Why White, Not Keynes? Inventing the Post-War International Monetary System
AbstractThe international monetary system is largely the product of negotiations during World War II between U.S. and U.K. officials, led respectively by Harry Dexter White and John Maynard Keynes. The design of the system, especially the International Monetary Fund, reflects the U.S. plan much more than the British. That outcome resulted not only from the superior economic position of the United States but also from differences between White''s and Keynes''s views on key issues. Examination of White''s economic papers shows that he was more multilateral than Keynes and placed a higher priority on monetary discipline.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 02/52.
Date of creation: 01 Mar 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert P. Flood & Peter Isard, 1989. "Monetary Policy Strategies," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(3), pages 612-632, September.
- James M. Boughton, 2001. "The Case against Harry Dexter White: Still Not Proven," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 33(2), pages 219-239, Summer.
- James M. Boughton, 2006. "American in the Shadows," IMF Working Papers 06/6, International Monetary Fund.
- James M. Boughton, 2004. "The IMF and the force of History," IMF Working Papers 04/75, International Monetary Fund.
- Muchlinski, Elke, 2004. "Kontroversen in der internationalen Währungspolitik: Retrospektive zu Keynes-White-Boughton & IMF," Discussion Papers 2004/1, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- Heinz Handler, 2008. "From the Bancor to the Euro. And Further on to the Intor?," WIFO Working Papers 317, WIFO.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.