Macroeconomic Adjustment in a Highly Dollarized Economy
AbstractCambodia became dollarized suddenly in the early 1990s, as a result of massive dollar inflows stemming from a postconflict situation. Considering that the amount of dollars in circulation is unusually high, we attempt to estimate the true degree of dollarization empirically. Our results show that Cambodia has been virtually fully dollarized since 1995. Against a background of severe institutional limitations, the authorities have implemented in recent years policies akin to those of a de facto currency board arrangement, in particular with respect to fiscal discipline. The paper concludes that this policy mix has been appropriate for Cambodia''s circumstances.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 02/92.
Date of creation: 01 May 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zeljko Bogetic, 2005. "Official Dollarization: Current Experiences and Issues, Cato Journal, Vol. 20, No. 2 (Fall 2000), 179-213," International Finance, EconWPA 0510006, EconWPA.
- Sahay, Ratna & Vegh, Carlos, 1995. "Dollarization in transition economies: Evidence and policy implications," MPRA Paper 20490, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrew Berg & Eduardo Borensztein, 2000.
"The Choice of Exchange Rate Regime and Monetary Target in Highly Dollarized Economies,"
Journal of Applied Economics,
Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 285-324, November.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Andrew Berg, 2000. "The Choice of Exchange Rate Regime and Monetary Target in Highly Dollarized Economies," IMF Working Papers 00/29, International Monetary Fund.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Andrew K. Rose, 2000. "Estimating the Effect of Currency Unions on Trade and Output," NBER Working Papers 7857, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:cto:journl:v:20:y:2000:i:2:p:179-213 is not listed on IDEAS
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo, 2001. "Reflections on Dollarization," MPRA Paper 8206, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1982. "Seigniorage and the Case for a National Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(2), pages 295-313, April.
- Ortiz, Guillermo, 1983. "Currency Substitution in Mexico: The Dollarization Problem," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 15(2), pages 174-85, May.
- Mohsin S. Khan & Pierre-Richard AgÃ©nor, 1992.
"Foreign Currency Deposits and the Demand for Money in Developing Countries,"
IMF Working Papers
92/1, International Monetary Fund.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Khan, Mohsin S., 1996. "Foreign currency deposits and the demand for money in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 101-118, June.
- Anonymous, 2001. "Cover Matter 2001," Proceedings: 2001 Regional Committee NC-221, October 1-2, 2001, McLean, Virginia, Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition 132381, Regional Research Committee NC-1014: Agricultural and Rural Finance Markets in Transition.
- מחקר - ביטוח לאומי, 2001. "Annual Survey 2000," Working Papers, National Insurance Institute of Israel 17, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- Poloz, Stephen S., 1986. "Currency substitution and the precautionary demand for money," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 115-124, March.
- Carlos A. VÃ©gh Gramont & Ratna Sahay, 1995. "Dollarization in Transition Economies," IMF Working Papers 95/96, International Monetary Fund.
- Bolbol, Ali A., 1999. "Seigniorage, Dollarization and Public Debt: The Lebanese Civil War and Recovery Experience, 1982-97," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 27(10), pages 1861-1873, October.
- זק בדנלק, 2001. "חברות בקופת חולים 1999-2000," Working Papers, National Insurance Institute of Israel 450, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- Joannes Mongardini & Johannes Mueller, 2000. "Ratchet Effects in Currency Substitution: An Application to the Kyrgyz Republic," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 47(2), pages 3.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Calvo, Guillermo, 1999. "Capital Flow Reversals,the Exchange Rate Debate,and Dollarization," MPRA Paper 8951, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler & Mark Watson, 1997.
"Systematic Monetary Policy and the Effects of Oil Price Shocks,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 28(1), pages 91-157.
- Bernanke, Ben S. & Gertler, Mark & Waston, Mark, 1997. "Systematic Monetary Policy and the Effects of Oil Price Shocks," Working Papers, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University 97-25, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Johannes Mueller, 1994. "Dollarization in Lebanon," IMF Working Papers 94/129, International Monetary Fund.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Milner, Chris & Mizen, Paul & Pentecost, Eric, 2000. "A Cross-Country Panel Analysis of Currency Substitution and Trade," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, Western Economic Association International, vol. 38(2), pages 206-17, April.
- repec:cto:journl:v:20:y:2000:i:1:p:43-47 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sarajevs, Vadims, 2000. "Econometric Analysis of Currency Substitution: A Case of Latvia," BOFIT Discussion Papers, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition 4/2000, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Adam Bennett & Eduardo Borensztein & TomÃ¡s J. T. BaliÃ±o, 1999. "Monetary Policy in Dollarized Economies," IMF Occasional Papers 171, International Monetary Fund.
- Vetlov, Igor, 2001. "Dollarization in Lithuania: An Econometric Approach," BOFIT Discussion Papers, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition 1/2001, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 2001. "What problems can dollarization solve?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 267-277, April.
- Nicolas A. Cuche & Martin K. Hess, 1999. "Estimating Monthly GDP In A General Kalman Filter Framework: Evidence From Switzerland," Working Papers 99.02, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- Samreth, Sovannroeun, 2008. "Estimating Money Demand Function in Cambodia: ARDL Approach," MPRA Paper 16274, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jun 2009.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.