Islamic Financial Institutions and Products in the Global Financial System: Key Issues in Risk Management and Challenges Ahead
AbstractThe provision and use of financial services and products that conform to Islamic religious principles pose special challenges for the identification, measurement, monitoring, and control of underlying risks. Effective and efficient risk management in Islamic financial institutions has assumed particular importance as they endeavor to cope with the challenges of globalization. This requires the development of not only a more suitable regulatory framework, but also new financial instruments and institutional arrangements to provide an enabling operational environment for Islamic finance. The recent establishment of the Islamic Financial Services Board, facilitated by the IMF, addresses these needs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 02/192.
Date of creation: 01 Nov 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- International Monetary Fund, 1998. "Monetary Operations and Government Debt Management Under Islamic Banking," IMF Working Papers 98/144, International Monetary Fund.
- repec:imf:imfocp:49 is not listed on IDEAS
- Luca Errico & Mitra Farahbaksh, 1998. "Islamic Banking - Issues in Prudential Regulations and Supervision," IMF Working Papers 98/30, International Monetary Fund.
- Martin CihÃ¡k & Heiko Hesse, 2008.
"Islamic Banks and Financial Stability: An Empirical Analysis,"
IMF Working Papers
08/16, International Monetary Fund.
- Martin Čihák & Heiko Hesse, 2010. "Islamic Banks and Financial Stability: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 95-113, December.
- Mariani Abdul-Majid & David Saal & Giuliana Battisti, 2010. "Efficiency in Islamic and conventional banking: an international comparison," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 25-43, August.
- Kablan, Sandrine & Yousfi, Ouidad, 2011. "Performance of islamic banks across the world: an empirical analysis over the period 2001-2008," MPRA Paper 28695, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 07 Feb 2011.
- Giorgio Gomel & Angelo Cicogna & Domenico De Falco & Marco Valerio Della Penna & Lorenzo Di Bona De Sarzana & Angela Di Maria & Patrizia Di Natale & Alessandra Freni & Sergio Masciantonio & Giacomo Od, 2010. "Islamic finance and conventional financial systems. Market trends, supervisory perspectives and implications for central banking activity," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 73, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Bacha, Obiyathulla I., 2004. "Value Preservation through Risk Management - A Shariah Compliant Proposal for Equity Risk Management," MPRA Paper 12632, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Apr 2003.
- El-Hawary, Dahlia & Grais, Wafik & Iqbal, Zamir, 2007. "Diversity in the regulation of Islamic Financial Institutions," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 46(5), pages 778-800, February.
- Ahmad M. Mashal, 2012. "Islamic Financial in the Global Financial System," Asian Economic and Financial Review, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 2(1), pages 207-223, March.
- Al Ajlouni, Ahmed, 2004. "Developing Strategies for Islamic Banks to Face the Future Challenges of Financial Globalization," MPRA Paper 13581, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jul 2007.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.