Bank Debit Taxes in Latin America
AbstractSix Latin American countries have levied taxes on withdrawals from bank accounts, which have been viewed as a convenient tax handle during a difficult fiscal period. The paper reviews the arguments for and against this type of taxation, describes the taxes, and surveys their revenue performance and economic impact. It concludes that the recently implemented taxes have been successful in raising revenue in the short term, but that adverse allocational impacts have likely been significant. The tax may work better in times of fiscal crisis, when financial intermediation is deep, and when the tax rate is modest.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Monetary Fund in its series IMF Working Papers with number 01/67.
Date of creation: 01 May 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: International Monetary Fund, Washington, DC USA
Phone: (202) 623-7000
Fax: (202) 623-4661
Web page: http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cintra, Marcos, 2009. "Tax paradigms, globalization, and the electronic revolution," Textos para discussÃ£o 238, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Pedro Albuquerque, 2006.
"BAD taxation: Disintermediation and illiquidity in a bank account debits tax model,"
International Tax and Public Finance, Springer,
Springer, vol. 13(5), pages 601-624, September.
- Pedro H. Albuquerque, 2005. "BAD Taxation: Disintermediation and Illiquidity in a Bank Account Debits Tax Model," Public Economics, EconWPA 0511019, EconWPA, revised 27 Nov 2005.
- María Angélica Arbeláez Restrepo & Leonard E. Burman & Sandra Consuelo Zuluaga, 2004. "The bank debit tax in Colombia," WORKING PAPERS SERIES. DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO, FEDESARROLLO 003565, FEDESARROLLO.
- Victor Duarte Lledo, 2005. "Tax Systems Under Fiscal Adjustment," IMF Working Papers 05/142, International Monetary Fund.
- Sergio Clavijo, 2005. "TRIBUTACION, EQUIDAD Y EFICIENCIA EN COLOMBIA: Guía para Salir de un Sistema Tributario Amalgamado," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003663, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Cintra, Marcos, 2009. "Bank transactions: pathway to the single tax ideal A modern tax technology;the Brazilian experience with a bank transactions tax (1993-2007)," MPRA Paper 16710, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jim Beardow) or (Hassan Zaidi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.