The Boom, Bust and Restructuring of Indonesian Banks
AbstractThis paper studies why currency and monetary shock hit Indonesia''s economy and banking sector so severely and the measures that were taken to deal with the banking crisis, the lessons learned, and challenges faced in restructuring and strengthening the banking system. The vulnerable state of the banking sector, in combination with exchange rate and interest rate shocks, led to a systemic banking crisis. The priorities for bank restructuring are to complete the separation of nonviable from viable banks, recoup losses, implement new rules and regulations, and develop an incentive-based system for the consolidation of banks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 02/66.
Date of creation: 01 Apr 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles Enoch, 2000. "Interventions in Banks During Banking Crises," IMF Policy Discussion Papers 00/2, International Monetary Fund.
- Leslie Teo & Charles Enoch & Carl-Johan Lindgren & TomÃ¡s J. T. BaliÃ±o & Anne Marie Gulde & Marc Quintyn, 2000. "Financial Sector Crisis and Restructuring," IMF Occasional Papers 188, International Monetary Fund.
- Caprio, Gerard Jr. & Klingebiel, Daniela, 1996. "Bank insolvencies : cross-country experience," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1620, The World Bank.
- Rasyad Parinduri & Yohanes Riyanto, 2011.
"Do banks respond to capital requirements? Evidence from Indonesia,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(9), pages 651-663.
- Rasyad A. Parinduri & Yohanes E. Riyanto, 2007. "Do Banks Respond to Capital Requirement? Evidence from Indonesia," Finance Working Papers 21932, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Rasyad A Parinduri & Yohanes E. Riyanto, 2007. "Do Banks Respond to Capital Requirement? Evidence from Indonesia," SCAPE Policy Research Working Paper Series 0712, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics, SCAPE.
- Rasyad A. Parinduri & Yohanes E. Riyanto, 2007.
"The effect of Strategic Sale of Banks: Evidence from Indonesia,"
SCAPE Policy Research Working Paper Series
0709, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics, SCAPE.
- Rasyad A. Parinduri & Yohanes E. Riyanto, 2007. "The effect of Strategic Sale of Banks : Evidence from Indonesia," Development Economics Working Papers 21923, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Glenn Hoggarth & Jack Reidhill & Peter Sinclair, 2004. "On the resolution of banking crises: theory and evidence," Bank of England working papers 229, Bank of England.
- Donsyah Yudistira, 2002. "The Impact of Bank Capital Requirements in Indonesia," Finance 0212002, EconWPA, revised 18 May 2003.
- Rahmatina A. Kasri, 2011. "Explaining the Twin Crises in Indonesia," Working Papers in Economics and Business 201102, Faculty of Economics, University of Indonesia, revised May 2011.
- Gary Gorton & Lixin Huang, 2002.
"Liquidity, Efficiency and Bank Bailouts,"
NBER Working Papers
9158, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen Grenville, 2004. "The IMF and the Indonesian crisis," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(1), pages 77-94.
- Aykut Kibritcioglu, 2002. "Monitoring Banking Sector Fragility," Macroeconomics 0206004, EconWPA, revised 05 Apr 2004.
- Margono, Heru & Sharma, Subhash C. & Melvin II, Paul D., 2010. "Cost efficiency, economies of scale, technological progress and productivity in Indonesian banks," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 53-65, February.
- Vicente Cu�At, 2009. "Finance for Development: Latin America in a Comparative Perspective. By BARBARA STALLINGS with ROGERIO STUDART," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 76(301), pages 216-217, 02.
- Siregar, Reza Y., 2002. "Interest Rate Policy And Its Implication On The Banking Restructuring Programs In Indonesia During The 1997-Financial Crisis: An Empirical Investigation," EIJS Working Paper Series 154, The European Institute of Japanese Studies.
- Ross Mcleod, 2006.
"Indonesia's new deposit guarantee law,"
Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(1), pages 59-78.
- Obben, James & Nugroho, Agus Eko, 2003. "Determinants Of The Funding Volatility Of Indonesian Banks: A Dynamic Model," Discussion Papers 23700, Massey University, Department of Applied and International Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.