Stock Markets and Real Exchange Rate
AbstractThe paper presents an N-country model with stock markets, in which a closed-form solution for the real exchange rate is derived. Risky asset prices and allocation of risky assets among countries are determined endogenously. Such a framework allows an analysis of how fundamental parameters, such as the variance and covariance of the risky assets or demographic variables, affect the real exchange rate. The predictions of the model are contrasted with the Balassa-Samuelson effect. A new transmission channel of the real exchange rate for parameters such as income on net foreign assets, risk aversion, and risk-hedging opportunities is also explored.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 03/109.
Date of creation: 01 May 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-04-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-FIN-2004-04-25 (Finance)
- NEP-IFN-2004-04-25 (International Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mercereau Benoit, 2003. "The Role of Stock Markets in Current Account Dynamics: a Time Series Approach," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-30, April.
- Steven J. Davis & Jeremy Nalewaik & Paul Willen, 2000. "On the Gains to International Trade in Risky Financial Assets," NBER Working Papers 7796, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- BenoÃ®t Mercereau, 2004.
"The Role of Stock Markets in Current Account Dynamics,"
IMF Working Papers
04/50, International Monetary Fund.
- BenoÃ®t Mercereau, 2003. "The Role of Stock Markets in Current Account Dynamics," IMF Working Papers 03/108, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.