Stress Testing of Financial Systems: An Overview of Issues, Methodologies, and FSAP Experiences
AbstractThe paper has three objectives. After a general introduction to some of the concepts and basic techniques of stress testing, the paper gives an overview of some of the conceptual issues involved in evaluating risks at the aggregated level of financial systems. Second, this study provides a basic framework and toolkit for conducting stress tests. Finally, the paper reviews some of the stress-testing analyses conducted in the context of the Financial Sector Assessment Program (FSAP) and suggests simplified approaches to deal with situations where the quantity and quality of the data is less than ideal.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 01/88.
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Albert, Jose Ramon G. & Ng, Thiam Hee, 2012. "Assessing the Resilience of ASEAN Banking Systems: the Case of the Philippines," Discussion Papers DP 2012-23, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Albert, Jose Ramon & Ng, Thiam Hee, 2012. "Assessing the Resilience of ASEAN Banking Systems: The Case of the Philippines," Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration 93, Asian Development Bank.
- Siregar, Reza, 2011.
"Macro-Prudential Approaches to Banking Regulation: Perspectives of Selected Asian Central Banks,"
ADBI Working Papers
325, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Reza Siregar, 2011. "Macro-Prudential Approaches to Banking Regulation : Perspectives of Selected Asian Central Banks," Finance Working Papers 23211, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Reza Siregar, 2011. "Macro-Prudential Approaches to Banking Regulation : Perspectives of Selected Asian Central Banks," Macroeconomics Working Papers 23211, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Gary Gorton & Arvind Krishnamurthy, 2012.
NBER Macroeconomics Annual,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(1), pages 149 - 176.
- Jan Willem van den End & Marco Hoeberichts & Mostafa Tabbae, 2006. "Modelling Scenario Analysis and Macro Stress-testing," DNB Working Papers 119, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Antonio Garcia Pascual & Nada Choueiri & Ritu Basu, 2006. "Financial Sector Projections and Stress Testing in Financial Programming: A New Framework," IMF Working Papers 06/33, International Monetary Fund.
- Antonella Foglia, 2009. "Stress Testing Credit Risk: A Survey of Authorities' Aproaches," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 5(3), pages 9-45, September.
- Virolainen , Kimmo, 2004. "Macro stress testing with a macroeconomic credit risk model for Finland," Research Discussion Papers 18/2004, Bank of Finland.
- Biswa N. Bhattacharyay & Dennis Dlugosch & Benedikt Kolb & Kajal Lahiri & Irshat Mukhametov & Gernot Nerb, 2009. "Early Warning System for Economic and Financial Risks in Kazakhstan," CESifo Working Paper Series 2832, CESifo Group Munich.
- Mizuho Kida, 2008. "A macro stress testing model with feedback effects," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series DP2008/08, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- W. Scott Frame & Lawrence J. White, 2009.
"Technological Change, Financial Innovation, and Diffusion in Banking,"
09-03, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- W. Scott Frame & Lawrence J. White, 2009. "Technological change, financial innovation, and diffusion in banking," Working Paper 2009-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Dovern, Jonas & Meier, Carsten-Patrick & Vilsmeier, Johannes, 2010.
"How resilient is the German banking system to macroeconomic shocks?,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1839-1848, August.
- Jonas Dovern & Carsten-Patrick Meier & Johannes Vilsmeier, 2008. "How Resilient is the German Banking System to Macroeconomic Shocks?," Kiel Working Papers 1419, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Alexei Kireyev, 2002. "Liberalization of Trade in Financial Services and Financial Sector Stability (Analytical Approach)," IMF Working Papers 02/138, International Monetary Fund.
- Sebastiano Laviola & Juri Marcucci & Mario Quagliariello, 2006.
"Stress testing credit risk: experience from the italian FSAP,"
BNL Quarterly Review,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 59(238), pages 269-291.
- Sebastiano Laviola & Juri Marcucci & Mario Quagliariello, 2006. "Stress testing credit risk: experience from the italian FSAP," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 59(238), pages 269-291.
- Martin Èihák, 2005. "Stress Testing of Banking Systems (in English)," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 55(9-10), pages 418-440, September.
- Eric Santor, 2003. "Banking Crises and Contagion: Empirical Evidence," Working Papers 03-1, Bank of Canada.
- Martin Cihak, 2004. "Designing Stress Tests for the Czech Banking System," Research and Policy Notes 2004/03, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Mario Quagliariello, . "Banks' Performance over the Business Cycle: A Panel Analysis on Italian Intermediaries," Discussion Papers 04/17, Department of Economics, University of York.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.