AbstractAgainst the background of Mexico''s persistently high degree of inequality, this paper analyzes the country''s experience with pro-poor policies over the last decade. A number of important government initiatives, implemented since the mid-1990s, have aimed at improving distributional equity through pro-poor expenditure programs, while at the same time seeking to increase the efficiency of public spending. This paper reviews these initiatives and outlines some additional policy options.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 02/12.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- World Bank, 2004. "Mexico : Public Expenditure Review, Volume 2. Main Report," World Bank Other Operational Studies 15660, The World Bank.
- Gabriela Inchauste & Ana Corbacho & Mercedes Garcia-Escribano, 2003. "Argentina," IMF Working Papers 03/89, International Monetary Fund.
- Shirkosh, Mehdi, 2005. "The Case for an International Minimum Wage in the Context of Free Trade," MPRA Paper 2463, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Moises J Schwartz & Xie Ping & Y Venugopal Reddy, 2002. "Discussion of 'China as a Window to the World: Trade Openness, Living Standards and Income Inequality' and 'Towards an Indian Approach to Globalisation'," RBA Annual Conference Volume, Reserve Bank of Australia, in: David Gruen & Terry O'Brien & Jeremy Lawson (ed.), Globalisation, Living Standards and Inequality: Recent Progress and Continuing Challenges Reserve Bank of Australia.
- World Bank, 2003. "Azerbaijan : Public Expenditure Review," World Bank Other Operational Studies 13825, The World Bank.
- Caroline Harper & Nicola Jones & Andy McKay, 2010. "Including Children in Policy Responses to Economic Crises," Working papers, UNICEF,Division of Policy and Strategy 1003, UNICEF,Division of Policy and Strategy.
- Gerardo Esquivel, 2011.
"The Dynamics of Income Inequality in Mexico since NAFTA,"
JOURNAL OF LACEA ECONOMIA,
LACEA - LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION.
- Gerardo Esquivel, 2010. "The dynamics of income inequality in Mexico since NAFTA," Serie documentos de trabajo del Centro de Estudios EconÃ³micos, El Colegio de MÃ©xico, Centro de Estudios EconÃ³micos 2010-09, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.