Domestic Petroleum Price Smoothing in Developing and Transition Countries
AbstractThis paper examines the case for government-led smoothing of domestic petroleum prices in the face of volatile international prices. Governments in most developing and transition countries engage in petroleum price smoothing, as the survey of country practice carried out for this paper shows. This paper reviews the potential welfare implications of petroleum price volatility, and assesses different price smoothing rules on the basis of historical oil prices. These simulations reveal the presence of a sharp trade-off between price smoothing and fiscal stability, suggesting that developing and transition country governments should engage in limited price smoothing and, if possible, rely on hedging instruments to do so.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 01/75.
Date of creation: 01 May 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Wickham, 1996. "Volatility of Oil Prices," IMF Working Papers 96/82, International Monetary Fund.
- Angus Deaton, 1989.
"Saving and Liquidity Constraints,"
NBER Working Papers
3196, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodrigo O. ValdÃ©s & Eduardo Engel, 2000.
"Optimal Fiscal Strategy for Oil Exporting Countries,"
IMF Working Papers
00/118, International Monetary Fund.
- Eduardo M.R.A. Engel & Rodrigo Valdés, 2000. "Optimal Fiscal Strategy for Oil Exporting Countries," Documentos de Trabajo 78, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Kletzer, Ken & Newbery, David M & Wright, Brian D, 1992.
"Smoothing Primary Exporters' Price Risks: Bonds, Futures, Options and Insurance,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 44(4), pages 641-71, October.
- Kletzer, K.M. & Newbery, D.M., 1991. "Smoothing Primary Exporters' Price Risks: Bonds, Futures, Options and Insurance," Papers 647, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- A. Mazaheri, 1999. "Convenience yield, mean reverting prices, and long memory in the petroleum market," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(1), pages 31-50.
- Paxson, Christina H, 1992. "Using Weather Variability to Estimate the Response of Savings to Transitory Income in Thailand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 15-33, March.
- Massell, Benton F, 1969. "Price Stabilization and Welfare," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 83(2), pages 284-98, May.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J & Shalit, Haim & Schmitz, Andrew, 1980. "Consumer's Surplus, Price Instability, and Consumer Welfare," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 135-52, January.
- Paul Cashin & C John McDermott & Alasdair Scott, 1999.
"Booms and slumps in world commodity prices,"
Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series
G99/8, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Leon, Javier & Soto, Raimundo, 1995.
"Structural breaks and long-run trends in commodity prices,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1406, The World Bank.
- Javier Le�N & Raimundo Soto, 1997. "Structural Breaks And Long-Run Trends In Commodity Prices," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(3), pages 347-366.
- Avinash Dixit, 1992. "Investment and Hysteresis," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(1), pages 107-132, Winter.
- Paul Cashin & Hong Liang & C. John McDermott, 2000.
"How Persistent Are Shocks to World Commodity Prices?,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 47(2), pages 2.
- Hong Liang & C. John McDermott & Paul Cashin, 1999. "How Persistent Are Shocks to World Commodity Prices?," IMF Working Papers 99/80, International Monetary Fund.
- Nickell, Stephen, 1985. "Error Correction, Partial Adjustment and All That: An Expository Note," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 47(2), pages 119-29, May.
- Paterson, Anna, 2005. "Understanding Markets in Afghanistan: A Study of the Market for Petroleum Fuels," Case Studies 14634, Afghanistan Research and Evaluation Unit.
- Arze del Granado, Francisco Javier & Coady, David & Gillingham, Robert, 2012.
"The Unequal Benefits of Fuel Subsidies: A Review of Evidence for Developing Countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(11), pages 2234-2248.
- David Coady & Javier Arze del Granado, 2010. "The Unequal Benefits of Fuel Subsidies: A Review of Evidence for Developing Countries," IMF Working Papers 10/202, International Monetary Fund.
- José Gallardo & Arturo Vásquez & Luis Bendezú, 2005. "La Problemática de los Precios de los Combustibles," Working Papers 11, OSINERGMIN, Oficina de Estudios Economicos.
- Hafedh Bouakez & Nooman Rebei & Désiré Vencatachellum, 2008. "Optimal Pass-Through of Oil Prices in an Economy with Nominal Rigidities," Cahiers de recherche 0831, CIRPEE.
- Daniel Artana & Fernando Navajas & Marcelo Catena, 2007.
"El Shock de los Precios del Petróleo en América Central: Implicancias Fiscales y Energéticas,"
Research Department Publications
4556, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Daniel Artana, Marcelo Catena y Fernando Navajas & Fernando Navajas & Marcelo Catena, 2007. "El Shock de los Precios del Petróleo en América Central: Implicancias Fiscales y Energéticas," Working Papers 94, FIEL.
- David Coady & Taimur Baig & Joseph Ntamatungiro & Amine Mati, 2007. "Domestic Petroleum Product Prices and Subsidies: Recent Developments and Reform Strategies," IMF Working Papers 07/71, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.