Welfare Implications of HIV/AIDS
AbstractThe paper evaluates the impact of HIV/AIDS on welfare in several countries affected by the HIV/AIDS epidemic. Unlike studies focusing on the impact of HIV/AIDS on GDP per capita, we evaluate the impact of increased mortality using estimates of the value of statistical life. Our results illustrate the catastrophic impact of HIV/AIDS in the worst-affected countries and suggest that studies focusing on GDP and income per capita capture only a very small proportion of the welfare impact of HIV/AIDS.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 03/118.
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sanghamitra Das & Abhiroop Mukhopadhyay & Tridip Ray, 2008.
"Negative reality of the HIV positives: Evaluating welfare loss in a low prevalence country,"
Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers
08-02, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Das, Sanghamitra & Mukhopadhyay, Abhiroop & Ray, Tridip, 2008. "Negative Reality of the HIV Positives: Evaluating Welfare Loss in a Low Prevalence Country," MPRA Paper 9946, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David Canning, 2006.
"The Economics of HIV/AIDS in Low-Income Countries: The Case for Prevention,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 20(3), pages 121-142, Summer.
- David Canning, 2006. "The Economics of HIV/AIDS in Low-Income Countries: The Case for Prevention," PGDA Working Papers 1806, Program on the Global Demography of Aging.
- Matías Vernengo, 2007. "Monetary Policies for an MDG-Related Scaling up of ODA to Combat HIV/AIDS:Avoiding Dutch Disease Versus Supporting Fiscal Expansion," Conference Paper 2, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Robert J. Brent, 2010. "A social cost-benefit criterion for evaluating Voluntary Counseling and Testing with an application to Tanzania," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(2), pages 154-172.
- Nicholas Crafts, 2004. "The world economy in the 1990s: a long run perspective," Economic History Working Papers 22334, London School of Economics and Political Science, Department of Economic History.
- Dean Jamison & Prabhat Jha & David E. Bloom, 2008. "Disease Control," PGDA Working Papers 3508, Program on the Global Demography of Aging.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.