Yield Spread As a Leading Indicator of Real Economic Activity
AbstractThere is growing evidence that the yield spread could serve as a leading indicator of real economic activity. This paper is an attempt to test this hypothesis for the Indian economy by relating movements in the yield spread in the government securities market to movements in the index of industrial production. The results show that yield spread could, inter alia, be considered as a leading indicator of industrial activity in India.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 02/91.
Date of creation: 01 May 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arturo Estrella & Frederic S. Mishkin, 1995.
"The Term Structure of Interest Rates and Its Role in Monetary Policy for The European Central Bank,"
NBER Working Papers
5279, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arturo Estrella & Frederic S. Mishkin, 1995. "The term structure of interest rates and its role in monetary policy for the European Central Bank," Research Paper, Federal Reserve Bank of New York 9526, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Bernard, Henri J & Gerlach, Stefan, 1998.
"Does the Term Structure Predict Recessions? The International Evidence,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
1892, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bernard, Henri & Gerlach, Stefan, 1998. "Does the Term Structure Predict Recessions? The International Evidence," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 3(3), pages 195-215, July.
- Henri Bernard & Stefan Gerlach, 1996. "Does the term structure predict recessions? The international evidence," BIS Working Papers 37, Bank for International Settlements.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1991. "A Multi-Country Study of the Information in the Term Structure about Future Inflation," NBER Working Papers 3125, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mishkin, Frederic S., 1991. "A multi-country study of the information in the shorter maturity term structure about future inflation," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 2-22, March.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1986. "Term premiums and default premiums in money markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 175-196, September.
- Estrella, Arturo & Hardouvelis, Gikas A, 1991.
" The Term Structure as a Predictor of Real Economic Activity,"
Journal of Finance, American Finance Association,
American Finance Association, vol. 46(2), pages 555-76, June.
- Arturo Estrella & Gikas A. Hardouvelis, 1989. "The term structure as a predictor of real economic activity," Research Paper, Federal Reserve Bank of New York 8907, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Charles L. Evans & David A. Marshall, 1997.
"Monetary policy and the term structure of nominal interest rates: evidence and theory,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago
WP-97-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Evans, Charles L. & Marshall, David A., 1998. "Monetary policy and the term structure of nominal interest rates: Evidence and theory," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 53-111, December.
- Stambaugh, Robert F., 1988. "The information in forward rates : Implications for models of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 41-70, May.
- Singh, Bhupal & Dhal, Sarat C., 1998. "Repo auction formats, bidders' behaviour and money market response in India," MPRA Paper 12147, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Catherine Bonser-Neal & Timothy R. Morley, 1997. "Does the yield spread predict real economic activity? : a multicountry analysis," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q III, pages 37-53.
- Peel, David A. & Taylor, Mark P., 1998. "The slope of the yield curve and real economic activity: tracing the transmission mechanism," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 353-360, June.
- Pami Dua & Nishita Raje, 2010.
"Determinants of Weekly Yields on Government Securities in India,"
Working papers, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics
187, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
- Pami Dua & Nishita Raje, 2010. "Determinants of Weekly Yields on Government Securities in India," Working Papers id:2834, eSocialSciences.
- Bhaduri, Saumitra & Saraogi, Ravi, 2010. "The predictive power of the yield spread in timing the stock market," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 261-272, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.