Bankruptcy Procedures for Sovereigns: A History of Ideas, 1976--2001
AbstractThis paper describes the evolution of ideas to apply bankruptcy reorganization principles to sovereign debt crises. Our focus is on policy proposals between the late 1970s and Anne Krueger's (2001) proposed "Sovereign Debt-Restructuring Mechanism," with brief reference to the economics literature on sovereign debt. We describe the perceived inefficiencies that motivate proposals, and how proposals seek to change debtor and creditor incentives. We find that there has been a moving concensus on what constitutes the underlying problem, but not on how to fix it. The range of proposed approaches remains broad and only recently shows some signs of narrowing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 02/133.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Kenneth Rogoff & Jeromin Zettelmeyer, 2002. "Bankruptcy Procedures for Sovereigns: A History of Ideas, 1976-2001," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 49(3), pages 8.
- B29 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought since 1925 - - - Other
- B30 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought: Individuals - - - General
- F02 - International Economics - - General - - - International Economic Order; Noneconomic International Organizations;; Economic Integration and Globalization: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krugman, Paul, 1988.
"Financing vs. forgiving a debt overhang,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 253-268, November.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Philip R. Lane, 2013.
"Growth And Adjustment Challenges For The Euro Area,"
The Economic and Social Review,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 44(2), pages 273-295.
- Philip R. Lane, 2013. "Growth and Adjustment Challenge for the Euro Area," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp426, IIIS.
- Philip R. Lane, 2013. "Growth and Adjustment Challenge for the Euro Area," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp427, IIIS.
- Federico Weinschelbaum & Jose Wynne, 2004.
"Renegotiation, Collective Action Clauses and Sovereign Debt Markets,"
75, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Aug 2004.
- Weinschelbaum, Federico & Wynne, Jose, 2005. "Renegotiation, collective action clauses and sovereign debt markets," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 47-72, September.
- JosÃ© Wynne & Federico Weinschelbaum, 2004. "Renegotiation, Collective Action Clauses and Sovereign Debt Markets," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 153, Econometric Society.
- Jose Wynne & Federico Weinschelbaum, 2004. "Renegotiation, Collective Action Clauses and Sovereign Debt Markets," 2004 Meeting Papers 7, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Laura Alfaro & Fabio Kanczuk, 2006.
"Sovereign Debt: Indexation and Maturity,"
Research Department Publications
4459, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Patrick Bolton & Olivier Jeanne, 2005.
"Structuring and Restructuring Sovereign Debt: The Role of Seniority,"
NBER Working Papers
11071, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bolton, Patrick & Jeanne, Olivier, 2005. "Structuring and Restructuring Sovereign Debt: The Role of Seniority," CEPR Discussion Papers 4901, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rohan Pitchford & Mark L. J. Wright, 2012.
"Holdouts in Sovereign Debt Restructuring: A Theory of Negotiation in a Weak Contractual Environment,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 79(2), pages 812-837.
- Rohan Pitchford & Mark L. J. Wright, 2010. "Holdouts in Sovereign Debt Restructuring: A Theory of Negotiation in a Weak Contractual Environment," NBER Working Papers 16632, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rohan Pitchford & Mark L. J. Wright, 2008. "Holdouts In Sovereign Debt Restructuring: A Theory Of Negotiation In A Weak Contractual Environment," CAMA Working Papers 2008-37, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Patrick Bolton & Olivier Jeanne, 2007.
"Structuring and Restructuring Sovereign Debt: The Role of a Bankruptcy Regime,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 115(6), pages 901-924, December.
- Patrick Bolton & Olivier Jeanne, 2007. "Structuring and Restructuring Sovereign Debt: The Role of a Bankruptcy Regime," IMF Working Papers 07/192, International Monetary Fund.
- Ugo Panizza & Federico Sturzenegger & Jeromin Zettelmeyer, 2010.
"International Government Debt,"
Business School Working Papers
2010-03, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Ugo Panizza, 2013. "Do We Need a Mechanism for Solving Sovereign Debt Crises? A Rule-Based Discussion," IHEID Working Papers 03-2013, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Marco Committeri & Francesco Spadafora, 2013.
"You Never Give Me Your Money? Sovereign Debt Crises, Collective Action Problems, and IMF Lending,"
IMF Working Papers
13/20, International Monetary Fund.
- Marco Committeri & Francesco Spadafora, 2013. "You never give me your money? Sovereign debt crises, collective action problems, and IMF lending," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 143, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Prokop, Jacek, 2012. "Bargaining over debt rescheduling," MPRA Paper 44315, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- De Paoli, Bianca & Hoggarth, Glenn & Saporta, Victoria, 2009. "Output costs of sovereign crises: some empirical estimates," Bank of England working papers 362, Bank of England.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.