Fund.
- Morris Goldstein, 1998. "The Asian Financial Crisis," Policy Briefs PB98-1, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger & Park, Yung Chul & Claessens, Stijn, 2000. "Contagion: Understanding How It Spreads," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 15(2), pages 177-97, August.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:28:y:2003:i:6:p:a6 is not listed on IDEAS
- International Monetary Fund, 2000. "Spillovers Through Banking Centers - A Panel Data Analysis," IMF Working Papers 00/88, International Monetary Fund.
- Renee Fry & Vance Martin & Brenda GonzÃ¡lez-Hermosillo & Mardi Dungey, 2002. "International Contagion Effects from the Russian Crisis and the LTCM Near-Collapse," IMF Working Papers 02/74, International Monetary Fund.
- Manmohan S. Kumar & Avinash Persaud, 2001. "Pure Contagion and Investors Shifting Risk Appetite: Analytical Issues and Empirical Evidence," IMF Working Papers 01/134, International Monetary Fund.
- Kruger, Mark & Osakwe, Patrick N. & Page, Jennifer, 1998. "Fundamentals, Contagion and Currency Crises: An Empirical Analysis," Working Papers 98-10, Bank of Canada.
- Philipp Maier & Garima Vasishtha, 2008. "Good Policies or Good Fortune: What Drives the Compression in Emerging Market Spreads?," Working Papers 08-25, Bank of Canada.
- Brenda GonzÃ¡lez-Hermosillo, 2008. "Investorsâ€™ Risk Appetite and Global Financial Market Conditions," IMF Working Papers 08/85, International Monetary Fund.
- Alicia Garcia Herrero & Alvaro Ortiz, 2004.
"The Role Of Global Risk Aversion In Explaining Latin American Sovereign Spreads,"
- Alicia García-Herrero & Álvaro Ortiz, 2005. "The role of global risk aversion in explaining Latin American sovereign spreads," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0505, Banco de Espa�a.
- Alicia Garcia Herrero & Alvaro Ortiz, 2005. "The Role Of Global Risk Aversion In Explaining Latin American Sovereign Spreads," International Finance 0503005, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.