Portfolio Flows Into India
AbstractThis paper analyzes the factors affecting portfolio equity flows into India using monthly data. Flows to India are small compared to other emerging markets, but seem to be relatively less volatile. They also seem to be quite resilient. The paper shows that portfolio flows are determined by both external and domestic factors. Among external factors, LIBOR and emerging market stock returns are important, while the primary domestic determinants are the lagged stock return and changes in credit ratings. In quantitative terms, both external and domestic factors are found to be about equally important.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 03/20.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mody, Ashoka & Murshid, Antu Panini, 2005.
"Growing up with capital flows,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 249-266, January.
- Nada Mora & Ratna Sahay & Jeromin Zettelmeyer & Pietro Garibaldi, 2002.
"What Moves Capital to Transition Economies?,"
IMF Working Papers
02/64, International Monetary Fund.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Leonardo Leiderman & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1993.
"Capital Inflows and Real Exchange Rate Appreciation in Latin America: The Role of External Factors,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(1), pages 108-151, March.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo & Leiderman, Leonardo, 1993. "“Capital Inflows and Real Exchange Rate Appreciation in Latin America: The Role of External Factors," MPRA Paper 7125, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Elaine Karen Buckberg, 1996. "Institutional Investors and Asset Pricing in Emerging Markets," IMF Working Papers 96/2, International Monetary Fund.
- Richard Portes & Hélène Rey, 2001.
"The Determinants of Cross-Border Equity Flows,"
DELTA Working Papers
2001-08, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Richard Portes & Helene Rey, 1999. "The Determinants of Cross-Border Equity Flows," NBER Working Papers 7336, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Portes, Richard & Rey, Hélène, 1999. "The Determinants of Cross-Border Equity Flows," CEPR Discussion Papers 2225, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Portes & Helene Rey, 2000. "The determinants of cross-border equity flows," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20203, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- R Portes & H Rey, 2000. "The Determinants Of Cross-Border Equity Flows," CEP Discussion Papers dp0446, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Brennan, Michael J & Cao, H Henry, 1997.
" International Portfolio Investment Flows,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 52(5), pages 1851-80, December.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Paul G.J. O'Connell & Mark S. Seasholes, 1998.
"The Portfolio Flows of International Investors, I,"
NBER Working Papers
6687, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chuhan, Punam & Claessens, Stijn & Mamingi, Nlandu, 1998. "Equity and bond flows to Latin America and Asia: the role of global and country factors," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 439-463, April.
- John Clark & Elizabeth Berko, 1997. "Foreign investment fluctuations and emerging market stock returns: the case of Mexico," Staff Reports 24, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- John M. Griffin & Federico Nardari & Rene M. Stulz, 2002. "Daily Cross-Border Equity Flows: Pushed or Pulled?," NBER Working Papers 9000, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- French, Kenneth R & Poterba, James M, 1991.
"Investor Diversification and International Equity Markets,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 81(2), pages 222-26, May.
- Kenneth R. French & James M. Poterba, 1991. "Investor Diversification and International Equity Markets," NBER Working Papers 3609, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo, 2000. "When Capital Inflows Come to a Sudden Stop: Consequences and Policy Options," MPRA Paper 6982, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Poonam Gupta & James P. F. Gordon, 2004. "Nonresident Deposits in India," IMF Working Papers 04/48, International Monetary Fund.
- Ministry of Finance, 2006. "Report of the Expert Group on Encouraging FII Flows and Checking the Vulnerability of Capital Markets to Speculative Flows," Working Papers id:351, eSocialSciences.
- Ladekarl, Jeppe & Zervos, Sara, 2004. "Housekeeping and plumbing - the investability of emerging markets," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3229, The World Bank.
- Poonam Gupta, 2005. "Macroeconomic Determinants of Remittances," IMF Working Papers 05/224, International Monetary Fund.
- Ajay Shah & Ila Patnaik, 2005. "India's Experience with Capital Flows: The Elusive Quest for a Sustainable Current Account Deficit," NBER Working Papers 11387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ladekarl, Jeppe & Zervos, Sara, 2004. "Housekeeping and plumbing: the investability of emerging markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 267-294, September.
- Faisal Ahmed & Rabah Arezki & Norbert Funke, 2007. "The composition of capital flows to South Africa," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(2), pages 275-294.
- Garg, Reetika & Dua, Pami, 2014.
"Foreign Portfolio Investment Flows to India: Determinants and Analysis,"
Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 16-28.
- Pami Dua & Reetika Garg, 2013. "Foreign Portfolio Investment Flows To India -- Determinants And Analysis," Working papers 225, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
- Norbert Funke & Faisal Ahmed & Rabah Arezki, 2005. "The Composition of Capital Flows," IMF Working Papers 05/40, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.