Budget System Reform in Transitional Economies: The Experience of Russia
AbstractThis paper stresses the role of budget system reform in economies in transition as an essential basis for the implementation of effective fiscal policies. However, introducing such structural reforms in often unstable economic environments has not proved easy. Using Russia as a case study, the magnitude of the problems faced is documented, and the strategy of reform eventually adopted is critically reviewed. In conclusion, some lessons are drawn for other transitional countries undertaking similar reforms, and the future agenda for completing these reforms in Russia is indicated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 02/22.
Date of creation: 01 Feb 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Era Dabla-Norris & Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & John Norregaard, 2000. "Making Decentralization Work: The Case of Russia, Ukraine, and Kazakhstan," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0009, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- von Hagen, Jurgen & Harden, Ian J., 1995.
"Budget processes and commitment to fiscal discipline,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 771-779, April.
- International Monetary Fund, 1996. "Budget Processes and Commitment to Fiscal Discipline," IMF Working Papers 96/78, International Monetary Fund.
- Sergei V. Alexashenko & Augusto LÃ³pez-Claros, 1998. "Fiscal Policy: Issues During the Transition in Russia," IMF Occasional Papers 155, International Monetary Fund.
- James M. Poterba, 1996.
"Budget Institutions and Fiscal Policy in the U.S. States,"
NBER Working Papers
5449, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Poterba, James M, 1996. "Budget Institutions and Fiscal Policy in the U.S. States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 395-400, May.
- Lavrov, Aleksei & Litwack, John & Sutherland, Douglas, 2001. "Fiscal federalist relations in Russia: a case for subnational autonomy," MPRA Paper 26537, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jack Diamond, 2003. "Performance Budgeting: Managing the Reform Process," IMF Working Papers 03/33, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.