Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Turkey
AbstractIn light of the strong correlation between exchange rate movements and domestic prices in Turkey, it is important to assess the impact of the exchange rate on domestic prices, in particular as Turkey moves to an inflation targeting regime. This paper uses a recursive vector autoregression model to investigate the impact of exchange rate movements on prices in Turkey. We find that (i) the impact of the exchange rate on prices is over after about a year, but is mostly felt in the first four months, (ii) the pass-through to wholesale prices is more pronounced compared to the pass-through to consumer prices, and (iii) the estimated pass-through is complete in a shorter time and is larger than that estimated for other key emerging market countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 02/204.
Date of creation: 01 Nov 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Choudhri, Ehsan U. & Hakura, Dalia S., 2006.
"Exchange rate pass-through to domestic prices: Does the inflationary environment matter?,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 614-639, June.
- Dalia Hakura & Ehsan U. Choudhri, 2001. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Domestic Prices: Does the Inflationary Environment Matter?," IMF Working Papers 01/194, International Monetary Fund.
- J. McCarthy, 1999.
"Pass-through of exchange rates and import prices to domestic inflation in some industrialised economies,"
BIS Working Papers
79, Bank for International Settlements.
- Jonathan McCarthy, 2007. "Pass-Through of Exchange Rates and Import Prices to Domestic Inflation in Some Industrialized Economies," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 33(4), pages 511-537, Fall.
- Jonathan McCarthy, 2000. "Pass-through of exchange rates and import prices to domestic inflation in some industrialized economies," Staff Reports 111, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Ilan Goldfajn & Sérgio Ribeiro da Costa Werlang, 2000.
"The Pass-through from Depreciation to Inflation: A Panel Study,"
Working Papers Series
5, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Ilan Goldfajn & Sergio R.C. Werlang, 2000. "The pass-through from depreciation to inflation : a panel study," Textos para discussÃ£o 423, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Leo Bonato & Andreas Billmeier, 2002.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through and Monetary Policy in Croatia,"
IMF Working Papers
02/109, International Monetary Fund.
- Billmeier, Andreas & Bonato, Leo, 2004. "Exchange rate pass-through and monetary policy in Croatia," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 426-444, September.
- Ashok Bhundia, 2002. "An Empirical Investigation of Exchange Rate Pass-Through in South Africa," IMF Working Papers 02/165, International Monetary Fund.
- Dibooglu, Sel & Kibritcioglu, Aykut, 2004.
"Inflation, output growth, and stabilization in Turkey, 1980-2002,"
Journal of Economics and Business,
Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 43-61.
- Sel Dibooglu & Aykut Kibritcioglu, 2003. "Inflation, Output Growth, and Stabilization in Turkey, 1980-2002," Macroeconomics 0306001, EconWPA.
- Faruk SelÃ§uk, 2005. "The Policy Challenge with Floating Exchange Rates: Turkeyâ€™s Recent Experience," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 295-312, July.
- Levent, Korap, 2006. "An empirical analysis of Turkish inflation (1988-2004): some non-monetarist estimations," MPRA Paper 19630, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hande Kucuk & Burc Tuger, 2004.
"Relative Price Variability : The Case Of Turkey 1994-2002,"
0402, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Hande Kucuk-Tuger & Burc Tuger, 2004. "Relative Price Variability : The Case of Turkey 1994-2002," Central Bank Review, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey, vol. 4(2), pages 1-40.
- Aykut Kibritcioglu, 2004. "A Short Review of the Long History of Turkish High Inflation," Macroeconomics 0404003, EconWPA.
- Yilmazkuday, Hakan, 2011.
"Monetary policy and credit cards: Evidence from a small open economy,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 201-210, January.
- Yilmazkuday, Hakan, 2011. "Monetary policy and credit cards: Evidence from a small open economy," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 201-210.
- Hakan Yilmazkuday, 2010. "Monetary Policy and Credit Cards: Evidence from a Small-Open Economy," DETU Working Papers 1010, Department of Economics, Temple University.
- Federico Marongiu, 2004. "Devaluación e Inflacion en Argentina despues de la Convertibilidad," Macroeconomics 0404013, EconWPA.
- Jiang, Jiadan & Kim, David, 2013. "Exchange rate pass-through to inflation in China," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 900-912.
- Levent, Korap, 2008. "A monetary model of TL/US$ exchange rate: a co-integrating approach," MPRA Paper 20389, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Zulfiqar Hyder & Sardar Shah, 2005.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Domestic Prices in Pakistan,"
- Zulfiqar Hyder & Sardar Shah, 2005. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Domestic Prices in Pakistan," Macroeconomics 0510020, EconWPA.
- Antonio Forte, 2009.
"The pass-through effect: a twofold analysis,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI_RP_2009_08, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Caglar Yunculer, 2011. "Pass-Through of External Factors into Price Indicators In Turkey," Central Bank Review, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey, vol. 11(2), pages 71-84.
- Cagri Sarikaya & Fethi Ogunc & Dilara Ece & Hakan Kara & Umit Ozlale, 2005. "Estimating Output Gap for the Turkish Economy," Working Papers 0503, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Jinbin Wang & Nan Li, 2010. "Exchange rate pass-through: The case of China," Frontiers of Economics in China, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 356-374, September.
- Kenji Moriyama, 2008. "Investigating Inflation Dynamics in Sudan," IMF Working Papers 08/189, International Monetary Fund.
- Carlos de Almeida Cardoso & Flávio Vilela Vieira, 2004. "Câmbio, Inflação E Juros Na Transição Do Regime Cambial Brasileiro: Uma Análise De Vetores Auto-Regressivos E Causalidade," Anais do XXXII Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 32th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 080, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Nikolay Gueorguiev, 2003. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Romania," IMF Working Papers 03/130, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.